Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2021, 05:49 PM   #1

Freightliner LBCU / Dash Gauges

Lost all dash gauges except air pressure on 2007 Freightliner XC chassis. Per Freightliner, replaced daisy chain wires from gauge to gauge (part number A06-56509-012 with part number A06-69136-012 -8 total wires).
Checked function of gauges with toggle (one left + 5 seconds right) to diagnostics menu then set each gauge to 50% and 100%. No movement.

Called Freightliner again. Replaced A06-60639-012 from Light Bar Control Unit (LBCU) with part number A06-69135-012. Ran it to the speedometer and checked function using diagnostics menu. No response. Ran it to each of tachometer then fuel gauge (that's as far as the wire would reach). No response from either.

Ordered a new LBCU for $850. Waiting for delivery.

Anybody have similar experience?
Coalminer333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2021, 06:59 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Several times. Just other day it quit when we departed. Unplugged it to turn off the buzzer. Plugged it back when we arrived and everything worked. Awhile back Gaffney found the temp gauge was bad and that broke the chain. New gauge and all was well. Good luck!
Old 02-08-2021, 08:31 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It does sound like your LBCU is the fault. I have found that a faulty gauge can take down the whole chain....so testing gauges individually is important.

I have fought faulty gauges for years...and my symptoms never seem to isolate a particular item. I bought a used LBCU once and it didn't solve the issue either. Fortunately i was able to sell for what i paid.

Good luck. I still have my speedo and temp gauge disconnected and view the data from the LBCU. i have hooked them back up from time to time...and all worked...until they didn't. One of them is probably bad...but I don't want to spend the cash until i know for sure.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:33 AM   #4

Ground connection is bad?

You can remove each gauge, one at a time, from the daisy chain to test if that gauge is being nasty. You may have to restart a few times for the LBCU to figure out the new configuration...

While you're at it, I'd spray the sockets down with some CRC contact cleaner and lubricant... (that's my "go to" procedure any time I troubleshoot electrical on our 2008).
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:53 AM   #5

Wonder if this is still available. As a backup. $800 for the bar, ouch (I can see the future)
TampaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:03 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post
Wonder if this is still available. As a backup. $800 for the bar, ouch (I can see the future)
The needed data is still in the LBCU display although you have to scroll around and select what you want. Fuel and the two Air gauges are the only things not there. I doubt in Silverleaf would have that info either.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:18 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the once or trice a year air pressure gauge issue/alarm I have to work on this summer. After reading all these post about the problems I am hoping to solve my issue with replacement updated daisy chain wiring
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:30 PM   #8

Replaced the LBCU today. All gauges now respond to the "Diagnostics" menu, i.e. turn ignition on, toggle one left then hold for 5 seconds right. Select "Diagnostics the "Check Gauges". Set each gauge to 50% (speedo, odo, fuel, voltage, oil press, left air, right air, engine temp). each gauge went to 50% of full span. Then set each gauge to 100% full sweep and all responded accordingly.

Two problems remain. First problem is that the ODO now reads 85k miles but the true ODO is 56k miles. Turns out that there are two ODO readings on the Diagnostics menu including "IP ODO" which reads 85k miles and the "ENG ODO" that now reads the true odometer reading of 56k miles. I don't know what "IP ODO" means but the "ENG ODO" is accurate. I'm not worried about this discrepancy because I simply removed the ODO reading from the eight LBCU digital readouts. If necessary, I can prove that the true mileage is 56k miles in the event I decide to sell it.

Second problem is that, although the engine temperature responds to the 50%/100% manual LBCU inputs, it won't respond to actual engine temperature, i.e. it stays at dead left during the engine running test when I brought the engine up to normal operating temperature - even though the digital readout from the LBCU responds, i.e. the digital readout increases from ambient to normal operating temperature of about 180dF. As such, I surmise the problem does not involve the sensor and instead involves the gauge itself.

Next step is to replace the temperature gauge. I'm also looking at LBCU backup systems including Silverleaf (about $400) and Bluefire (about $200) J1939 OBD port to laptop/iPhone. This would be a simple solution to ensure I have a backup to the LBCU. Trouble is that I can't find the J1939 port under the dash. Freightliner insists it's there but I have just about exhausted my search options. Instead, I'm trying to figure out how to connect it to the rear J1939 at the back of the coach via either 9 wire CAN to J1939 or bluetooth.
Coalminer333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:06 PM   #9

I had the same problem. I replaced the wires 2 times. The last time it happened I unplugged the 2 wire bundles going to the dash. I would easily push them back on and it worked for a while. This time I Forced both on hard. I have not had any problems since. My Jplug is at the bottom of the steering wheel just to the left before the floor. You might need to lay on the floor to see it.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:48 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bluefire adapter to replace LBCU

I have fiddled and jiggled...cleaned and replaced....for the last time!

Have replaced wiring harness...twice....identified potential bad gauges only to have them work at a later time with other gauges not....and I'm tired of it.

This time....I lost everything...and I think it's the LBCU that failed. Wished I had kept my spare that I bought used for $175, but sold it to a retired full timer whom I felt sorry for. Cost of a new LBCU is....I don't even know the new cost anymore....I think like $800 or something.

Anyway.....I have gone with the Bluefire adapter for motorhomes and the free software they provide running on a Galaxy A7 tablet Velcro'd to my dash. It shows me EVERYTHING and is customizable to anything you might want. It's really just awesome! No more worry about gauge failure.

Someone had said that Freightliner didn't pass over air pressure to the data bus connector J1939...but they DO! I won't remove my LBCU as it is still useful for warning lights etc.

I found if you use the code Amazon on their website you get a discount. Happy trails.
BlueFire for Motorhomes
Old 06-11-2021, 11:52 AM   #11

56,000 actual miles and display shows 85,000 , .

Is the display stuck in metric ?
85,000 KMs , for 56,000 miles that would be the conversion to metric .
Old 06-11-2021, 11:55 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
56,000 actual miles and display shows 85,000 , .

Is the display stuck in metric ?
85,000 KMs , for 56,000 miles that would be the conversion to metric .
Response to Feb post? Well...okie dokie.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:45 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RE: my post regarding BlueFire and ECM data. Sorry...the air and fuel level aren't working.

Weird, sometimes with older data bus....I can get fuel level...but not always. I think the data is really there...but a flaw in the BlueFire software.
As to air pressure....I get why it isn't there as the dash gauges are feed directly by pressure tubes.

Oh well....I can use calculated data for fuel use I guess. Wish I had level. Seems weird that it comes into the LBCU but not out the diag port.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKimball View Post
I have fiddled and jiggled...cleaned and replaced....for the last time!

Have replaced wiring harness...twice....identified potential bad gauges only to have them work at a later time with other gauges not....and I'm tired of it.

This time....I lost everything...and I think it's the LBCU that failed. Wished I had kept my spare that I bought used for $175, but sold it to a retired full timer whom I felt sorry for. Cost of a new LBCU is....I don't even know the new cost anymore....I think like $800 or something.

Anyway.....I have gone with the Bluefire adapter for motorhomes and the free software they provide running on a Galaxy A7 tablet Velcro'd to my dash. It shows me EVERYTHING and is customizable to anything you might want. It's really just awesome! No more worry about gauge failure.

Someone had said that Freightliner didn't pass over air pressure to the data bus connector J1939...but they DO! I won't remove my LBCU as it is still useful for warning lights etc.

I found if you use the code Amazon on their website you get a discount. Happy trails.
BlueFire for Motorhomes

Rich

That Full Timer who you felt sorry for is having issues with the LBCU you sold him is having issues with it! Lost all gauges! Have not really looked into the issue but it is looking like I will be purchase new IF I cant resolve the issue
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, freightliner, gauges