Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #15

Rusty years,

Please let us know if you find someone in that area that does a good job with your install.

My wife would absolutely be thrilled if I opened my wallet and installed a residential refer. She likes her ice cream cold, not the mushy stuff we get from our current freezer.

I've already installed the pure sine inverter and two extra batteries for the day when my Dometic dies. I just have a hard time yanking out a (semi) working unit and replacing it before its timely death... although DW may get her way sooner. Okay, I like cold ice cream too!

Good luck and please come back and update (pics are good too!!).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Macantic,
Totally disagree on resale.
I'm only going by an article I read in a magazine on the subject.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
it brings down the resale value of your coach.
I was at a RV fire safety seminar Jan 2014. Mac McCoy stated during that seminar, there have been 4,000 Norcold fires in the last 4 years. I would be interested to know how having a problematic Norcold unit improves resale value of your RV.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #18

I at the recent RV Motor Home show in Houston, TX I walked through all of the Big New Motor Homes from some of the leading manufacturers. They all had big double door and freezer residential fridges. Only the smaller trailers and class C's had the absorption fridges. The tide has turned to residential fridges. Just my thoughts
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z714X4 View Post
Rusty years,

Please let us know if you find someone in that area that does a good job with your install.

My wife would absolutely be thrilled if I opened my wallet and installed a residential refer. She likes her ice cream cold, not the mushy stuff we get from our current freezer.

I've already installed the pure sine inverter and two extra batteries for the day when my Dometic dies. I just have a hard time yanking out a (semi) working unit and replacing it before its timely death... although DW may get her way sooner. Okay, I like cold ice cream too!

It's called preventive care. Why wait for it to go and lose everything and be without a fridge? In So Fl, I replaced the central air because it was old and rusty and summer was coming.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty years View Post
It's called preventive care. Why wait for it to go and lose everything and be without a fridge? In So Fl, I replaced the central air because it was old and rusty and summer was coming.
I get it in your situation, but my rig is barely 2 1/2 years old. I should have a few more years left in the fridge before anything happens to it and that's why I have a hard time spending the money right now... its just breaking in.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Z714X4,

Better now than having to buy a whole brand new rig with the depreciated money the insurance company had given you for a total loss.

Besides, there is a market for decent running Dometic RV fridges versus the Norcold aka NotSoCold's. What you get for the RV fridge will offset some of the costs of upgrading to a residential.

Trust me, after it's installed you will be asking yourself why you didn't do it earlier.

Have you read even one post from an owner who has installed a residential fridge who ended up regretting that he did?

I haven't!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #22

LOL, thanks Richard. Yet another sensible post I cannot let my wife read.

That's the reason I asked Rusty years to let me know if he found someone to do the job. I know both my wife and I would be much happier with the RR.

I give it until about August in Southern Kalifornia when its about 100+ F outside... I'll be wanting the upgrade and will happily part with the money.

Thanks guys, its on my list, sooner rather than later.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
Like they say,"to each their own",unless you are always at a campground or run your genny it is not for me.plus,it brings down the resale value of your coach.
Samsang 197 is actually more efficient than Norcold unit half its storage capacity and runs on house batteries forever. I am also not sure if it will bring down the resale that either. as long as you keep your batteries in good shape, you'll be fine.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:57 PM   #24

Quote:
I get it in your situation, but my rig is barely 2 1/2 years old. I should have a few more years left in the fridge before anything happens to it and that's why I have a hard time spending the money right now... its just breaking in.
Wait for it to go bad. Ours was fixed today and we are hitting the road for 6 months.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Rusty years,

Before the freezer fan quit, we had hard ice cream. Maybe there's something else going on.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #26

Quote:
LOL, thanks Richard. Yet another sensible post I cannot let my wife read.

That's the reason I asked Rusty years to let me know if he found someone to do the job. I know both my wife and I would be much happier with the RR.

I give it until about August in Southern Kalifornia when its about 100+ F outside... I'll be wanting the upgrade and will happily part with the money.

Thanks guys, its on my list, sooner rather than later.
One place in Oregon quoted $1400 for a fridge and $1400 labor, outrageous.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Just picked up my rig yesterday from the dealer that did my Norcold to Samsung refrigerator swap. I may have tried it myself, especially after reading all about the process on this site, but I was having the 1-piece windshield replaced and figured it would be easier done together. The fridge cost me about $1200 from Home Depot, and it was delivered to the dealer. He plugged it in for a day or two to verify ops, and when the windshield was removed, he removed the Norcold and installed the Samsung, along with some minor cabinet trimming and filling - there was a 3" bottom trim piece that had to be removed and some trim installed at the top. $528 for that work. We have had the fridge running since we returned home yesterday, and it appears to be using less electricity than the old Norcold when on 120v, I may have to run my generator an additional couple of hours compared to the Norcold on LP gas. Works for us - and I am looking forward to cold adult beverages and frozen ice cream!

Oh yeah, we had the work done at Evergreen RV Center in New Braunfels TX (866-656-0352). I highly recommend their services. There is a another company in the building that focuses on RV painting (CPR Inc.) that did the actual windshield swap. Ron and Dale were great to work with - they communicated effectively throughout the repair. They did what they said they would do, on time and for what I consider to be a fair price. And no, this is not a paid advertisement.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
1skier,

You are officially a member of the Samsung Fridge Owners Club.

Welcome and you will quickly be asking yourself why you didn't have it done earlier, well except for the windshield replacement.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge