Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2016, 05:39 PM   #1

FRED With Small Garage/Large Aft Storage

Hello to all!

Thanks for the contributions on this site.

I've also spent quite a lot of time on youtube,google,RV sales web sites looking for a class A FRED with the small rear garage/large aft stowage.

Looking for:
-FRED prefer.
-something smaller,say 28-32'
-years say from 2005 to 2012,up to $100k.
-prefer diesel,prefer Cummins but OK with International
-not fussy about much anything else.
-hopefully room to install a combo washer/dryer or has one
-single guy,to live in and travel around. Semi retired quite young.May pick up a GF along the way,who knows.

Why:
-don't really want a tow car,I can tow but would prefer not to have the extra drama.
-I'm used to driving a 21' Ford F350 Crew long box with a camper and racks I was at 26' and got around fine without a towed car.
-I have a Ducati motorcycle that would fit into the aft stowage-no tow car- and I'm Ok with maybe needing to remove one of the handlebars to fit.
-have mountain bike,paddle board,kayak,etc
-don't want the $$,$$$ Ducati motorcycle on a ramp on the hitch hanging off the back of the rig. Out of sight,out of mind.
-I've looked at "toy haulers" but they're bigger than what I need.

You could say the most important thing is that rear stowage.

To date I have found:
-Damon/Thor Avanti 3106: The rear garage entry is 29" wide by 41" high. Flat all the way through,bike would squeeeeeeeze in and all would fit.

-Thor Serrano 31: The Z and V have the garage, the X doesn't (or whatever I may have them mixed up). But seems to have a hump in the middle sticking up,don't know if bike would fit.
Don't know the door size.

-Monaco Vesta: Has a large opening,but has a very large hump in the centre,looks about a foot high...bike likely wouldn't fit. Shame as I like the layout and looks.

-Gulf Stream Yellowstone: Looks like bike will fit and is flat all the way through. Don't know measurements of the opening but looks huge but this is a 36'+ coach.

I would take a gas one and MAYBE go up a couple feet if it meant being able to have my garage.
There is a bewildering array of brands,models,versions that it's so hard to screen though.

Would anyone know off hand of any more units that have what I am looking for especially with the rear garage?

"Toy haulers" are always way to big and/or trailers. I'm looking for smaller classA or even a Class C but theose all seem to have the genset/ etc back there.

Thanks to all in advance for any assistance or tips you may have to give.

Regards

Dave
Dave Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2016, 12:05 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Damon Outlaw (3611) is just under 37'. FRED'S (Freightliner w/6.7L Cummins/Allison 5 speed) were an option (27,000lb GVWR). The garage will carry a Smart ForTwo or Fiat 500....and other stuff too.

Just a bit over your 32' limit, but the car can fit inside the full garage which becomes a spare room with patio deck in back when parked.

Several people here have been fulltimers in Outlaws...worked very well for them.

Here's one: #C1771 - 2008 Damon Outlaw 3611 Toy Hauler W/Slide & Diesel Engine for sale in Alvarado TX
We are not affiliated.

There's been other Class A Toy Haulers over the years too...but, most were larger than the Outlaw:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/clas...rs-130973.html

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:09 PM   #3

Nothing in common with what I said, but thanks anyways
Old 01-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walters View Post
Nothing in common with what I said, but thanks anyways
-------------
Looking for:
-FRED prefer.
-something smaller,say 28-32'
-years say from 2005 to 2012,up to $100k.
-prefer diesel,prefer Cummins but OK with International
-not fussy about much anything else.
-hopefully room to install a combo washer/dryer or has one
-single guy,to live in and travel around. Semi retired quite young.May pick up a GF along the way,who knows.
Small Garage - Check
FRED - Check
2005-2012 - Check
Diesel/Cummins - Check
Room to install W/D - Check
Fulltime-able - Check

To get a car in the back, 32' will be tough.
There are models in Europe that fit the request exactly...but they are not EPA compliant and therefore not importable:

and

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #5

Seems to me that the closest match to your needs/wants is the Monaco Vesta. Have you inspected one in person? A clever lad might be able to figure a way to get around the hump problem -- maybe a special rack or cradle.
Another possibility is the Winnebago Via. We had a 25T which has a very large space in the back which loads from the side. Don't know if your bike would fit, but may be worth checking out. No room for washer/dryer, however.
Now maybe a diesel pusher could be adapted to your needs. They keep building them taller, and there is a bunch of room in the basement storage, although bike would have to stored sideways, so may not work. Check out the Winnebago Journey, later model with the Maxum chassis.
Seems as though there would be a market for people with your needs, probably quite a few would be interested. Good luck!
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Small Garage - Check
FRED - Check
2005-2012 - Check
Diesel/Cummins - Check
Room to install W/D - Check
Fulltime-able - Check

To get a car in the back, 32' will be tough.
There are models in Europe that fit the request exactly...but they are not EPA compliant and therefore not importable:
Guess you didn't see it-that's ok- and thanks for trying!

I never said I wanted to garage a car,but rather a Ducati-from above:

"-I have a Ducati motorcycle that would fit into the aft stowage-no tow car- and I'm Ok with maybe needing to remove one of the handlebars to fit.
-don't want the $$,$$$ Ducati motorcycle on a ramp on the hitch hanging off the back of the rig. Out of sight,out of mind.

D
Old 01-30-2016, 12:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
Seems to me that the closest match to your needs/wants is the Monaco Vesta. Have you inspected one in person? A clever lad might be able to figure a way to get around the hump problem -- maybe a special rack or cradle.
Another possibility is the Winnebago Via. We had a 25T which has a very large space in the back which loads from the side. Don't know if your bike would fit, but may be worth checking out. No room for washer/dryer, however.
Now maybe a diesel pusher could be adapted to your needs. They keep building them taller, and there is a bunch of room in the basement storage, although bike would have to stored sideways, so may not work. Check out the Winnebago Journey, later model with the Maxum chassis.
Seems as though there would be a market for people with your needs, probably quite a few would be interested. Good luck!
MGTR:
Thanks for the idea,the Vesta is on my list as you see but I haven't seen one in person. Washer dryer I can live without,storing a $24,000 motorcycle and $3000 worth of bicycles is more important.

But I don't know the rear opening size but it looks to be not tall enough.
And suspicious of what's under that hump, I'm sure it's the rear frame rails which are untouchable,
I emailed an RV dealer and Monaco asking and have had no reply.

I got info on the Serrano 31 and my bike would fit through the opening, but concerned about the hump so it's kinda on my short list with the Avanti 3106.

And yes,I have worked out away to get the bike in there,electrically and steadied.

I have looked at smaller DPs in the hopes of a side compartment but they all make short ones.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:20 AM   #8

If you're planning on hauling a motorcycle I don't understand why you wouldn't want a toy hauler?
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:26 AM   #9

I'm trying to keep things short,my garage is 34' and I want to stay shorter to get into more places.
And all the garages are way too big for what I need.

And besides,what about getting up those stairs to the bedroom after a few wobbly-pops?

Thx
Old 01-30-2016, 01:46 AM   #10

Have you thought about a HydraLift with the enclosure? They're pretty stout and it would open up some options for you.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:24 AM   #11

Here is a different one.

2007 Safari Simba 38STS Toyhauler | RVs, motorhomes | Calgary | Kijiji

Not in Calgary
Dougsee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #12

Thanks Doug but at 40' it's way longer than what I want.

Thanks Scatter, I looked at the lift thanks but I want the stuff inside.

I do like the Chev 5500 based super c-and the prices are very good for 2007-2010 models but after scanning through hundreds of pix, none have the tall aft storage like the Avanti and Serrano.

This is what I'm looking at.
They are both about 29" wide and 41" high,Avanti the first,Serrano the second.

Dunno what's under the Serrano's little hump there,but I think the bike could go to the side of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	568dfdb88abd11b0171925f4.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	117799   Click image for larger version

Name:	566bb74fedc155d213420afd.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	117800  

Old 01-30-2016, 04:15 PM   #13

FRED With Small Garage/Large Aft Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walters View Post
I'm trying to keep things short,my garage is 34' and I want to stay shorter to get into more places.
And all the garages are way too big for what I need.

And besides,what about getting up those stairs to the bedroom after a few wobbly-pops?

Thx

For Serranos, only the 31V will be short enough at 32'9". The others are over 34 feet. Rear ladders are not included in the measurements
https://www.woodysrv.com/showcase/fi...ture-12-11.pdf
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:12 PM   #14

Thanks.
I guess I didn't mention but the layout I like best is the 31Z,and the brochure you kindly attached doesn't show it.
The Thor brochure from the year before lists the 31Z as being 32' 3/4" but I assumed that was overall length.

Guess I could get the sawzall out and cut a notch out of the workbench...

Tags
storage