Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2016, 05:54 PM   #15

Dupe
wildmanbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #16

Dupe
Old 11-27-2016, 06:46 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Sounds like it lost throttle info in the ECU. I would try to find a shop that can perform a throttle re-learn.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:49 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
Pull codes
Without the fault codes there's no telling what's wrong. Staring with model year 2006 the throttle is fly-by-wire and if the engine management system isn't happy, for any number of reasons, you're not going anywhere soon.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:27 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
$25-30.00 will get you a code reader to check out logged codes . Then you will have a better idea of the problem.
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:58 AM   #20

So I hooked up a code reader and got 2 codes. P2112 and P2104. I took off the intake and the throttle moves when the engine is off with the Key in the accessories position. So so I guess that's good that the throttle works. I am thinking maybe a bad throttle position sensor based on the codes. I could order a new sensor for around $75 and install it myself and clear the codes and hopefully be up and running again. We cancelled a camping trip this week already because of this mess. The Ford dealer is backed up with 6 other coaches and he said that he would not be able to get to it for at least 2 weeks.
mikey1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:18 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check RockAuto for your parts...

I Googled the error codes, there seems to be a lot of throttle body issues with this code. Rock Auto has a reman throttle body for $140.

Read through this thread - Its a class C but has same V10 engine.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/2005-...te-172272.html

Interesting - Scroll down to post #17......
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:50 AM   #22

Mikey, I would call around to repair shops to see if they would work on it. The V10 was in quite a few Fords, 3/4 ton pickups, vans, and navigators. Truck repair would be a good option. Don't limit yourself to just Ford dealers. This problem is not just limited to MHs.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Post #17 was mine. Throttle motor was actually jammed which made it pretty easy to figure out. With the engine off it took a bit of effort to move the throttle body butterflies. Still running fine three years after a driveway repair.

When you power up, but before the engine starts, the throttle will do a self test which includes commanding it to full open and back to closed. If the feed back is other than what the system expected it will drop the throttle to idle only which is what mine did.

If your code reader can do a continuous update of the throttle position it's pretty easy to check it, even with the engine off but powered applied. P2112 is the fault while P2104 is advisory.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:53 PM   #24

Codes

I put a code reader on and it gave me 2 codes. P2104 and P2112. I'm done messing with it and risking further damage. I have tried all the things you guys have suggested and I thank you for the guidance. A hard lesson learned. Don't mess with the battery if you don't know exactly what you are doing. These new engines are no longer plug and play like the good ole days. So, It is getting towed to the Ford dealer next week. I will post the outcome and cost of damages so everyone else will know what they will be up against if they decide to disconnect the chassis battery or replace it themselves.
mikey1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1011 View Post
I put a code reader on and it gave me 2 codes. P2104 and P2112. I'm done messing with it and risking further damage. I have tried all the things you guys have suggested and I thank you for the guidance. A hard lesson learned. Don't mess with the battery if you don't know exactly what you are doing. These new engines are no longer plug and play like the good ole days. So, It is getting towed to the Ford dealer next week. I will post the outcome and cost of damages so everyone else will know what they will be up against if they decide to disconnect the chassis battery or replace it themselves.
Definitely will be looking forward to that update. Good luck man.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:44 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Somewhere on the Ford Chassis Forum I read that depressing the throttle down to any extent while starting will reset the throttle position sensor. I have not been able to find the post.

If you are in the habit of putting your foot on the throttle when starting, don't. IMHO it would be worth a try to restart your engine being sure not to touch the throttle and leave it run a few minutes to see if it relearns before depressing the throttle. Just changing the battery will cause a relearn period, but should not cause what you are experiencing.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckBBAS/non-html/Q130.pdf
Old 12-02-2016, 12:59 PM   #27

I have heard of this happening before, although I recently replaced my starting battery in my 07 Sea Breeze / 06 chassis and had no issue. I wish I could remember the where I read the solution? It involved re-setting or replacing the ECM.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #28

I've got manual battery disconnect (like the one in the pic below) on the negative side of my chassis battery. It's been used probably a 100 times at least. No effect on the engine.
Attached Images

emcee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, v10