Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2020, 04:05 PM   #57

I say a huge thank you to all truckers. They are working to provide you and yours the things you use on a daily basis. Like the signs on some of them say: If you don't like trucks, stop buying stuff.
LConner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2020, 04:21 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
So your eligibility to PARK depends on your floorplan? Seems silly to me. Do commercial trucks with a wide load also need to find a CAMPING spot?

I never gave the issue of overnighting while travelling much thought before joining this forum. So the different perspectives have been enlightening. I've read a lot of this now and I decided that in the absence of signage posting a policy, I agree that if the slides need to come out to access the interior, then the driver has a responsibility to park such that the slides don't impact (pun intended) adjacent parking opportunities. I don't think that extending slides in itself is an issue unless it encroaches into adjacent spaces. Although I don't NEED to extend slides to "park", both of my slides are on the same side of the bus. So I can hang them out over curbs or otherwise park to put them away from traffic. I don't really care about the optics of having my slides out. It's matter over mind: If they're not impinging on your parking, it doesn't matter if you mind.

I dunno about the levelers. I guess for me it would depend on safety. I'd try for a level enough site that I didn't need them, because it's time consuming to cycle them and I don't want to make a career out of parking. Again, what it looks like to you isn't a concern for me. I do what I need to do. If I was worried that my fridge was going to burn me down in my sleep I'd probably deploy levelers just to keep the fire department home. I am respectful of where I am, so I carry a stack of 2x12 blocks for leveling on soft or asphalt surfaces.

Otherwise, it's OVERNIGHTING. I'm there to rest, pee, replenish supplies maybe, check up on messages, survey my roadworthiness, and move on. I don't want to throw out more anchors than I can reel up in a hurry, and I'm not intending to have my mail forwarded to the parking spot. If I cared what it looks like to someone else, I'd drive a Volvo and stay in hotels.

$0.02

Sorry, you are not allowed to use that much common sense on here.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #59

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I know you mentioned WalMart's and they are abundant, but probably one of the last resorts for us (3 years and have stayed at 1).

We always look for a Cabela's if we can. We've stayed at Cracker Barrel a few times (always have a meal there when we do). These places "usually" have a dedicated area for RV parking.
Good advice if it works for you. However, there are 100 Walmarts for every Cabellas. And Cracker Barrel's spaces are generally not long enough for the typical big rig with toad. Any size rig fits in a Walmart lot.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:42 PM   #60

Tiffin Owners Club
I have only been at a Walmart once when there were a surprising number of other motorhomes there that I felt like I should not be there. Most often there have been less than 2 or 3 others. Often I am the only one, maybe I'm not supposed to be there, didn't see any signs. That being the case, I have not worried too much about the slides being out. I am surprised at the amount of responses that are against putting slides out here. I will think twice about it in the future.
One thing that I always do is fill up a shopping cart when I am there, I think that is important. Never cook or sit outside or unhook the car.
Mbe111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:44 PM   #61

Gotta go with fire up on this one. I always call ahead and speak to a manager; some don’t allow overnight parking, and I will by pass. When I arrive, I go in and shop, meet the manager that I spoke with, and then set up the five. Jacks down to stabilize and take the weight off of the truck, AND window awnings out if in blazing sun.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #62

Is the slide necessary?

Always park so your safe, take up a minimum of space, & put slide over curb if possible.
We always put the bedroom slide out, BTW.
BUT, most if all, ASK FIRST.
jdandkity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:25 PM   #63

partial slideout extension may not seal the slide to coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I know you mentioned WalMart's and they are abundant, but probably one of the last resorts for us (3 years and have stayed at 1).

We always look for a Cabela's if we can. We've stayed at Cracker Barrel a few times (always have a meal there when we do). These places "usually" have a dedicated area for RV parking.

As for slides, we have to run the bedroom slide out at least 1.5 feet to access the bed and normally that's what we will do. Like others have said, the quicker that you can get up and gone the better, so keep everything packed up or hooked up if you can.
Be careful as partial extension of slide out may not seal slideout to coach
nbneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:39 PM   #64

No Jack's down in parking lots any of them please Ronnie
tallmantwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:14 PM   #65

National RV Owners Club
I'm with Fireup on this one. We've been RVing about 35 years and have stayed at many Walmart locations and a bunch more campgrounds, government and private. When at Walmart I've always been able to find a spot when my slide goes out over a non-walking on area or does not extend into the parking lot. And I've always asked customer service and often been told they don't allow overnight parking. (Once I was told Walmart doesn't care but the local police will give you an expensive ticker - didn't stay there). Bottom line is common sense - seems like there's not as much of that around as there used to be.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:22 PM   #66

Coastal Campers
We try to park along the perimeter so our slide hangs over the grass. I also worry about someone running into my slide..
904Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:28 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
2x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

On these quick overnight stops, I do the absolute minimum, nothing unpacked outside, no slides, no levelers, and I stay fully connected. If for any reason I need to move, I start the MH and drive away.
tmelsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:07 PM   #68

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you park in a lot . . .

And if you are staying in a Walmart parking lot:

1. Check in at the service desk for permission.
2. Park so that you are not blocking the lot or using a prime spot that drive up passengers can use.
3. Only stay one night.
4. Since Walmart is extending a courtesy to you, return the courtesy by shopping in their store.

Not all counties allow overnight stays in a parking lot, so if Walmart says no it's likely that it isn't allowed at that location.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:21 PM   #69

Our favorite place to stop overnight while traveling from place to place is Cracker Barrel. They are extremely nice and accomadating.

We always open our slides as long as there is enough room, and we always buy something from them as well as give our wait staff a generous tip.

We have always been welcomed and treated with good old Southern Hospitality.

Cracker Barrel is one of th RV'ers best friends.
Sirgarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:08 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by engine103 View Post
Good way to get your slide run into by somebody not expecting it to be in their way. I can imagine an 18 wheel driver at night turning into the spot next to you only to discover you have taken up to 2 extra feet into his spot. Also something else to keep in mind (and this is for everybody) If you have a shorter RV and using a rest area, anytime of day or night, Do not pull all the way forward into your spot. Again, an 18 wheeler thinking that spot is empty and starts to turn in will not be happy having to back out to find another spot.
Must be some terrible truck drivers out there. Unlike the experienced RVers who take out their own utility hook ups.

Monaco go!
Monaco go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parking