Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2017, 04:46 PM   #1

Front tire blow out

My wife is definetly a keeper. She maintained control after tapping brake and steering against the pull of the tire and brought the RV to a safe stop on I-95 near Daytona. Good Sam had someone there in no time and we were back on the road in 1 hour and 1/2. We had planned to replace the front tires this spring but the process was sped up just a little. One other safety tip: we never exceed 60 miles an hour as chances of a serious accident is increased. We also have a dash cam just in case. Happy and safe travels. We also had TPS tire pressure monitor system but no alarm until after the fact. And we did check tires before leaving SC.
Dan and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2017, 04:58 PM   #2

That is my biggest worry traveling. I run about 62 and keep both hands on the wheel.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:01 PM   #3

How about a little more information?
How old were the tires?
What manufacture?
Old 01-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #4

Glad to hear she got it under control. Don't know your particular situation but almost every professional driver will tell you that the first thing you should do is speed up until you are going stright and then slowely bring the coach to a stop. It is easy to say but really hard to remember to do because your first instinct is to use the brakes. In your case she did a great job it sounds like.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #5

Tires were 7 years old and always kept covered.
Goodyear.
Hole blew on inside about the size of a golf ball. Repair person said it probably had a bubble come up on the tire.
Also said the driver's front tire looks fine.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:11 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm glad you and your wife did O.K. on the sudden loss of air in the tire, HOWEVER, her action was NOT the best solution to the problem.

It seems counterintuitive, but you're supposed to step of the accelerator, not the brake. The video explains why.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew48 View Post
Glad to hear she got it under control. Don't know your particular situation but almost every professional driver will tell you that the first thing you should do is speed up until you are going stright and then slowely bring the coach to a stop. It is easy to say but really hard to remember to do because your first instinct is to use the brakes. In your case she did a great job it sounds like.
Thank you! We were on a straight stretch on I95 so that made it a little easier, and she didn't panic and came to a slow stop. The sound was so loud I jumped straight up off the couch from a nap. Sounded awful! It could have been much worse.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:16 PM   #8

She said she tapped the brake to get the cruise off. All I know is that is worked.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #9

The goal for acceleration is to stabilize the vehicle. Since we do not exceed 60 mph stability is almost always maintained. On this particular blowout, the vehicle was stable enough to allow it to slow down naturally. Since this was a blowout and not a thread separation the potential for disaster was greatly reduced. The main thing is most cases is not acceleration but to insure that the steering wheel is not jerked. She did an outstanding job.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:27 PM   #10

I'm glad that it ended as a good day.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:58 PM   #11

Front tire Blow out

We live about 20 miles from Daytona Beach and drive on I-95, but have to say, speed limit is 70 and everyone is doing 80 or 85 on I-95 unless in bad road construction. It is like taking life in own hands on I-95 when in a motorhome, most down here drive crazy, lot`s of illegals down here on roads, that`s why insurance is high here in Florida.
rockettour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #12

I am so glad everyone is ok! One never knows how one is going to react until they are in the moment, doing it! It sounds like your wife did an awesome job. Were you buckled in on the couch or just a projectile-to-be?
Old 01-07-2017, 07:18 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Ann View Post
The goal for acceleration is to stabilize the vehicle. Since we do not exceed 60 mph stability is almost always maintained. On this particular blowout, the vehicle was stable enough to allow it to slow down naturally. Since this was a blowout and not a thread separation the potential for disaster was greatly reduced. The main thing is most cases is not acceleration but to insure that the steering wheel is not jerked. She did an outstanding job.
When that happened to me years ago I used neither the brake or the accelerator. Instead just I just coasted to a stop. Applying the brake could've caused the vehicle to pull hard to one side.

I'm glad your both ok!
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:25 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'm glad you and your wife did O.K. on the sudden loss of air in the tire, HOWEVER, her action was NOT the best solution to the problem.

It seems counterintuitive, but you're supposed to step of the accelerator, not the brake. The video explains why.
Obviously her actions were the best solution. She tapped the brake to get the cruise off and got control of the wheel and slowed down to a safe spot.
If she had rammed the accelerator to the floor when she eventually let up the cruise would still be on along with more speed to deal with.

The video can be of use in some situations but all situations are not the same.