Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #1

Fridge changeout

Will be in Bakersfield, Pismo beach and paso robles ca, in the next 3 weeks. Would like to put in residential fridge. Anyone know someone in that area to do it. Thanks.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #2

Like they say,"to each their own",unless you are always at a campground or run your genny it is not for me.plus,it brings down the resale value of your coach.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #3

I disagree. Were I in the market today, a I would consider a residential fridge a bonus. Better performance & less fire hazard. The ability to run on LP is not as valuable to me.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
I disagree. Were I in the market today, a I would consider a residential fridge a bonus. Better performance & less fire hazard. The ability to run on LP is not as valuable to me.
X2 I ditched the 1200 Not-So-Cold and it is one of the best moves that I have made, because now I can sleep at night. Mine had the recalls and the fans ran all the time went it was 75-80 outside and the inside temp was 52 degs. Now the freezer is set at -2 and the frig +38 all the time. The main reason they put a gen-set in a MH is to use them if needed, so I will use mine.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Residential Fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty years View Post
Will be in Bakersfield, Pismo beach and paso robles ca, in the next 3 weeks. Would like to put in residential fridge. Anyone know someone in that area to do it. Thanks.
If you don't mind driving further north I highly recommend Elite RV remodel & repair in Harrisburg Oregon. They replaced my no-cold last year with a Samsung RF197. They did a fantastic job and I have had no problems whatsoever. This was one of the best upgrades I have done.
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Just got rid of my Dometic for a Samsung 197. It is really a terrible refer, it keeps the ice cream frozen, and the beer cold unlike the Dometic. It weighs less that the old Dometic so the DW can load it up.

Don't know anyone where you will be but a drive to Junction City,OR will get you to Amazing Creations

I have had extensive remodel done by them, excellent work.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #7

We are considering doing that in our coach. What kind of costs did you see for the Refrig and the modifications to the cabinetry? Thanks
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #8

Doing the work myself, frig $1,209 shipping included, and insulation and parts about $150 more.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbburgess View Post
We are considering doing that in our coach. What kind of costs did you see for the Refrig and the modifications to the cabinetry? Thanks
We bought the refer from Home Depot for $1100. If you are a vet, don't forget the 10% discount they will give you. I had a new inverter with battery monitor and auto gen start installed along with the refer cabinet mods done and the cost was $1100.

Totally worth it
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #10

Macantic,
Totally disagree on resale.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:36 AM   #11

We had the Samsung installed at the same place as dons2346 Junction City,OR Amazing Creations Great work and fast, worth the time. Don had a little more work to do on the inside than I did but both had the inverter switched out to the Magnum, my install ran $700. This is just like my install Samsung Refrigerator Install but I drink different beer.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #12

Anyone have an East Coast recommendation for doing this changeout?
Old 04-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I will add my own two cents along with my own personal "to each their own" view.

After fighting with the NotSoCold for so many years that I have now forgotten how long the misery was along with the hundreds of dollars trying to make the POS work which it won't, in 2012 the Samsung RF197 was installed by Billy Thibodeaux's RV shop in Scott LA. Not the cheapest RV shop to have this done but it was a convenient stop on our way from Florida to Alaska.

I can also camp with the best of them who have the older technology AC/LPG fridges. I have gone days at a time without hookups. After all, I own a "self-contained" motorcoach.

My fridge keeps everything cold and is steady at between 36-37 degrees F. My freezer runs between 0 and -9 degrees F consistently. My food does not spoil prematurely anymore. Plus after doing a three month study on the power consumption of the RF197 fridge it uses less power to run it versus the NotSoCold. I calculated an average of 1.81 - 1.83 KWH per day of energy use.

I am one Happy Camper.

Fridges have nothing to do with resale values but let me give you some "food" for thought. Have you ever been through a high end motorcoach such as a Prevost, Marathon, Newell, etc. that had an AC/LPG fridge installed.

Do you really think by having a residential fridge in those coaches that it has decreased their values?

That reasoning may hold up for people who own tents but not so for those that own RVs.

I always tell people that it is your RV, your money and your decision as to how it should be equipped and how you want to spend YOUR money.

Whatever rocks your RV!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #14

Thanks for the great info. Do you remember how much it cost?
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge