Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2016, 08:55 AM   #1

Ford V10 throttle dead

I disconnected my battery from my 2007 Damon Challenger 376 due to some hydraulic leveler pump problems. I fixed that and. Ow when I start the coach, a wrench and engine light come on, it starts rough, and the throttle is not responsive so now I can't drive it. Any suggestions?
mikey1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #2

Check your work, usually it's related to the ladt thing you just monkey'd with
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #3

All I did was disconnect the negative lead off the battery for a few minutes and then put it back on. I'm not sure how that would affect the engine this badly.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1011 View Post
All I did was disconnect the negative lead off the battery for a few minutes and then put it back on. I'm not sure how that would affect the engine this badly.
Try disconnecting the battery once again, and wait a few minutes before reconnecting. This may reflash the computer which appears to be throwing a code that occurred when the battery was disconnected initially.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I disconnected my battery from my 2007 Damon Challenger 376 due to some hydraulic leveler pump problems. I fixed that and. Ow when I start the coach, a wrench and engine light come on, it starts rough, and the throttle is not responsive so now I can't drive it. Any suggestions?
Go to the Ford chassis forum its listed under the RV Forums.

I have been told the throttle is a drive by wire system, should find the answer there by doing a search. Or start another thread.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:02 PM   #6

Awesome! Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it responds. I'll also check the ford forum. Unfortunately I won't be able to go back to our RV for a few weeks.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #7

still isles rough

So I disconnected the battery again and charged it overnight and then reconnected it starting with + first. I started it up and it idled like crap for a minute and then idled good. However I can't get anymore than 1100 rpm with the accelerator down and it still idled rough. I'm unsure what the heck the problem would be. I mean, we all change a battery and this shouldn't mess up an engine like this. Also the wrench and engine lights are still on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1614.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	144895  
Old 11-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #8

Quote:
So I disconnected the battery again and charged it overnight and then reconnected it starting with + first. I started it up and it idled like crap for a minute and then idled good. However I can't get anymore than 1100 rpm with the accelerator down and it still idled rough. I'm unsure what the heck the problem would be. I mean, we all change a battery and this shouldn't mess up an engine like this. Also the wrench and engine lights are still on
Man I'm so sorry what a bummer.

Not sure what battery you disconnected but the house bats neg. cable is one thing. Disconnecting the chassis neg cable is another because the engines PCM board can and usually is affected and produces the symptoms your describing.

The old days of just disconnecting or changing out a chassis battery are long gone. You should always use a 12v backup power supply BEFORE you disconnect because of the complexity of computer systems these days. My user manual mentions this too. I don't know how to advise you at this point but many cars & trucks that go through this sometimes the only way they can be restored is for the dealer to reconfig. their PCM and I think reflash. There may be other short term fixes that I'm not aware of. There may be a outside chance that "5 Star Tune" might be able to help you since they deal with so many gas MH's. Worth a call. Or if you have Coach-Net Roadside Assistance they may be equipped to help you.

Please let us know how you eventually resolve this issue.

Here's a really good instruction sheet that explains this issue and the proper procedure:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/batter...t_problems.htm
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Dead throttle after battery disconnected

Hi, Sounds like you may have to get a service center involved if it's this problem--- 05 F550 V10 extreme low idle on start up with no accelerator
I would try to do a re-flash (disconnect and reconnect battery) and then try to get your ECM to re-learn the signal from the throttle sending unit.
Good luck.
Or try this---
1-Warm the engine, but hold your foot on the throttle as necessary to keep the engine running.
2-With the transmission in Park, slowly release the throttle so that the engine will idle on its own. You may have to work at this a bit.
3-Let the engine idle on its own for about one minute.
4-Continue to let the engine idle and with your foot on the brake, place the transmission in Drive and let the engine idle for another minute.
5-Continue to let the engine idle with your foot on the brake and the transmission in Drive. Turn the A/C on and let the engine idle for another minute with the A/C compressor running.
6-Turn the ignition off and wait a minute.
If this corrects your problem—great! If not, you may need the help of your local service technician.
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:05 PM   #10

Disconnecting a battery from a late model engine can't break it.

It may have some drivability issues for a few miles but nothing that would need to be repaired. That don't make sense.

The OP didn't break his engine unhooking the battery.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #11

Pull codes
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:52 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Disconnecting a battery from a late model engine can't break it.

It may have some drivability issues for a few miles but nothing that would need to be repaired. That don't make sense.

The OP didn't break his engine unhooking the battery.
Unless there was a fan motor or something that could have caused a voltage spike. Could be bad for the ECM (PCM), as they don't like shocks! That's why you always disconnect the battery/Batteries if you are going to weld with an arc welder.
By all means, check for logged codes, but you will probably have to run it a while to get the check engine light to come back on.
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:37 PM   #13

Dupe.
wildmanbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:43 PM   #14

Dupe.
wildmanbaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, v10