RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2018, 12:54 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
fridge on inverter

Need to replace our RV fridge 15 +years old. Can I run a residential though the inverter full time? If I am on hookups 50amp etc.will the power go though the inverter to the fridge without hurting anything? The 110 plug in the fridge area is straight 110, not though the inverter, so I would need to rewire it though the inverter.
Thanks for any suggestions.
webbman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2018, 02:59 AM   #2

Devil is in the details! What inverter? MSW or PSW?

Some general input:
-Yes you can run residential fridges via inverter. Some wil, work on MSW, but PSW is usually better,
-While on shore power. Most inverters are set up to 'pass thru' the 110 power.
-Usually a fridge is on it's own 20A circuit breaker. Not powered by the inverter. But usually pretty easy to go to the bacm of the circuit breaker arwa, and rewire the fridges cicuit breaker to be on the power side feed from the inverter.
-Suggest you review battery bank house size ti ensure it's adequate.

More info from you, will allow more finite input.
Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:08 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My Norcold went out last month and I struggled as to what to replace it with. We do quite a bit of boon docking and I was worried about energy consumption and inverter usage.

Here is a link to my thread
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/sams...ce-378380.html

We could not get by with a smaller frig, we need the freezer space for ice blocks to keep my wife's Pekingese cool during travel. So we needed a french door type frig which there are 2 that are usually used. A Samsung RF18, cost ~$1200, or a Fisher Paykel, cost ~$2800, of the same size. There are several counter depth 2 door types but usually a lot smaller but easier to fit.

Depending on your set up as to the refrigerator it may be an easy swap.

I ended up buying the Samsung as it does work on the inverter and I got a great price of $900 on clearance.

Problem is I have to lower my furnace to floor to gain sufficient head room but there are several posts describing this and it you are comfortable with tackling the job it is doable.

I had posted questions on the Monacoers yahoo group and received a number of responses to my questions so am feeling more comfortable with my decision. I may end up having to run the generator slightly more then before but since we travel with dogs we usually had to run for overhead AC anyway during hot weather.

I currently have the frig plugging in using a Kill-a-Watt to see what power consumption is. When first plugged in it got down to 38F in the frig in a couple hours and it dropped ice in the freezer within 5 hours. It does have the option to turn the ice maker off and has an energy saver option.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #4

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbman57 View Post
Need to replace our RV fridge 15 +years old.

Can I run a residential though the inverter full time? Sure, most of us do.

If I am on hookups 50amp etc.will the power go though the inverter to the fridge without hurting anything? The inverter simply 'passes thru' 120v power from outside sources, either Shore Power or Generator, whether it's ON or OFF. No problem, that's how it's 'supposed' to work for you.

The 110 plug in the fridge area is straight 110, not though the inverter, so I would need to rewire it though the inverter. Yes, if your originally fridge was an 'RV fridge' that works on both elec/propane.

Now, what SIZE is your inverter? Most units, even new ones, with residential fridges come with 2 6-volt deep charge batteries and a 1,000w Inverter or larger, many with 4 batteries and a 2,000w Inverter, especially since most all outlets in the coach are on the inverter, not just the fridge.

enjoy!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:06 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most RV inverters/chargers have a built in transfer switch that supplies shore power to the outlets fed by the inverter when connected to power.
In the absence of shore power, the inverter - fed by its battery bank - will supply power to the same outlet until shore power is restored.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:27 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone. I have 2000 watt inverter and 4 6v batteries. Think the inverter is MSW, so will need to see what happens.
webbman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:20 PM   #7

I had my Samsung 197 along with the Magnum 2812 inverter installed going on 5 years ago and the frig has never been turn off, always on. Going down the road or boon docking up to 6 days at a time.
My daughter has an 05 Monaco and had the https://www.goedekers.com/Fisher-Paykel-RF170ADX4.html Installed and still has the Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter and there frig is on all the time also.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbman57 View Post
Thanks everyone. I have 2000 watt inverter and 4 6v batteries. Think the inverter is MSW, so will need to see what happens.
Must be the Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter and it should work fine. I have 4 batteries so does my daughter.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Another option is to add a separate pure sine wave inverter and an auto transfer switch for the fridge. I would suggest you look at a KISAE SWXFR1210 1000W Pure Sine Inverter w/ Transfer or KISAE SWXFR1220 2000W Pure Sine Inverter w/ Transfer. (Cost @ $350 - $450) or a Xantrex prowatt sw1000 pure sine wave inverter (806-1210 with only a .6 amp no load draw $285)+ Kisae TS20A 20A auto transfer switch ($60)
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:54 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I just removed the old Dometic and put a residential in its place. For now (waiting for warm weather so I can work outside) I have it plugged into the original 110 outlet.

I'm thinking about buying a 1200 watt PSW inverter from Amazon ($170), and use it to power the frig and a couple other outlets that we plug in things like phone chargers and my satellite receiver. This inverter has automatic transfer so when it detects 110 volts, it automatically transfers.

Residential Frig Replacement – 1999 Southwind 35S

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, inverter