Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #1

Front mudflaps

Our newly acquired MH has the mounting brackets for front mudflaps but have never been used. Any opinions on front mud flaps? Does it depend on off-pavement use?
Okiedoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have front mudflaps and I believe that they help keep the gravel, etc. on the highway from chipping the paint. Don't know for sure though...have never stood on the step while going down the highway. (chuckle)
Old 07-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
They are used to stop yourself from projecting rocks in front of you and then running into them as they bounce. Almost necessary on gravel roads.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #4

Call us at DuraFlap when you are ready to order a custom set of mud flaps for the front. We will cut them to your measurements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prevost front from rear.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	487.8 KB
ID:	45116  
DuraFlap Mud Flaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #5

Nina will correct me if I'm wrong, but the industry standard is; mud flaps must be at least 4" above the road surface to prevent them from kicking up debris.
I"m contemplating some design that will protect the sides of the coach from road oil and tar thrown by the tires. Something similar to the wheel well "fenders" on GM pickups several years ago.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #6

Hey Ray,

I do not know if it is an industry standard. Too often we see mud flaps hitting the ground, and other times we see them 10-14" off the ground not doing much good at all.
We do aim for 4-6" off the ground with the motor home fender wells.
We actually like to measure with the air out of the bags to make sue they stay at least 1" off the level ground when the coach is parked. This happens to put most of them around the 4-5" mark when they air them back up. If you are closer than 4" from the ground, you could be throwing rocks up with the mud flaps instead of stopping them.

As far as mud flaps working like flares outside the fender well, we have made some of those. We actually need the coach on hand to measure the cut out to get as precise as possible. These are only really needed if your tires are further out then the body of your coach.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #7

Nina they may not be needed for some folks if they only drive on concrete. My MH wheels are entirely within the wheel wells, and every time I run over hot asphalt/blacktop it gets on the side of the coach. I have to remove tar/blacktop spots off the coach after every hot weather trip. Of course it could be I'm just more picky about my RV's appearance.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #8

Hi Ray,

I can not imagine not having the right mud flaps in the wheel wells. I have never been on a trip where we did not encounter some road repair and have to drive thru gravel or fresh asphalt.
I don't think it is being too picky to want to avoid that mess.
Most coaches get the right coverage just by putting the mud flap right up against the outside edge of the coach, but some do require a custom cut to come up on the outside of the coach.

Happy Travels,
Nina