RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2017, 08:42 PM   #1

Freightliner vs Roadmaster chassis

We had a 2002 Kountry Star with freightliner chassis, and loved the handling. We are looking at a 2004 Holiday Rambler with a Roadmaster chassis. Is it as good as Freightliner? Any help appreciated
carsoncreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2017, 09:38 PM   #2

I had a 2008 8 air bag roadmaster. We now have a 2017 freightliner. Freightliner is 100% better handling and more "tight" than the roadmaster. Total night and day difference. I understand there is 10 years difference in the chassis model but I was stunned at how much better the freightliner drives and handles. Just did 680 miles today at 70mph. On the roadmaster 400-450 miles per day was max and 65 was as fast as I wanted to drive that thing...i would be wore out after fighting that thing all day. I would recommend driving both. I wish I would have in 2008...
codsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:42 PM   #3

Oh...and yes I did have the Roadmaster aligned and checked out by the dealer and a professional alignment shop. Understand checked out by the dealer doesn't mean much but they told me it was normal after driving it.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:50 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to Waterview202
I had a different experience,my road master is a much better ride then my previous freightliner chassis
Old 08-04-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"carsoncreek".....There are two basic types of Roadmaster chassis'. There is the single airbag model (RR4R) which used one airbag per wheel on the lower end Holiday Ramblers and Monaco coaches. The better model was the (RR8R) used on Monaco Diplomats and HR Endeavors and higher.

The RR8R had 8 bags, two airbags at each wheel. They were also mounted between the wheel and outside edge of the body, unlike a conventional chassis' that mounts them on the frame, inside the wheels. They also had 2 shocks per side, for a total of 8 shocks.

Monaco's chassis was ahead of it's time when it came to handling. After Monaco went out of business in 2009, a few people started making aftermarket products to improve the Roadmaster chassis which was now getting tired in design and rubber bushings that were getting old. I had a 2005 Monaco Diplomat that I added front and rear sway bars and Koni FSD shocks. My Monaco handled rough roads better than my current coach does, 2014 Freightliner XCR tag axle chassis.

One of the issues that many wanted improved was the wandering on the RR8R. They came out with an improved steering gearbox and a "X" brace for the rear and front suspension. Many who have these improvements say they handle and steer like a race car.

So......to answer your question. If you're looking at similar year Freightliner and Roadmaster chassis', I wouldn't fear a Roadmaster and would probably prefer it over the Freightliner.

There is a Monaco Owner's Forum on here where you can read up on all of the upgrades.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:19 PM   #6

The wandering you mention is the problem I was having with mine. I had to saw back and forth on the wheel to keep it between the lines. Trucks passing was always a white knuckle experience.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:14 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think you can draw any conclusions based on chassis brand alone. As Don already described, Roadmaster made a cheap 4-bag, straight rail chassis for low end diesels, and a much nicer and more capable 8-bag chassis for the higher end models. Freightliner has an even broader selection, all the way from a cheap straight rail with leaf spring to a top end raised rail air system with independent suspension.

Furthermore, motorhome manufacturers may under-spec the chassis for any given coach to hold the price down, so example may handle poorly simply because the coach builder made poor tradeoffs when configuring the chassis.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #8

As a 20 year with 250K miles traveled I would compare both to a Spartan chassis. For suspension with IFS, thick frame rails and cross members, electric systems and service you just can't beat Spartan.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Never had the Freightliner so can't compare them.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:45 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I've had them both, and both chassis are good! Each has it faults, but if maintained properly they will give you many years of great service! I now have a 22 year old RR8S Roadmaster, and it drive great, no wandering, straight and true, and is a very easy drive! Wheelbase and weight are a big factor in how a chassis will handle the MH that is built on top of it! If the manufacture gets the weight distributed right, the MH will drive much better than one that has had no consideration on where all the weight goes!
The only way to know is drive both, take them across a scale, and see for your self! JMHO! Rail!
Old 08-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsoncreek View Post
We had a 2002 Kountry Star with freightliner chassis, and loved the handling. We are looking at a 2004 Holiday Rambler with a Roadmaster chassis. Is it as good as Freightliner? Any help appreciated

Maybe someone could chime in on which model had the trailing arm issue?
Old 08-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by codsimms View Post
The wandering you mention is the problem I was having with mine. I had to saw back and forth on the wheel to keep it between the lines. Trucks passing was always a white knuckle experience.
That is exactly the problem discussed in the Monaco forum.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:09 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Roadmaster made a cheap 4-bag, straight rail chassis for low end diesels, and a much nicer and more capable 8-bag chassis for the higher end models.
We have the 4 bag Roadmaster that had the trailing arm recall. I ve been driving it for 4 years. I think it handles fine, but I have nothing of any significance to compare it to.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #14

Trailing arm issue was on the RR4R chassis but you can get the upgraded replacement parts to correct it.
Jandringa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, freightliner, roadmaster