Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #1

Freeway Driving (do's and don'ts)

Driving on a freeway near a metropolitan area is a "white knuckle" operation even in a car. But what about a 40' class-A motor home? Common sense tells me to stay in your own lane, and if the speed limit is 55 and everyone is doing 65, and you're doing 45 so what... that said can anyone add any unspoken rules of the road or suggestions to follow; things you do to make your trip through metropolitan areas and on city freeways a little easier. Thanks...
Recon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Stay out of the left and right lanes. Try to stay up with cars in front and watch out for the hell bent kamikaze on/off drivers. Avoid big cities/rush hour when possible. Be patient and pray a lot.
If you don't keep up with traffic no matter the speed, you will be the bottleneck and the center of a lot of high speed lane changes.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #3

Gps that will advise you of what lane to be in for turns is great.No more discussions with wife like it used to be.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I agree with what Gene says. I also figure any lane change is an accident waiting to happen so I try not to change lanes very often. And I try to leave extra space between me and the vehicle I'm following and that space often gets filled by some guy trying to get ahead of everyone else.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Go the speed limit, stay out of the hammer lane, if there is a middle lane get in it so you don't have to deal with people merging. Pay extra attention to the mirrors and leave a little bigger gap in front of you

Some citys is better to go right through and not take the bypass, if you have a CB a quick shout on it will tell you whats better for that city. If you can travel at night through big citys

If you chose to go with the flow of traffic, then stay with it, keep your speed up with them, and don't hang out in the hammer lane unless you are overtaking, on the subject if you are overtaking get it over and done with, don't try to do so going 1mph faster than what you are overtaking.

If you get a one finger salute just smile and wave
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #6

Do not drive a lot of urban freeways in the motorhome - Houston, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Louisville, Atlanta, Orlando is all in the last five years, but it really has not been a big deal. Contrary to what many do, I do not believe in hanging out in the middle lane, I always drive the slow lane and adjust for merges. Whatever speed is comfortable for me is what I drive, no matter what speed everyone else wants to. I always leave a lot of room in front (10 vehicle lengths is my goal). I use a GPS with lane warnings and try to make the lane shift far ahead. I think the key is relax, get through the city, and then stop and unwind.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anticipate. Think ahead, especially when approaching on-ramps. Move over if you can safely do so, maintain your speed if you cannot.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Is it me or are replys vanishing???
Old 05-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #9

I tuck in with the line of trucks going in the same direction? I'm generally running the same speed they are anyway, and figure they've handled about every kind of situation thousands of times more than I ever will? If they're running the center lane, I do. If they take the bypass. I do. If they're running over/under the speed limit, I do. Shut up, keep your head down, watch and learn.... Easy.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #10

Stay out of the right lane unless you are exiting. It is known as the conflict lane because folks are either merging into it or using it to slow down or exit. #2 or # 3 are OK but only the passing lane if your using it that way. Pay more attention to what is ahead than behind you and try to get the big picture using your eyes to scan ahead, left mirror, gauges, right mirror, ahead and so forth. Turn off the radio, stereo, etc, and demand that your passengers sit down so you don't have to worry about them falling in case of a sudden stop or avoidance turn.

In the case of slow moving or stop and go traffic try to maintain a distance where you can the where the vehicle ahead tires meet the road. That will give you enough room to go around it in case of a breakdown or accident ahead.

If passing or being passed, get it over with even if you have to slow down or speed a bit. A sudden move on the part of the other vehicle could cause you to over react. Not to mention the all too common blowout on a tractor or trailer that you are driving beside. Signal well ahead of your turns or merges and don't forget the four ways if traffic suddenly slows or stops.

If all else fails, hold on and try to hit something cheap!!!!
Old 05-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If there is no construction I don't mind freeways if I really need to get somewhere. It's sure hard to get out of DFW without them. Even harder to do so and avoid construction.

I avoid the breakfast, lunch and dinner drives. That can take some timing when traveling more than a little ways on down the road. As a 250 to 300 mile per day driver, it's not too hard.

More likely though you will find us on the backroads. That's where the people, places and things we want to see are. This quote always comes to mind when I hear folks talk about freeways and driving long distances on a daily basis.

“Thanks to the interstate highway system, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything.” – Charles Kuralt

We slow down - not in a freeway lane - but as a lifestyle. Let the journey be the destination. If you can't get there with reasonable drive time days in the time you have, maybe you're chasing after a location rather than an experience. The location will be there when ya have time to really enjoy the getting there.

"We used to focus making good time. Now the emphasis is on good." Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

RVM2 -- Steve and Annie --
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
2 A.M. Works best for me.
Hammer Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Down View Post
2 A.M. Works best for me.

You and me both! I so prefer night driving, cooler out, less idiots, and all the pretty chicken lights on the rigs!!!!
Old 05-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #14

You hit it right on, RVM2!

In an average 250 mile day, we are the ones that arrive 1 to 2 hours later than most will. Charles Kuralt's back-roads journeys long ago sparked my enthusiasm to experience what most folks never will!

Some folks dont have all day. We see it as "we HAVE all day".

Seeing so much more scenery, slowing for small towns, quaint shops, enjoying the ride so much more than we ever did...is the way we roll now, mostly with non-freeway driving.

On the freeway, my knuckles are never white. If you are tense to begin with, your reactions to situations may be frantic, erratic and too quick. I relax with it, and expect Bevis and Butthead to be close by. Easy does it, steady as she goes.

We arrive fresh, ready for a fine evening with a pleasant meal.

Yes, the journey is our destination!

RVM1 - Dave and Nola
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote