Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2017, 08:54 AM   #1

Angry Front slide trouble

I am new to rving. and a woman....that being said I have a 2006 Gulfstream Independence. Getting ready for a vacation. My front slide will not work (Worked last time) I have checked the batteries and electrical connections they are all good. I have currant at the battery on either sides of the solenoid. I have none at the switch. I have checked the hydraulic oil and added that but still nothing! The system is Power gear. The back slide works. When I move the back slide I do not hear the pump at the power gear equipment. The Jacks run off the power gear and they work. I have spent hours trying to reason through all this....HELP!
Deb
DDonavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Two things to check (and smarter folks will provide more):
- Check for breakers dedicated to the slides
- Start the engine, advance the RPM if possible - wait a few minutes and try the slide again
Old 03-06-2017, 09:49 AM   #3

Thanks Lv2Roam2. I have tried both of those ideas. All breakers are good, all fuses are good. Relay? Ground? But all seem to be tight and working
Old 03-06-2017, 09:52 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Make sure that your rig's emergency brake is activated, and you aren't in gear. Also--my RV won't activate the slide-outs unless my engine is running (saves the battery).
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #5

Thanks for the ideas Statgeek! I have both have the emergency brake on, not in gear and the engine running. I think I am about out of options?
Old 03-06-2017, 10:44 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDonavan View Post
I am new to rving. and a woman....that being said I have a 2006 Gulfstream Independence. Getting ready for a vacation. My front slide will not work (Worked last time) I have checked the batteries and electrical connections they are all good. I have currant at the battery on either sides of the solenoid. I have none at the switch. I have checked the hydraulic oil and added that but still nothing! The system is Power gear. The back slide works. When I move the back slide I do not hear the pump at the power gear equipment. The Jacks run off the power gear and they work. I have spent hours trying to reason through all this....HELP!
Deb
You say you have none at the switch. None of what? Voltage?
Which switch? It sounds to me like you have an interlock problem. This is where a switch must be closed on something else before it will allow the slide to move. It is a safety switch to prevent you from moving the slide while in motion or something like that.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #7

Thanks Billdreamlv! There is no voltage at the switch. The switch is for the front slide it is located on the wall. Interlock is an interesting idea...the interlocks that I know of are the one for the emergency brake and the ignition. I know of no other interlocks. If it were a interlock would the rear slide work...which it does? I have looked through the owners manual and can't find any others.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:35 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDonavan View Post
Thanks Billdreamlv! There is no voltage at the switch. The switch is for the front slide it is located on the wall. Interlock is an interesting idea...the interlocks that I know of are the one for the emergency brake and the ignition. I know of no other interlocks. If it were a interlock would the rear slide work...which it does? I have looked through the owners manual and can't find any others.
Now that I know that you don't have voltage to the switch we can back track this problem. One of the best tools I have used for problems such as this is the Fox and Hound. This is a tone generator that has two leads. You turn it on and clip the leads to the wire and ground. Then with the receiver you can literally chase the wire with sound until the wire stops transmitting the sound. That is where your break is. They are not cheap, and if you have a friend that knows something about electronics, odds are he has one.

This is the one I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-701K...tone+generator

Another way is to dig out the schematics and trace the wire electrically. I believe the 12v on the switch operates a relay for higher current draw to operate the slides. No voltage to the switch, no voltage to the relay, no voltage on the slide motor.

The voltage goes through the switch like a valve on a pipe. If you have no water on one side of the valve then you can't send water down the pipe to another valve. This is actually good news. But you are going to have to trace the wire to see where it goes. It is less likely a mechanical problem than maybe a loose wire or interlock switch that hasn't been completed. Let me know how it goes. And good luck.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:19 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
One more thing. Is there a certain position your drivers seat should be in for a lockout purpose. Do you have your seat pulled forward. I think there may be an interlock there on the seat.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:23 AM   #10

On our Monico there are interlocking switches on the basement doors that will keep the slides from operating if a door is not closed.
Just a thought
hshiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Gee Deb, I'm stumped here. You got a lot of people offering excellent ideas, and if you tried them all, I can't think of anything else that might be tripping you up.

Following on Danbet's idea of a "stuck" relay... If that's the problem, you may be able to solve it by completely shutting down all power to the chassis battery and the house battery, waiting a few minutes, then turning it all back on. Many RV manufacturers install these switches near the entry door to the RV, and also you may have a large red knob switch located near the battery bank. I'd turn them all off, wait a little while, then turn them back on again. If you have a stuck relay, that could (not always) reset it.

Otherwise, I wish you the best of luck, and I'll continue to subscribe to the thread if any weird ideas pop into my head. Let us know if you find the bug!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:02 PM   #12

I would go with billdreamlv and the seat switch. On our coach every time we move the set the wire seems to get stuck on something and disconnects. First time it happened we thought the slide wiring was bad.
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:20 AM   #13

Thank you all for your ideas! I have to work for a couple days before I can play with the RV, than I am going to look into all the ideas again. I will let you know what I find.

Deb
Old 03-10-2017, 06:25 PM   #14

Talking

I am so thankful for this forum, you all have helped me through my first problem! I took pieces of a lot of the posts. not sure which one worked but something did! I checked all the connections several times checked fuses, disconnected the battery, I had given up and thought my entire weekend was going on a wild goose chase! I took Baby (the RV) to get a new pair of shoes (6 tires) when I got home I thought I would try it again after driving a while and it worked. I did have to increase the RPM's to get it back in but it worked like a charm! The RV sat for about 2 months with just starting in a couple time not much driving more just an idle during that time, I think maybe the battery was not as charged as it had been last time I used the slides, even though the battery charge read ok. Making lemonade out of lemons I sure did learn a lot about my RV and met online a lot of nice people! Thanks to all of you again!
Deb

Tags
slide