Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freezing

Hey folks. I am sitting in NE at a camp ground. Low tonight is expecting 16 degrees. I am fully hooked up, running heat. Do I need to do anything to keep something from freezing or am I ok since the heat is running? Thanks for any help you can offer.
djenkins452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #2

What kind of rig do you have? Does it have ducted heat in the water compartment? Does it have heated holding tanks?
gmanatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I would disconnect the water and sewer hoses and put them away, When your heating system runs is your basement heated also? Good to have one of those wireless outdoor/indoor thermometers from Wal-Mart (or somewhere of your choice) and put the remote in your water bay so you can monitor the temps. down there from inside.
Other than that ......honker down.......snuggle up(favorite object).....enjoy a beverage of your choice......and have fun!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #4

I had my fresh water hose freeze once in Florida back in Dec. 1985! Everything seemed to be ok after we returned from Disney later in the evening.

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
If you are fully hooked up, I'd disconnect and drain the water hose and sewer hose unless you've got it insulated and wrapped with heat tape. A frozen hose is a pain to coil up and defrost without making a mess. If you have an outside remote thermometer, I'd put it in the wet bay to monitor temps there. If in doubt, add a lightbulb in a 'trouble' light to help keep it warm. Also, open the cabinet doors under sinks to allow warm air to circulate into those spaces.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'd probably let the cold water trickle tonight. I'd probably go ahead and dump both the grey and black water tanks too. Since you say your fully hooked up I hope you mean to water and sewer? If so probably will need open your grey water valve. If you do not have any heat going to your fresh water area, I might drain it also. Run you water pump a little to get any water out of it. Good luck, stay warm and have a nice Thanksgiving.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
I'd probably let the cold water trickle tonight.
The way many winterized water hydrants work is that when the hose is disconnected and the the hydrant off, the water drains out of the standing pipe to prevent freezing. If you leave it on, it is more likely to freeze. Plus water in the slinky can freeze and create a real mess when you disconnect.

Bob & Donna
Old 11-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #8

I have never camped in those temperatures yet, but if you don't have a trouble light you might turn on the 12v light in you wet bay if you have one. They don't put out a lot of heat, but that little bit may help. Remove the cover so it wont't melt.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It depends allot on your motor home and how the water lines are run. I've lived in a camper year round in Pennsylvania for many years.

Unhook your water line if it's not heat taped and insulated from the ground to the camper. If the temperature is not too far below freezing you could be by with letting a faucet drip at night. Even if your hose is heat taped keep water in the freshwater tank and make sure your pump runs. I've seen storms take out the electricity a few times.

I recommend Wrap-On heat tapes they are reliable, I still use the tape I bought 10 years ago, they have a pilot light which tells at a glance if the heat tape has power and if it is operating. The heating element usually comes on at around 35 degrees F. The pilot light has allowed me to avoid a freeze up because of an extension cord problem.

We had a fifth wheel which had water lines that were right on the outside wall, they would freeze on cold nights.

The two Itasca motor homes we've had have had very few freezing problems since the holding tanks and water lines are heated somewhat by the heater duct. In the winter when the temperature is below 20 degrees F I put a ceramic heater in the wet bay to keep the dump valves from freezing. I set it on low and with enough heat to keep the bay above freezing.

You are in for an adventure while you learn what works in your camper.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well...how did you make out?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Well...how did you make out?
It's only been an hour and 5 minutes since he posted.

Bob & Donna
Old 11-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for all the input. About to go disconnect the water line and sewer hose. I will dump the grey and black tanks first. Hoping to not dump the fresh water tank so we can still have water.

I really appreciate all the feedback. FYI. 2006 Fleetwood Revolution LE. Just bought it back in July. Just drove from TN to NE last night. Great trip overall.
djenkins452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I really appreciate all the feedback. FYI. 2006 Fleetwood Revolution LE. Just bought it back in July. Just drove from TN to NE last night. Great trip overall.[/QUOTE]

I just gotta ask this.....why did you go NORTH! :confused

Just kidding, anywhere in a MH is the right place to be.
steinjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by djenkins452 View Post
Thanks for all the input. About to go disconnect the water line and sewer hose. I will dump the grey and black tanks first. Hoping to not dump the fresh water tank so we can still have water. I really appreciate all the feedback. FYI. 2006 Fleetwood Revolution LE. Just bought it back in July. Just drove from TN to NE last night. Great trip overall.
your 2006 revolution must have a heated basement. Our 2006 bounders does. Just make sure that you run the rear furnace. That's the one that has a duct that will heat the basement.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote