Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #1

Freightliner starting issue

Freightliner starting issue,
I parked it six weeks ago and Sunday it would not start, Caterpillar 3126 three hundred-horse power. I bought it new in 2000.

I have verified the fuel tank level and it is over ½ full. I changed both upper and lower filters and verified they are full of diesel fuel and primed the upper with the hand pump until very hard.

I went to Freightliner and they said tow it in ($300.00 tow) and they would fix it. They do all my maintenance but don’t do road service. Went to the Cat facility. There I was told to tow it in. But there I was told to check the engine lighting panel for the check engine light on or off. If the light is on this indicates a Cat issue and if it is not on it is a wiring issue with Freightliner and the chassis wiring.

How can I get this started and get it to Monroe, MI for service.
rrking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2009, 09:19 PM   #2

I would look for an independent diesel repair shop. Many of them are used to doing road service which would save you a ton!

I personally only use Cat or Freightliner at last option.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
We had that same chassis /engine set up. After sitting for a while, the engine would turn over, but was reluctant to start. I could put a single jumper cable from the house to the chassis battery and it would spin much faster and start the engine. I ended up replacing the chasis batteries. Whether or not this is your problem, I cannot say, but it worked for me.
Also had a MF tractor that would not start and held a gas soaked rag to the breather while the engine turned over - cranked right up. Might not be a good idea on yours since there is a heating grid in the air system on the Cat.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #4

some thoughts ...

1) If you have emergency road service call them ... mine will help with starts even if it is at my home

2) Start your generator ... hold your MOM switch closed (or slip a wedge under it) for 5 minutes

3) Hook some jumper cables onto one of your vehicles ... and let the vehicle run to charge the batteries for 10 or 15 minutes ... then try starting it ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Perhaps I'm missing something but it might be helpful to better understand your symptoms:
1. Assuming that the engine is turning over with the starter, does it sound like it is turning over at "normal" speed or does it sound slugglish?
2. Is there anything unusual about the way the dash lights come on when you turn the ignition key? There is a relay on my Freightliner that distributes 12 volts to many functions. If it isn't picking or perhaps the contacts in it are dirty, the engine, particularly the fuel pump relay may not be seeing voltage. Try turning the ignition switch on and off several times in a row (you can do it fairly slowly) and see if you hear that relay.
3. How long was the fuel in your tank before shutdown? Is it possible that it is contaminated, particularly with water or algae?
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #6

I had the same problem with mine i had a bad check valve allowing fuel to drain back into tank thus draining the fuel filters dry had to reprime with hand pump on filter to get it started you have to pump until it gets really hard to push. and later you can replace the check valve.
dsite304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #7

It sounds like you lost your prime on the fuel. CAT is not known to self prime. There is a procedure to prime the injectors but I can't help on that. When a tow becomes necessary the emergency road services are the way to go. It is a bit hard to sign up now and get a free tow but you might just be able to swing it.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote