Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Front end sway in a Tiffin Allegro 34TGA

Hello all. I am new to this site and will ask this question that you have probably seen many times. In January I took a trip in the 2012 Tiffin during a period of heavy winds. Had the feeling of having very little control of the rig and spent most of the time on the rumble strips on I95. Any suggestion on a shock type stabilizer for this specific rig.
silverado574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #2

If you are sitting on the Ford chassis (you didn't say) you need to reposition the sway bars to the hole closer to the axle. Also a rear trac bar will do wonders.
Also go to tiffinnetwork.com and you will get alot more information on their form.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Front end sway

Yes it is a F53 chassis. It has the V-10 engine. I would go out and look at what you are talking about but this thing has been in the shop most of the time since I have had it. The DVD will not work and while it was in the shop to fix it, and the kitchen light that would not work unless the outside light was on, someone at the dealer cut a hole in the roof to fix the wire and it had to go back to Redbay for a new skin. Boy what a nightmare thishas been.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #4

While it is at Redbay, let Tiffin know of your handling problems. They should be able to fix it. Should not do what you are experiencing.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #5

silverado574,

On my new 35QBA Allegro I had a similar experience. Brand new motorhome and I didn't like the way it drove.

Since my coach came with front and rear sway bars and a front trac bar I decided better shocks would be the most helpful for the ride and a rear trac bar would help with the wind and prevent some of the pushing around from the big rigs. I installed Koni FSD shocks and Henderson trac bar. Wow, what a difference they made!! I'm a really happy camper! The expansion joints on the freeway are much better and I feel the wind issue from big rigs has been 80% fixed. That's huge.

I was really tempted to get air bags and almost did... and might still. But for now I'm really happy with the improvements I made.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:13 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks

Thanks for the information on the 35 footer. Is there a website that cross references with part numbers? Just got a recall from Ford yesterday on a shift cable recall. When it rains it pours. Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your time on the site. Sorry to hear of your handling problems and hope you get them resolved. Did you check your tire pressure. Things will get to wandering if they are over inflated. Just a thought. Good Luck and enjoy all your travels.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I have a 2012 34TGA that is currently on the line at Red Bay that we will get later this month. My current rig, an 04 Allegro 32BA felt a little light in the front end at times and the shocks were worn out. Last year, I had new Koni FSD's as well as a Henderson front track bar and a roadmaster rear sway bar installed. Those upgrades together with making certain that the tires were inflated properly made all the difference. I sort of hate trading it in because it rides and handles so well, but we want a new coach.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado574 View Post
Thanks for the information on the 35 footer. Is there a website that cross references with part numbers? Just got a recall from Ford yesterday on a shift cable recall. When it rains it pours. Thanks again.
Just give them a call. Very nice people and very helpful.
RV and Truck Parts and Service - Henderson's Line-Up

I haven't got my recall notice yet... maybe, just maybe I don't need the recall.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #10

We have a 2009 Allegro Open Road we bought new in '09. First trip almost lost it in uneven pavement in Oregon. Return trip home put on front and rear stabilizers. Have not helped much. This trip the unit is still swaying. Can't go around curves at normal speeds, too much leaning. Not an enjoyable experience. Have had other motor homes and never experienced this. I was a long haul truck driver for many years so am not new to driving. We would appreciate any input. We cannot afford to get another motor home and are stuck with this one, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
MaryFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #11

When I bought my 2000 Allegro 31UA WB (32ft) I thought I made a mistake buying either an Allegro or a gas class A in general. The next year I took it in to have it alignment. OMG! What a difference! With the align they change all of the front axle u-bolts and this rig is just a joy to drive since. In process of trading in too and DW and I hope the new Georgetown drives as well.

PS Before final decision on the Georgetown I told the dealer I want an alignment on it. Salesman asked if I had the Allegro aligned and sorta told him above story. It is now at Ford.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryFred View Post
We have a 2009 Allegro Open Road we bought new in '09. First trip almost lost it in uneven pavement in Oregon. Return trip home put on front and rear stabilizers. Have not helped much. This trip the unit is still swaying. Can't go around curves at normal speeds, too much leaning. Not an enjoyable experience. Have had other motor homes and never experienced this. I was a long haul truck driver for many years so am not new to driving. We would appreciate any input. We cannot afford to get another motor home and are stuck with this one, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Make sure you have good front and rear sway bars and that the bolts are all tight and that the bushings are not worn out. Then look into doing the "Cheap Handling Fix".
Old 07-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out "cheap handling fix" in the Ford Chassis section
Jwgirardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just got finished reading about the quick fix. Can someone post a picture on this second set of bolt holes. On my swaybar on the front I see the second hole front the vertical bar attachement point but to move the bar back to the second hole the bar is going to have to grow a few inches. Thanks.

Tags
tiffin