Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2005, 10:34 AM   #1

Hi, Opinions please. What are the pros and cons of Class A with a front door instead of a middle door? My wife's first reaction was that it might be harder to get stuff in through the front than through the middle. Please let me know what you have learned through experience. Thanks,Harvey

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2005, 10:34 AM   #2

Hi, Opinions please. What are the pros and cons of Class A with a front door instead of a middle door? My wife's first reaction was that it might be harder to get stuff in through the front than through the middle. Please let me know what you have learned through experience. Thanks,Harvey

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Our first coach was a mid door (2003 Suncruiser). Then again, most gassers are mid-door. When it came time to look at diesel pushers we initially thought we would rather have a mid door so we looked at Alpine Coach and other mid door DPs because most DPs came with the front door.

I guess what turned us from the mid door at first was the lack of suitable floor plans. The mid door takes up a chunk of wall space, right where you don't want it taken up. With a front door you don't lose as much space because you need to have foot well room for the passenger anyway so you get a nice long wall to lay out couches, recliners, kitchen counters, etc. After we thought about it we decided we'd go with the best floor plan and let the door be wherever it was.

Now that we have the front door we like it. It does help keep the middle of the coach cleaner because the dirt (and shoes that pile up) are left in the front. We initially thought that the passenger would be in the way at fuel stops and stuff but that really hasn't been an issue. When fueling the power footrest goes down and the passenger generally has something to do mid coach anyway (like go to the bathroom ). As to fitting stuff in through the door - they're all narrow. We haven't seen any difference in door location. Plus, the front door is a heavy door that's mounted near the front cap so it's solid. Our mid door wasn't as well built and the coach squirms around quite a bit in the middle so it squeaked and made more noise when driving. Now that we've had a front door, we'll stick with it on any future coaches as well. What initially looked to be a concern turned out to be a non-event. Just go with the floor plan you like best.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:54 PM   #4

Cruzer's reply was right on the money. We had the same fears when we purchased our first coach with the front door, but it hasn't been an issue.
We have since purchased our second coach with the front bus style door, wouldn't really want anything else.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:48 AM   #5

I'm on the other side of the fence. I like the mid door. My primary reasons are that we can get a tile floor at the entry (always easier to clean than carpet), and that we can leave the door open under the awning (doesn't take a separate awning like most front doors). Most gassers have mid doors, most DPs have front cab doors. I have to agree with the above posts that the front door location can make for some better floor layouts, but it wasn't an option for me; -gassers have the mid door.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:12 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I personally like the mid- door, however what really confounds me is why don,t the MFG. build a pusher with a mid door and a Driver's door. If you break down with a pusher and you pull on to a shoulder and hug the guard rail, how do you exit??

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:17 AM   #7

when I was looking recently..
1) dome dp doors opened wider than others...might be due to the placement of the right side rear view mirror.
2) some mfg had wider doors compared to others...might only be couple of inches...but noticeable.
3) the "landing area" just inside the door. depending on the placement of the passenger seat, the design of the console and the overhead tv, some units had more "space" for you as you come in. Some were really tight and some were potential head knockers...

I would like to see more DP with driver side door and large power driver side window.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:38 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Captain Bud:
I personally like the mid- door, however what really confounds me is why don,t the MFG. build a pusher with a mid door and a Driver's door. If you break down with a pusher and you pull on to a shoulder and hug the guard rail, how do you exit?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some do.

Mid door and driver's door