Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #1

Front Ride Rite airbags

Has anyone installed front Ride Rite airbags on class A motorhome? I have them on the rear of my F53 (20,500GVW) rig. Great product. Thinking of putting on front. Want to reduce road bumping, knocks, etc.
danbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They seemed to help a little with the poor ride on mine. Was an easy install, was still playing with the pressures when we found a Freightliner with air ride that we traded for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Job 012 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
Views:	385
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	12168  
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 2000 Ford F53. I recently installed both front and rear Ride-Rites and just completed a 3800 mile vacation in the motorhome with the new air bags.

Both the DW and I noticed a significant difference in the ride and road vibrations that you normally feel thru the steering wheel and seeing the dashboard vibrations.

I installed the front bags to dampen the vibrations on non perfect roads, and installed the rear bags mainly to get more tire clearance, but I think the rear bags help the ride also.

Front bags were easy to install. We think they were well worth the time and money.

I have about 20 lbs in the front and 70 in the back bags.

Hope this helps.
cpr_vbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr_vbg View Post
I have a 2000 Ford F53. I recently installed both front and rear Ride-Rites and just completed a 3800 mile vacation in the motorhome with the new air bags.

Both the DW and I noticed a significant difference in the ride and road vibrations that you normally feel thru the steering wheel and seeing the dashboard vibrations.

I installed the front bags to dampen the vibrations on non perfect roads, and installed the rear bags mainly to get more tire clearance, but I think the rear bags help the ride also.

Front bags were easy to install. We think they were well worth the time and money.

I have about 20 lbs in the front and 70 in the back bags.

Hope this helps.
How much more clearance did you get from the rear bags?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
The front airbags give the most bang for the buck. They really help with freeway hop and pavement cracks and changes.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
At 70 PSI it added about 3 to 3.5 inches of clearance at the rear wheel wells.

I also agree with ga traveler on helping with the pavement cracks.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr_vbg View Post
At 70 PSI it added about 3 to 3.5 inches of clearance at the rear wheel wells.

I also agree with ga traveler on helping with the pavement cracks.
3 to 3.5 is HUGE with the long overhang I have, this coupled with new shocks perhaps the Mor-ryde system may really help.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I didn't notice how much I needed the air bag assistance on the rear axle until I went to install the bags and noticed that from time to time the tires were rubbing the top of the wheel well. On our motorhome the fuel, propane, fresh water tanks are all way behind the rear axle. Before, when fully loaded leaving on a trip the back of the motorhome was really low, and the top of the rear tires were not visible. Not anymore. Much better ride hieght fully loaded with the ride-rite air bags.

The height difference at the back bumper will also depend on if front bags are installed and how much pressure is in the front bags. On our motorhome with the 3 in increase at the rear wheel well, there was almost a 5 inch increase at the rear bumper.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #9

Does anyone know if you can install these on a Class A without air bags? I have a Safari Panther with thier Torsalastic suspension (basically large rubber leaf springs) I would love to consider adding air to handle the horrible roads we have in California.

Thanks
pvrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrick View Post
Does anyone know if you can install these on a Class A without air bags? I have a Safari Panther with thier Torsalastic suspension (basically large rubber leaf springs) I would love to consider adding air to handle the horrible roads we have in California.

Thanks
That's what they are designed for primarily.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
The front airbags give the most bang for the buck. They really help with freeway hop and pavement cracks and changes.
Traveler you've been most helpful in the past. My Sightseer 2005 29R rides fine however I do notice the highway cracks and expansion joints. I have no trouble with sway etc. Would I greatly reduce the front end jarring with front bags. I don't think I need rear bags, I'm sure if I could improve the front ride it would reduce driver fatigue. Any thanks for your input.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have read my past posts, you know i am a big fan of airbags. They do not do a lot for potholes. I think that is why a few people are disappointed in them. They work great on expansion joints and cracks etc. I never had a customer complain to me about the ride after i installed them. (trust me, if you talk someone in Ga. into spending $600.00 and they don't see results, you will hear about it.) About 20% of my customers were so pleased they insisted on putting them on the rear. I feel they help in the rear, but i don't think you get as much bang for the buck.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:29 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Traveler, txs for the response...as always I respect your thoughts. I'll prob look into front airbags after our trip out West. Don't think anything will work on potholes...the expansion joints are the killers and from everything I've read this should improve the ride. I recently did a 5Star tune and it certainly lessened driver fatigue so this will be an added bonus. Safe traveling.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm 800 miles into a 3K mile trip since installing the front air bags ('97 F53) and I'm very pleased with the results. I have 22 lbs in them and think that's a good setting for my coach.

I also installed new Monroe Gas Shocks and a Steer Safe prior to this trip, but that's for another report.
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote