Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2019, 08:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
X2!!!

I had the same kind of report on our Freightliner chassis...thrust angle off by .48 degrees, which is HUGE! The local shop wanted to cut and reweld to fix it. I declined and took it to another well respected alignment shop that specialized in motor homes, just a few hours away. Their verdict? Thrust angle was .04 degrees...well within specs.

I told the local shop about the big discrepancy. They found that their alignment machine was out of calibration. WAY out of calibration.

Get a second opinion!
I think you guys have the best advice.....get a second opinion. I will check around town to find out what other places might be available that I would trust. I went to this particular shop as it was where I had purchased my tires from a few years ago. No other reason.

Thanks,
jeff
Spizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2019, 08:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
toe adjustment doesn't affect thrust angle at all.
If it is abnormally pulling (has it changed over time?) then get a second opinion from a real truck alignment shop.
Dave,

I do understand that. He tweaked the toe not to try and fix the thrust, but to see if it would help my pulling to the side.

The pulling to the side I think hasn't suddenly appeared. It is so slight that I can never convince myself it isn't the wind, the crown of the road, etc.. It is just this trip where I felt it was definitely there.

thanks, jeff
Old 10-23-2019, 08:52 AM   #17

Hi Jeff, toe doesn't affect pull either.
It does affect center of steering wheel and centering force (this and caster).
It also negatively affects tire wear when too much toe (positive or negative).

Sounds like the issue is minor and you might just want to drive it instead of having people messing with near perfect.

There are specs and if it's to spec, drive it.

Pulling is either Thrust or drag on one side (typically brakes). Note that a worn part can show up on alignment as good (or bad) and be bad when driving when the vehicle pushes the worn part to it's extreme side from braking or suspension jostle. But if you aren't hearing any clunking, aren't feeling any undue looseness in steering and the RV feels stable on the road, drive it.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:33 AM   #18

Just remembered something...while I was trying to figure out why my old '94 Bounder with FL chassis pulled to the right, I did some internet searches about what would cause it if the alignment turned out to be OK and the consensus was 'tires'. And that rotating tires was the easy fix. Front to back and criss-cross type rotation. It was a long time ago and my memory...

But anyway, something to consider. Never did the rotation thing myself.

My newer '02 FL chassis though...wow, tracks perfectly. Even where I'd expect the road crown to push me to the right. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Hi Jeff, toe doesn't affect pull either.
It does affect center of steering wheel and centering force (this and caster).
It also negatively affects tire wear when too much toe (positive or negative).

Sounds like the issue is minor and you might just want to drive it instead of having people messing with near perfect.

There are specs and if it's to spec, drive it.

Pulling is either Thrust or drag on one side (typically brakes). Note that a worn part can show up on alignment as good (or bad) and be bad when driving when the vehicle pushes the worn part to it's extreme side from braking or suspension jostle. But if you aren't hearing any clunking, aren't feeling any undue looseness in steering and the RV feels stable on the road, drive it.

Thanks, Dave. Good info. I have learned a lot through the process, which will help me going forward. I appreciate you expertise.

Jeff
Old 10-24-2019, 06:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Just remembered something...while I was trying to figure out why my old '94 Bounder with FL chassis pulled to the right, I did some internet searches about what would cause it if the alignment turned out to be OK and the consensus was 'tires'. And that rotating tires was the easy fix. Front to back and criss-cross type rotation. It was a long time ago and my memory...

But anyway, something to consider. Never did the rotation thing myself.

My newer '02 FL chassis though...wow, tracks perfectly. Even where I'd expect the road crown to push me to the right. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Thanks, Jim. You know, it seems like Im always driving in a cross wind, and hundreds of miles steering into that has to wear the tires some. I see how that could cause a slight pull one way or another. Rotating the rears up to the front would fix that. I appreciate the insight!

Jeff

Tags
freightliner, rust