Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2021, 06:59 AM   #1

Freightliner 100k Service suggestions

We have a 2003 Winnebago Journey, Freightliner chassis with 3126 Cat, 330 HP. It is going in to the Gaffney service center for 100k service. I am planning on doing a valve adjust, full M3 service, new belts and hoses, and checking the A/C dash unit. Have previously replaced radiator expansion/fill tank, alternator, 2 front air bags. Anyone have recommendations on other things to replace or check, based on experience. They have done all our service work and I have been pleased, they have found several things during their inspections and taken care of them. TIA.
rebrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2021, 01:10 PM   #2

Have them run it for 10 minutes, then collect samples of the oil and the transmission fluid and the antifreeze. Send those samples in to Blackstone for analysis. Contact Blackstone to have them send you USPS approved containers...free. The analysis is $30 I think? And $40 for coolant?

Worth the money to have a base line moving forward for your oils and antifreeze.

At 100K, I'd definitely replace the idler pulley...surprised it hasn't gone out already, the water pump idler, the fan hub. And maybe even the AC compressor as it's past it's life time of 70K typical. And if they can find a replacement Dryer for the AC system, would you please made a note of the P/N and come back and tell me?

Thanks!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 02:20 PM   #3

Thanks for suggesting those items, I will be putting those on the replace list. I can do the samples myself for oil and antifreeze and check those. It's the air dryer replacement cartidge P/N you want correct?
Old 07-17-2021, 02:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebrobin View Post
Thanks for suggesting those items, I will be putting those on the replace list. I can do the samples myself for oil and antifreeze and check those. It's the air dryer replacement cartidge P/N you want correct?
Yes, that's correct. My compressor blew and caused the black death as AC techs call it. Which calls for a flush and a new dryer. The dryer is underneath the drivers side rear next to the condenser and the Freightliner shop/parts place couldn't find a sub for it back in '19. Maybe they have one now. I can't find the p/n for the old one to find out. Back then the shop just went ahead and did a flush and got maybe a teaspoon of black granules out of the system (tech thought that was a good sign) and we hoped the dryer was okay without replacing...but it would be good to have a sub p/n in my notes. Just in case.

The mechanic should let you know if there's something on my list that should be left alone. Wouldn't hurt to ask directly, otherwise they'll lean towards 'more income'.

Old 07-17-2021, 02:41 PM   #5

Actually, I would have the valve adjustment done at a Caterpillar dealership.

Kind of like going to a surgeon for an appendectomy instead of a GP.
Old 07-17-2021, 02:55 PM   #6

I wouldn't go to either Freightliner or Cat. They know a sucker when they see one. I'd go to a recommended diesel shop, even then I'd check all the reviews and RVServiceReviews.com first no matter which shop.

Also, OP, ask your shop to inspect & test the Turbo and to check & lube the exhaust brake too while they're in there. See, it just goes on and on. No wonder so many people just end up doing nothing.

Old 07-17-2021, 04:16 PM   #7

Hitek, I had a one time event happen 2 months ago. Started the coach up and went to the rear to check before pulling out, VERY loud screeching sound from engine compartment. Went to the cab, shut off A/C and wnt back out, no more noise and sounded fine. we were close to check out time at the c/g, so we left, all went well as we drove, and when we got to a good pullover, I tried the A/C again and it worked fine. I have probably started 50 times since then, and nothing similar has happened, so I planned on discussing changing the compressor with them when I got there, based on your post, it may save possibly damaging some other components. I have had good service from the Gaffney location, so will try them on the valve adjust if they assure me it is something they do routinely. Will add the turbo and engine brake lube in too. they have me sceduled for 2 days service as I told them we were doing more than a regular service.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:52 PM   #8

Aww, yes, the Gaffney location has a very good reputation. Spendy, but good.

The squeal would likely be the alternator operating under a very heavy load, like when it's started after sitting for a long while and has a low battery that needs charging. BUT, that often damages the serpentine belt so it's good you're replacing that. I suppose it could have been from the compressor.

You'll know when you get the rig back and try to start it after sitting for a few days. If it squeals, check your batteries. Though the new belt tightened to specs might stop that from happening.

Wolfe10 is an expert, and may have some input on what the squeal might have been.

Old 07-17-2021, 05:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebrobin View Post
Started the coach up and went to the rear to check before pulling out, VERY loud screeching sound from engine compartment. Went to the cab, shut off A/C and went back out, no more noise and sounded fine. we were close to check out time at the c/g, so we left, all went well as we drove, and when we got to a good pullover, I tried the A/C again and it worked fine. I have probably started 50 times since then, and nothing similar has happened, so I planned on discussing changing the compressor with them when I got there, based on your post, it may save possibly damaging some other components.

A number of things can cause belt squeal. May have been something as simple as a wet belt.

Your engine has TWO belts, the serpentine belt on an automatic tensioner and a V belt which drives only the water pump on manual tensioner.

If you plan to keep the coach long-term, it would be a good time to replace both belts and the automatic tensioner. Check bearings on the manual tensioner.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:03 PM   #10

I recently had a starting battery issue, and never heard anything unusual, after having to jump it off, and have had it sit for 2 weeks, between starts to be sure all was ok after fixing the issue. Whatever it was, not a peep since. And I looked at the serpentine after the noise, and could not see anything bad with it.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:44 PM   #11

Whatís the average cost on the 100k service?
Ebwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:48 AM   #12

I have no estimate of the cost. I just pay the bill and drive on. After it is done, I will try to give a figure for you.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:26 AM   #13

I’ve been to the Gaffney Freightliner Service Center way back in 2007.
They were excellent back in 2007.
I have 22,000 on my 2020 Horizon. But I think my local private diesel mechanic can do 100,000 mile check up.
He rebuilds and does it all.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:39 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would also, change transmission filter and change fluid tes-295 or latest type. 21 year old rear end fluid I would change. Clean or replace oil breather. If you have not done it change fuel filters.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner, service