Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2021, 03:05 PM   #1

Freightliner rear hub cap

I lost the passenger side rear axle Freightliner hub cap nut. I have heard they are left and right hand treads used on different sides. The passenger side stud has a right hand tread stud. My question before I order a new nut is that correct? Freightliner was not even aware there was a nut and said the torque spec on the lug nuts was 450 ft lbs. So much for their help. Looks like 15 ft lbs is closer to the correct torque.
HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2021, 03:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I lost the passenger side rear axle Freightliner hub cap nut. I have heard they are left and right hand treads used on different sides. The passenger side stud has a right hand tread stud. My question before I order a new nut is that correct? Freightliner was not even aware there was a nut and said the torque spec on the lug nuts was 450 ft lbs. So much for their help. Looks like 15 ft lbs is closer to the correct torque.
Well,
You don't say what make/model/year/engine type we're dealing with. Different Freightliner chassis's have different wheels and hubs. And therefore, different type coverings. If you'd have the same type of hub as we do on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, you'd have lost the whole rear hub cover too. Yes, those hub emblem/cover-stud, are left and right handed. Do the pics below look like your situation and, would the tool on my fluid rack in my compartment, be the one you use to remove and install those hub cover nut/studs?
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000531.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	344399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0335.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	344400  

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:35 PM   #3

Good gosh Scott, even the labels on the cans all are facing front! Psychiatrists probably have a label to describe you

Scott is correct. But you are calling is a "Freightliner hub cap nut". There is a nut in there, but it is bolted to the axle hub, and if you lost it the hub is probably leaking. I believe you are referring to the long threaded screw with the fancy emblem?

On my coach, inside the hub cap or can, there is a part number. I simply took off the opposite side and looked inside to get the number and Freightliner was able to find it. The long threaded screw, or bolt I got was generic with out the fancy name on it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150402_130734.jpg
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	344412   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150402_130806.jpg
Size:	510.3 KB
ID:	344413  

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:40 PM   #4

Here is a picture of the "nut".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Inked20190812_095757_LI.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	344414  
Old 09-27-2021, 05:32 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The answer to your question.....the driver's side is left hand thread.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:17 AM   #6

The tire monitor valve stem extenders held the cap on till I stopped. I tires the extender together to complete the trip. The cap does have a number inside but the stud that holds it on is clearly a right hand thread.

Now if the stud comes with the nut one could specify a left hand tread assuming the thread in the bracket is not in question. It is raining too hard right now to answer that question.

2000 Airstream XL390 with a Cat engine. Last 7 numbers of the Freightliner are HO7952. I am the forth owner so I can't say with great faith what may have been changed over the years to end up with right hand treads on the passenger side. That was the first thing I noticed and a explanation as to why the nut unscrewed. Not sure how Chrysler resolved that issue but they finally got the wheel to stay on with right hand treads on the wheel lugs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0511.jpg
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	344470   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	344471  

Name:	IMG_0510.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	344472  
Old 09-28-2021, 10:42 AM   #7

Looking at your picture and comparing it to the one I show in post #3, I think what has happened is the decorative cap has broken away from the bolt. It also appears from your picture, that the bolt is too long and is hitting the hub. Is it?

I would remove that screw that is shown in the center in your picture and take it to Freightliner. They should be able to get you a new one with the same threads but with the decorative end cap or "nut". On mine that end cap or "nut" is permanently attached to the screw.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:54 AM   #8

Here is a picture I just found showing the three parts of that rear hub cap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rear hub cap parts.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	344483  
Old 09-28-2021, 12:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
OK,
Unless I'm missing something (no pun intended), we're not on the same page here. Bid D and I have a BRACKET that is UNDER the hub cover, as you do. But, in the center of that bracket, is a fixed nut. The hub cover is held in place with what Big D shows as a *CAP bolt*. That cap bolt is long and begins to thread on that fixed nut, long before the cap part is fitted against the hub cover. The hub cover, has indentations embedded in it, where the bottom side of the cap bolt contacts it. The cap bolt has dimples or protrusions that, when contact is made with the hub cover, they *fall* into the indents. But, you keep turning the cap bolt until you feel that, there is enough friction and, the indentations and dimples are seated well enough, to keep that hub cover secure, DONE.

Now, what your later picture is showing is, a bolt sticking through the bracket , facing outward, correct? If so, then YOUR HUB COVER was retained by a NUT, NOT A CAP BOLT LIKE BIG D'S AND MINE. So, if you lost A NUT, That's why Freightliner was not aware of any nut. Because, it never existed in the first place. May I ask, are or were, both of your rear hub covers held on the same way, with a nut, not a cap bolt like BIG D shows?

As far as being right or left handed, That's not a for-certain situation. I have spoken with several members on here and other RV forums that, purchased their coaches new, and either had or have, BOTH of them as right handed or BOTH of them as left handed. OR, what is supposed to be right handed on one side and left handed on the other, was the exact opposite. There may be the understood fact that the passenger side was left handed and the drivers side was right handed but, again, they quite often, did not leave the factory in that setup.

Unless they (the hub covers) were installed phenomenally loose, the tension/friction and the detents are gonna do just fine to hold on those hub covers, not necessarily the direction of the threads.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:30 PM   #10

Yes I have spoken to other Freightliner chassis owners and yes there is no one answer as to what tread pitch should be on what side. Freightliner Customer had nothing to add to clear it up as the individual I spoke to was not aware there were different options. Just the fact that there is a discussion about that caused me to question why a right hand tread would show up on the passenger side of the coach.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:18 PM   #11

Freighliner Customer Service has the wrench and cap nut and they are on order. Seams the original system did not hold up and there was a revision. Looks like some revisions were installed with right hand threads on both side and some with left and right hand nuts.

Going out this week end I had to come up with an answer. Made a centering bushing from a plastic pipe bushing, double nutted the stud to the bracket and the double nutted the bushing with enough load as to hold the cap from rotating against the wheel.

Not quite as neat as it could be but it should work.

I may have to rethink my camera angle on future shots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0514.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	344725  
Old 09-30-2021, 04:26 PM   #12

Glad you got something that works for you.

Tags
freightliner, rear