Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #1

Fridge on all the time

Hello, We have a 2016 Coachmen Mirada 35BH. The residential refrigerator runs anytime we're on the road or anytime shore power is connected. This is great when using the coach, but when sitting in the driveway, I connect 115V power to keep the batteries charged. The refrigerator comes on eventhough I set the control in OFF position. I removed the lower drawer next to the fridge and found the receptacle and unplugged the fridge. Is this normal, or is there a problem with the OFF switch? I am thinking about wiring a separate switch between the receptacle and the fridge plug so that I don't have to unplug it when it's in the driveway. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks.
JnVfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2018, 09:19 PM   #2

Frig switch

I just use the circuit breaker.

Dave
07 Rev 40E
Sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:57 PM   #3

I had my Samsung 197 RR Frig installed going on 5 years ago and it has never been turned off runs in the inverter going down the road or boon docking. When at home I use my frig all the time to keep the beer cold and the ice cream hard
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportech View Post
I just use the circuit breaker.

Dave
07 Rev 40E
I think this is the answer if you don't want it to run. Being a residential type it's meant to run constantly but I suppose it is a bit wasteful from a power consumption and longevity standpoint. Although, is it sitting worse for longevity? I don't know the answer to that one.

I do know these newer fridges are a lot more energy efficient than the older ones (which is why they can run off batteries in RVs). I'd probably lean towards just letting it run. I can only hope to have a new enough coach someday to need to wonder about this
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:06 AM   #5

On ours, the lights will turn on, but just for a few minutes, even if the refer is off
Old 06-25-2018, 07:43 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Any digital controlled system will draw power when turned off. It has to have power to work when you push the button to turn it back on.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:09 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I also just flip the circuit breaker.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I don't think that would be normal!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
On ours, the lights will turn on, but just for a few minutes, even if the refer is off
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
Any digital controlled system will draw power when turned off. It has to have power to work when you push the button to turn it back on.

You really didn't let us know if the refrigerator is cooling after you push the OFF button.

My guess is the two posts, above, explain your situation. Even a home refrigerator will have the control panel and interior lights working after being turned OFF. The cooling stops, but the controls/lights still work.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:16 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I set our residential refrigerator or freezer setting to 0 both will not cool but the light will come on.

Currently though we are running the freezer at 4 and the refrigerator at 0 because our S&B fridge icemaker is on the blink. Nice to have a backup while we wait for the warranty work to be done.
oldSarge98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #11

A nickel a day if you don't open the doors, nothing if you have solar and you have it always ready to go. After you had it off for a few days it'll take at least an hour or more of runtime to cool back down. No need to worry about mold, it can still grow with the doors open. Longevity is a mute point, it will most likely outlive your RV by several years.

IMO, leave it on.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:44 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
My tiffin has a maytag (whirlpool) resi fridge. Once we return from a trip and unload the fridge, I simply press and hold the fridge power button for 4 seconds and it shuts off. I turn it on 24 hours prior to leaving to give it enough chance to cool down and get a head start on making ice (has an ice maker in it). In that 24 hour head start it will fill the ice bucket maybe 1/2 full...
Old 06-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JnVfla View Post
...I removed the lower drawer next to the fridge and found the receptacle and unplugged the fridge. Is this normal, or is there a problem with the OFF switch?
This is what I do, too. Shut it off, then unplug it...that way it is totally off. I see no point in it running if it's not being used.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:51 PM   #14

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
This is what I do, too. Shut it off, then unplug it...that way it is totally off. I see no point in it running if it's not being used.
Thanks to all replies. I believe it is cooling because....well, it's cold...Also, there is always a puddle on the top shelf from the freeze - defrost cycling when it's empty. After reconsidering, it's really not a big deal. I think I will take some of the advice and either keep my beer and ice cream in there, or just unplug it when not in use. See you on the road.
JnVfla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge