Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2020, 10:54 PM   #43

Wow so you are saying truck drivers own the rest areas and nobody else should use them.
Kbwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2020, 10:58 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanda View Post
Truckers pay far more road tax than the rest of us. Its not a tax issue. You have many choices where to park your RV. Truckers don't have that luxury. My point is truckers should have priority in the truck parking in rest areas and if you have a problem with their presence you should move on.
Truckers can stay any were we stay. Their companies should take care of them. When I was a traveling salesman my company did not expect me to sleep in PUBLIC REST STOPS.
Kbwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:33 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Well Edith, here's another thread slowly starting to creep down hill.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:36 AM   #46

I told my Dr. If I ever need a brain transplant
I want a truckers brain. He ask why. I said it's never been used. Ill have to add rv owners to that list now
Kenaleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:23 AM   #47

This thread deals with a complaint from an RV'er about diesel trucks running their engines all night in a rest area. My only comment is if you don't like that find somewhere else to camp. I never suggested that you shouldn't be in the rest area. Don't expect everyone to bow to your wants.
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:47 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanda View Post
This thread deals with a complaint from an RV'er about diesel trucks running their engines all night in a rest area. My only comment is if you don't like that find somewhere else to camp. I never suggested that you shouldn't be in the rest area. Don't expect everyone to bow to your wants.
Sorry, but this thread deals with a newbie asking for input on overnights at Walmarts and rest areas, and not what it has turned into.
The reality of staying in either place is convenient and free, but not all rosy and perfect.
I know that going in, and endeavoured to point those facts out to the OP.
My comments were simply comments based on experiences, and nothing personal, nor an expectation for anyone to "bow".
If I am not comfortable with any place I stay, I have the sense to move on, and see no need to have my options pointed out to me.
I do not consider a brief stop over for a nap, or an overnight stop after a long travel day at a rest area "camping".
Rest areas are there for that specific purpose, a place for "all" travellers to rest.
When there, I do my part at being considerate to others in where we park and how we act while there and would like to receive the same.
Let's keep this forum as a source for helpful information.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:54 PM   #49

We have to put out our bedroom slide or climb over each other. LR no
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:06 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
It always amazes me that folks think your *camping*, just because your slide is out or, the jacks are down. Geeze folks, it's not rocket science. Like what's been stated, some slides NEED TO BE OUT just for sleeping arrangements. And, if a parking lot is slanted, even a slight amount, I don't care who thinks what, my jacks are going down, normally with pads so no marks are left there. I do that 'cause I'M THE ONE WHO HAS TO PAY FOR A FRIDGE if I damage it 'cause I didn't level the coach, because folks THINK I was camping and put my jacks down.

Protection of certain components by the use of jacks (fridge and slides) is needed, if a parking has any form of grade. That doesn't mean one's gonna stay there for two weeks while sight seeing all over that part of the country. We have done it many times and, for the most part, we park either late in the afternoon or the evening and, we're gone by the next morning.

If one can park their coach in ANY parking lot, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Cracker Barrel etc, and can either sleep or occupy their coach without deploying slides, good for them(you). But, some coaches, contrary to popular belief that ALL coaches are built exactly the same, have to have the slides out, just to WALK FROM ONE END TO THE OTHER.

Yep, we've seen the LONG TERM Walmart endurance stays. Chairs, dog pens, toys spread all over the place, disconnected 5vrs that clearly show it's been there for quite some time and more. There's nothing anyone's gonna do about that. Bone heads are bone heads, period.
Scott

Wow@ 4 paragraphs to declare how selfish you are. Walmarts across the country are banning overnight parking. Can you guess why?
Davemik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:22 PM   #51

Some people have to put out the slide to get to certain things. We can access our bedroom, kitchen and bathroom without doing that.
desuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:27 PM   #52

Consideration

Most everything posted here is solid advice but I did want to add that “truckers” are working and they aren’t on vacation like we are. And, roadside rest stops are just that. They aren’t designed for solitude.
So to say that they are being rude is overly critical. With access to the Internet pretty much everywhere now theres really no reason to be able to search for and find a better spot.
Who doesn’t like a free place to stay but like the old saying goes you get what you pay for.
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:28 PM   #53

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
We have enjoyed traveling in our Rv for several years. Never stayed overnight at a Wal-mart. Having said that this year returning home our overnight stop charged 40.00. We called different places and all were pricey! We have passport but not on our route! It’s no wonder a free overnight stay looks good! I guess if they can get it why not, after all we bought, ——-but maybe not again !
We would need to put out one slide to make our bed . Would do our best to not infringe .

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
It always amazes me that folks think your *camping*, just because your slide is out or, the jacks are down. Geeze folks, it's not rocket science. Like what's been stated, some slides NEED TO BE OUT just for sleeping arrangements. And, if a parking lot is slanted, even a slight amount, I don't care who thinks what, my jacks are going down, normally with pads so no marks are left there. I do that 'cause I'M THE ONE WHO HAS TO PAY FOR A FRIDGE if I damage it 'cause I didn't level the coach, because folks THINK I was camping and put my jacks down.

Protection of certain components by the use of jacks (fridge and slides) is needed, if a parking has any form of grade. That doesn't mean one's gonna stay there for two weeks while sight seeing all over that part of the country. We have done it many times and, for the most part, we park either late in the afternoon or the evening and, we're gone by the next morning.

If one can park their coach in ANY parking lot, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Cracker Barrel etc, and can either sleep or occupy their coach without deploying slides, good for them(you). But, some coaches, contrary to popular belief that ALL coaches are built exactly the same, have to have the slides out, just to WALK FROM ONE END TO THE OTHER.

Yep, we've seen the LONG TERM Walmart endurance stays. Chairs, dog pens, toys spread all over the place, disconnected 5vrs that clearly show it's been there for quite some time and more. There's nothing anyone's gonna do about that. Bone heads are bone heads, period.
Scott
If you can't PARK without deploying slides, then you need to find a placed to CAMP. Certain people are destined to ruin it for those of us who understand the difference.
jimheiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:44 PM   #55

back on topic.

OP, your front slide takes the bays out with it.
They are close to the ground.
Be wary of extending the living room slide over a curb.

dick
Old 04-02-2020, 04:05 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimheiner View Post
If you can't PARK without deploying slides, then you need to find a placed to CAMP. Certain people are destined to ruin it for those of us who understand the difference.
So your eligibility to PARK depends on your floorplan? Seems silly to me. Do commercial trucks with a wide load also need to find a CAMPING spot?

I never gave the issue of overnighting while travelling much thought before joining this forum. So the different perspectives have been enlightening. I've read a lot of this now and I decided that in the absence of signage posting a policy, I agree that if the slides need to come out to access the interior, then the driver has a responsibility to park such that the slides don't impact (pun intended) adjacent parking opportunities. I don't think that extending slides in itself is an issue unless it encroaches into adjacent spaces. Although I don't NEED to extend slides to "park", both of my slides are on the same side of the bus. So I can hang them out over curbs or otherwise park to put them away from traffic. I don't really care about the optics of having my slides out. It's matter over mind: If they're not impinging on your parking, it doesn't matter if you mind.

I dunno about the levelers. I guess for me it would depend on safety. I'd try for a level enough site that I didn't need them, because it's time consuming to cycle them and I don't want to make a career out of parking. Again, what it looks like to you isn't a concern for me. I do what I need to do. If I was worried that my fridge was going to burn me down in my sleep I'd probably deploy levelers just to keep the fire department home. I am respectful of where I am, so I carry a stack of 2x12 blocks for leveling on soft or asphalt surfaces.

Otherwise, it's OVERNIGHTING. I'm there to rest, pee, replenish supplies maybe, check up on messages, survey my roadworthiness, and move on. I don't want to throw out more anchors than I can reel up in a hurry, and I'm not intending to have my mail forwarded to the parking spot. If I cared what it looks like to someone else, I'd drive a Volvo and stay in hotels.

$0.02
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parking