Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmaustin View Post
It takes me about 30 to 45 mins to fill the FW tank when empty.

Yes we are in agreement on the options to change this. If I summarize it looks like maybe we move around more than some do and we therefore don’t use the extra tank to replenish the FW. If that is the main advantage of the current design that’s an easy choice for me.

If more people use an auxiliary tank vs filling while using inside then WGO has the right design.
This post, and you previous one, helps us to understand your situation. Don't know the size of your fresh tank, but if it's 100 gal. and it takes 30-45 min. to fill, then your in-flow rate from city water is between 2-3 gal/min., which is slightly lower than the typical MH water pump @3.5--probably enough to make use of the city water a poor choice. If you've installed a high-flow pump, then the difference will be very noticeable. If your tank is smaller, then the in-flow rate is closer to what the MH can provide through the pump.

You mentioned an auxiliary tank in your last post. Is your intention to add an new tank so you can fill the main tank and run the pump from the new tank during that time? This is what confuses me:

"If I summarize it looks like maybe we move around more than some do and we therefore don’t use the extra tank to replenish the FW. If that is the main advantage of the current design that’s an easy choice for me.

If more people use an auxiliary tank vs filling while using inside then WGO has the right design."

Does your wet bay have a connection labeled "Inlet to Pump" or something like that? If so, you could connect a portable tank of several gallons to use while filling the main tank. You would, of course, have to limit the inside use as the portable tank would be relatively small. Maybe this is what you do and is what you meant by auxiliary tank in the previous post.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
This post, and you previous one, helps us to understand your situation. Don't know the size of your fresh tank, but if it's 100 gal. and it takes 30-45 min. to fill, then your in-flow rate from city water is between 2-3 gal/min., which is slightly lower than the typical MH water pump @3.5--probably enough to make use of the city water a poor choice. If you've installed a high-flow pump, then the difference will be very noticeable. If your tank is smaller, then the in-flow rate is closer to what the MH can provide through the pump.

You mentioned an auxiliary tank in your last post. Is your intention to add an new tank so you can fill the main tank and run the pump from the new tank during that time? This is what confuses me:

"If I summarize it looks like maybe we move around more than some do and we therefore don’t use the extra tank to replenish the FW. If that is the main advantage of the current design that’s an easy choice for me.

If more people use an auxiliary tank vs filling while using inside then WGO has the right design."

Does your wet bay have a connection labeled "Inlet to Pump" or something like that? If so, you could connect a portable tank of several gallons to use while filling the main tank. You would, of course, have to limit the inside use as the portable tank would be relatively small. Maybe this is what you do and is what you meant by auxiliary tank in the previous post.
Sorry I was using auxiliary to mean any tank but the main tank. So for this discussion I should say portable.

SO if most people in their class A use a portable FW tank and boondock long enough to need it then WGO has the right design. For those of us who only sporadically boondock and for short periods of time and especially if you fill while using faucets inside you might want to make the changes I've mentioned. As I’ve said thats an easy choice for me.

This may be one of those discussions that are too long for a small topic so I’ll leave it there. Thank you to everyone for chiming in!
Old 07-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Yes, we find the city water to often be too low pressure. Especially at the end of some rows of campsites or using low flow faucets. We therefore run from the FW tank when more pressure is needed. In that case a navy shower really can be quick.

We also find on a few occasions where water quality is better at some sites and we fill the tank for use at poor quality sites. That’s not often but does occur.

We frequently are at a full hookup site, then a limited site, then full hookup again. We always “travel full” due to that and the Walmart/Cracker Barrel overnights.

Doing the above requires frequent tank fills.
That was the one reason and I have done that myself. All my rigs have had gravity feeds and I did the filling in the aftenoon while enjoying a beverage.
sandpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
So when I am filling the FW tank its usually in the morning when beginning a day.......fresh water from the sink faucets doent flow well and the DW can’t effectively cook breakfast till I’m done......

Do others have this problem?.......

What problem? It’s the nature of fluids. At a given pressure and pipe size, you will have a certain flow. If you divert the available flow to multiple targets, the total flow remains the same but you get a reduced flow to each destination. This is not a surprise.

Why don’t you just fill your fresh tank at a time when your wife is NOT trying to cook?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:20 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpsycho View Post
That was the one reason and I have done that myself. All my rigs have had gravity feeds and I did the filling in the aftenoon while enjoying a beverage.
Yes Sandpsycho, I think you understand my point and we agree on the issue in this scenario. I appreciate that others don’t operate the same way or don’t understand the design used in these cases. I wish mfgs would bring back the gravity feed.

When I make my changes I’ll decide if I want to go ahead adding a gravity feed (which was my original plan) or just change the pressure line routing. I like the suggested 3 way valve so I may look for one of those however I have a 60 gallon portable bladder and I’m pretty sure I’ll just fill something that big in the back of my pickup due to the 840 lb weight - then it would be high enough to drain into my FW tank anyway. Using the MH water pump to move 60 gallons seems like a pain and I’m not going to futz around with 5 gallons at a time.

Thanks for your input.

Bill
Old 08-09-2018, 09:36 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I’ve made some changes. I’ll document them here.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/impr...325989-20.html

Tags
fresh water, tank, water