Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2021, 08:29 PM   #1

Front Duo Therm A/C high speed fan issue?

Hello All, today and for the next 5 days we are in 90+ temps. I ran both front and back AC's with no issue. Actually, we rarely run the units and I have never had an issue in the 7 years we've owned this coach. Today I decided to change the speed on the front unit from low to high. After I changed it, it went to high speed and then a few mins later made a weird noise then eventually made a louder sound and then the unit basically shut down. I pulled the interior vent cover off and could spin the squirrel cage. I ran up on the roof and took the shroud off and didn't see anything abnormal. I checked the breaker in the panel and it was fine. I check the small 5amp? fuse on the circuit board in the front unit and it was good. I was going to check to verify I had 120V to the unit when I couldn't find my small meter. Shoot. I decided to turn on the unit in low speed and the blower came on. I said a few nice words and after a minute or 3, the compressor came on and is now working fine. I'm afraid to go to medium or high speed until after our trip when I get home. When I was on the roof, I studied the motor that runs the squirrel cage and the duct around it seems flimsy and rattles there. I'm wondering if on high speed, the fan gets unbalanced and maybe it moved a tiny bit on the shaft and hit the aluminum casing and caused my problem? I need to recheck the rubber mounts on that motor as it seems as if it can move depending on how fast squirrel cage is spinning. It was too hot up there to do much else for today. Does anyone know if the high speed runs off a different relay, or are all the speeds controlled by the same controller? Anyone replace the rubber motor mounts or take the squirrel cage off for inspection and re-install? I'm sure with more time I can find my problem but being under the gun with 90*+ heat and my family angrily staring at me, it's frustrating. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2021, 09:39 PM   #2

Some have had their fan motor sag do to rubber isolators. Mine seem to flex in the middle the way flat sheet metal gets wobbly or pops One Direction. I used a shim block of green treated wood but I have a fiberglass roof . Yes you're correct each winding will have its own set of contacts . A 3-speed motor has three different windings but I frankly haven't seen just one of one windings going bad but it's possible. It could have tripped resetting thermal overload switch thats inside of motors. I'm not sure it's in your circuit though. A fan is going to vibrate more the faster it goes could be catching a mud dauber nest or there could be one inside of the fan.
I don't think is your issue but...
The fan run capacitor helps to align the amp draw to voltage on sine wave it smooths out a motor a bit , decreases draw and heat.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Back ~6 years ago I started to have trouble with my front AC pulling higher amperage and would occasionally kick the breaker. The front AC was louder then the rear also. I went on top, pulled the shroud, and turned the motor by hand, it was almost froze up.

So I found a new motor on line for ~$125.
Pulled the old motor/fan assemble and found that the rubber motor mounts were collapsed, which caused the condenser fan was hitting the sheet metal sometimes. The condenser fan also had a buildup of dirt so while I had it off I cleaned.

I peeled up the sheet metal on the evaporator fan so I could clean both sides. The evaporator fan was pretty clean so just vacuumed if off.

Put everything back together and the AC units runs much quieter, pulls less amps, and cools better.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Back ~6 years ago I started to have trouble with my front AC pulling higher amperage and would occasionally kick the breaker. The front AC was louder then the rear also. I went on top, pulled the shroud, and turned the motor by hand, it was almost froze up.

So I found a new motor on line for ~$125.
Pulled the old motor/fan assemble and found that the rubber motor mounts were collapsed, which caused the condenser fan was hitting the sheet metal sometimes. The condenser fan also had a buildup of dirt so while I had it off I cleaned.

I peeled up the sheet metal on the evaporator fan so I could clean both sides. The evaporator fan was pretty clean so just vacuumed if off.

Put everything back together and the AC units runs much quieter, pulls less amps, and cools better.
Thanks. Do you know where you got the rubber mounts or did you just use simple universal ones. I'm sure this is my issue. Just have to wait until our trip is over.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan