Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2021, 08:07 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Front cap - side panel sealing tape

I have a new-to-me '07 Coachmen Mirada. The sealant that covers the joint between the front cap and side body panel is some sort of textured rubberised(?) tape that is cracking. Just wondering how one bonds this joint? RV sealant? Remove the tape or just tape over and with what?

Thanks

TheCatsRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2021, 05:50 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatsRV View Post
I have a new-to-me '07 Coachmen Mirada. The sealant that covers the joint between the front cap and side body panel is some sort of textured rubberised(?) tape that is cracking. Just wondering how one bonds this joint? RV sealant? Remove the tape or just tape over and with what?

Thanks

Sounds like the current sealant might be Eternabond tape?
Pics would help.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:49 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is what it looks like

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnrZHGaAwtashJVX...-bABg?e=L9ZBIT

How is the joint between the caps and side panels usually sealed?

Old 10-12-2021, 06:02 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm not familiar with that tape but Pro Flex by Geocel is used by a lot or manufactures to seal that type of joint. It comes in clear, black and white.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:04 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
I'm not familiar with that tape but Pro Flex by Geocel is used by a lot or manufactures to seal that type of joint. It comes in clear, black and white.

Thanks. I've been told by an RV shop to take the stuff off with a heat gun first. Are they right?

I am getting some mechanicals done to the RV before putting it under cover for the winter.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:55 AM   #6

The tape looks like an add on by a previous owner. If you look where it has peeled off in your picture you can see the caulk applied by the manufacturer.

New sealer needs to be applied to the body and trim. The tape is going to continue to crack, anything you put over the top is going to be loose because it's bonded to loose tape.

It will probably take a heat gun to loosen the tape, plastic putty knives to scrape it and solvent to clean all the adhesive off. The little bit of manufacturer sealer visible looks OK, it's hard to tell why the tape is there in the first place.

If you take the tape off it's another big job to clean the original sealer to reseal the trim. The tape is pulling off the sealer first from the way it looks. You could pick it away from the sealer looking for any sign of a bad section in the manufacturer sealer that caused a leak. If not decide from the what you want to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tape.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	345977  
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:46 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks. No idea why the tape is there. Assuming I get the tape off and create a cleans surface, what is the best/proper sealant/caulk to use? I kow it isn't silicon.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatsRV View Post
Thanks. No idea why the tape is there. Assuming I get the tape off and create a cleans surface, what is the best/proper sealant/caulk to use? I kow it isn't silicon.

I've heard Geocel Pro Flex RV sealant is good. It comes in white, clear, black.
I just used some clear on my joints and marker lights.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:19 AM   #9

When you get the tape off you can use Xylene to clean up the residue. It will not harm paint if it spills. The correct roofing caulk is Dicor self leveling caulk. Proflex is for verticle seams, not roofs.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front cap, panel, seal