Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #1

Freightliner Hub caps

2014 Providence on XCM Freightliner Chassis keeps losing front hub caps. They have the Freightliner emblem and @ $67.00 each it's getting rather old.
Seems every time someone removes them they come up missing soon after.

I always check them to make sure they are up tight against the hub with a rubber hammer.

Has anybody tried putting a bead of epoxy on the hub so the snap prongs have something to catch on?

Or any other ideas?

Any good source for replacements.

thanks
pointrow
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just ordered plain ones last year for less than $20 each. I did it through a truck parts website. I'll try and look it up.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
http://www.raneystruckparts.com/Freightliner

Try that link. I think they ended up being $20 for both. I put them on and they stayed on. You also have to be careful how you install them.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:58 AM   #4

I take mine off when polishing the wheels and when I put them back on, I tweak the clips slightly/gently so to create what I think is a little more tension.

When I started taking them off and putting them back on regularly, on a whim, I had some Loctite spray (CLICK) sitting on the shelf so I applied some thinking it would provide just a bit of tack to keep it secure. So far, I haven't had one come off while driving and they seem nice and secure each time a go to remove them again. I suppose the Loctite medium thread lock would do the same ...if putting this type of adhesive is doing anything at all. I'm not entirely sure.

edit: I've never tried this but I remember somebody at an RV park telling me about it years ago ...he put black friction tape on each clip.

Also, the link that Davdeb1 provided takes you to the Raney's Truck Parts home page. Here's a more specific page that He may or may not have intended us to go to ...click HERE. Take note of the lip size of the one you need. Thanks Davdeb1.

If you desire the OEM Freightliner ones and need the exact Freightliner part number, call FCCC in Gafney and give them your VIN and they'll give you the part number for the ones you need as there are several styles to fit different wheels. I believe you can also order directly from them but as you say, it will be much more expensive.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
If you order from a truck supply, be sure you specify how many slots your wheels have. These are the areas in the hubcap that fit over the castings on the wheel hub. There is a different number of slots for different wheel series. Also, specify whether they are for aluminum wheels or steel. I lost one of mine from an aluminum wheel and what I had installed from the factory were the ones for steel wheels which have shorter tabs. Like DaveB1, I ordered mine on Amazon and paid about $18 for two plain ones.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
I bought the plain ones from Amarillo, TX Freightliner for $8.00 each.... Have now had the for over two years and they really look good.... $16 a pair vs $140 a pair.... Obviously a no-brainier.
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Buy them from Freightliner Cusomt Chassis, either a dealer or factory direct. Nowhere near $67.

Meanwhile, figure out why they keep coming off. Maybe have a truck shop or truck tire dealer show you the trick to getting them seated tightly. Or maybe you have bad shocks or an alignment problem that is causing tire bounce.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:47 AM   #8

I had that issue with my Spartan chassis. When you put them back on put a couple a dabs of silicone caulk and you'll be good to go.
danny124 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner