RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #29

I had the same thing happen last Oct, traveling approx. 60 MPH, RT front blew out, I did not hit the brake, gradually came to a stop with no problems. My tires were Michelin Radials only 3 years old. (I've lost confidence in Michelin) Go on utube there is a video of a Motorhome towing a truck left front blew, it rolled and was totaled. Happen about a year ago near Baton Rouge La on I-10.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2017, 05:10 PM   #30

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I have searched the CDL driving manual and more then a few DOT sites, for some info that supports this " step on the gas " theory.

Can't find any.

Why do you think they don't mention or teach it ?
They do mention it and teach it in many places:

From Allstate Insurance Blog "To get an “A,” you must act counter-intuitively: Press the accelerator for a short instant after the blowout. Because of the drag of the failed tire, even a Ferrari in high gear will not gain speed. Pushing the accelerator does two things. First, it stabilizes the vehicle in your lane. Importantly, it locks up your mind and prevents you from turning or braking.."

From Popular Mechanics Same as above. In fact same author.

Howcast video channel:

From TireRack website: "If you experience a blowout, it doesn't make any difference if you are driving a sports car, sporty coupe or sport utility vehicle; the same procedures are appropriate. The driver should step on the accelerator for an instant to preserve vehicle momentum (or at least maintain constant accelerator pedal pressure), and offset the pulling caused by the blown tire by gently counter steering to keep the vehicle in its lane. Once the vehicle has stabilized, the driver can gently slow down and begin to carefully pull over to the side of the road."

About Autos website: "Keep your foot on the gas, steer in the direction of the skid and “drive through” the blowout. If necessary, give it even a bit more gas to overcome the initial drag that is pulling you to one side. You need the wheels to keep rolling to keep control of the car."

Defensive Driving.com: "First and foremost, DON’T BRAKE! Just as when entering a skid, this will cause your wheels to lock-up and will result in a total loss of control. Instead, accelerate slightly and try to keep steering the car as straight as possible; this slight acceleration will keep your car from “jumping”Ě into the next lane."

Safe Bee from Underwriters Lab. suggests: "Don't brake. Breaking may cause you to skid and lose control, warns the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. While you're trying to regain control of the car, maintain your speed if you can, says safercar.gov." I'd infer that maintaining speed means pressure on the accelerator.

There are many other websites with this information, some (like Edmunds and Allstate) site the same author. Every set of instructions say don't panic, don't apply brakes, let vehicle slow down naturally from drag of the blown tire. I really don't care if you apply accelerator or not, the amount of power you'll gain, especially in high gear in an RV is negligible, but it does keep your foot off the brake pedal and gives time to gather your thoughts. In addition, applying power to the drive wheels helps stabilize the vehicle so you can guide it off the road.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote