Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2021, 07:21 PM   #1

Front A/C-Heat Pump

I have an 2020 encore 325ss coachmen with airxcell 45000 series heat pumps (2). The rear one works fine. Yesterday the front one failed. When I turn on the front one, both units quit. Have to go out to the pole and flip the breaker. The minute the front unit is turned on, same thing happens. The breaker itself does not flip either on the pole or the panel in the coach. We had a surge protector put in a few weeks ago and this is our first trip since then. We are traveling across the country to Washington state from Maine and the heat is killing us. Anyone have any insight? Is it the surge protector or AC unit itself?
Thanks,
Tony
TonyCicoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2021, 07:32 PM   #2

Hi Tony,
Sorry to hear you are having problems. Have you tried running the front unit on its own? Have you checked the amp draw on both units. Also check supply voltage. I would also check the capacitors. Good luck
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:56 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I'm pretty sure the AC is pulling too many amps and tripping the circuit. That normally means the compressor is locked or the start capacitor is bad. Capacitors are dirt cheap; compressors are very expensive, and normally can't be replaced.

So your choice. Are you feeling lucky?

To replace the capacitor, get the specs. Normally stamped on it. (To save money, you don't need to buy the part from Airxcel. Any capacitor that matches will work fine. I think around $15.)
Old 06-14-2021, 03:40 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyCicoria View Post
We are traveling across the country to Washington state from Maine and the heat is killing us. Anyone have any insight? Is it the surge protector or AC unit itself?
Thanks,
Tony
Not sure where you are at this point or your route, but we have a great RV Tech at our campground in Batesville Indiana (about half way between Indianapolis & Cincinnati). He stays busy in the campground, but is usually able to see you in a day or two. If you cannot figure your issue out on your own, or don’t want to, it may be worth a detour. (Chicago to Indianapolis (I65), to Batesville (I74), to Cincinnati (I74), then Cleveland (I71)).

The campground is Indian Lakes which has KOA and Thousand Trails components. Check your PMs for details on the RV Tech.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:45 AM   #5

While it is possible that there is a problem with your air conditioner, I would consider that to be unlikely. I would suspect that your front air conditioner is a much larger (more BTU's) than the rear and for that reason would expect that it would draw more current than the rear one.
Quote:
When I turn on the front one, both units quit. Have to go out to the pole and flip the breaker.
Have you tried operating the front a/c while the rear is off? Are you connected to a 30A power pedestal or a 50A and is your power cord 30/50a? Based on your first statement it would seem that you are overloading the circuit breaker on the power pole or that the circuit breaker there is weak and needs to be replaced.
Quote:
The breaker itself does not flip either on the pole or the panel in the coach.
I do not understand this part? Above you say that you reset it at the pole. If that circuit breaker is tripping, it would not move the actuator handle to the off position but most do move slightly. To reset any circuit breaker you move the handle to the off position, then close it again.
Quote:
We had a surge protector put in a few weeks ago and this is our first trip since then. ............... Is it the surge protector or AC unit itself?
If you are resetting the circuit breaker at the power pole to get power back, then your new surge protector plays no part in it. If the power goes away, but will turn back on after a few minutes without you doing anything, that would indicate some fault being detected by your power protection device. If yours is the full power protection type of surge protector it will also interrupt the power if the supply voltage should fall below 108V or so. It does that because low voltage will cause damage to an electric motor if it is allowed to run on low voltages for an extended period. While there are other types of fault that those protectors interrupt, low voltage would be the one that is most common when using an air conditioner.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:19 AM   #6

Thank you all. I was able to get a camping world in ND to look at it. They said the compressor is seized. They found oil and freon on the coils, indicating a leak which lead to the compressor seizing...amperage draw exceeded 50A due to that, which shut down the circuit through the surge protector. They said it needed a new unit...which they didn't have to replace it.
TonyCicoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:54 AM   #7
Dom

Thanks for letting everyone know. All too often the OP just gets it diagnosed or fixed without letting is know, and we're all left wondering.

Tags
heat, pump