Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile Front tire blowout, glad to be alive, thanks Tyron!

A week ago a one in a million accident happened to me. First of all I spent the extra money at the time of purchase for a flat tire protection system called, Tyron. I was reluctant to do it and almost backed out. I truly believe it protected my Wife and three grandchildren last week. Most people will tell you that a blowout with the tires that are made today is highly unlikely.

Here is what happened to me:
I was doing the speed limit (55) on a two lane highway with a small sholder then a sudden drainage dropoff about three feet. I think 3 feet would be enough to tip an out of control motor home on its side. There were road workers on the right and a long line of trafic cones. As we came to the end of the cones and the road work, the car in front of us, turned in too soon and hit a cone. In a matter of seconds the cone spun away from him and looped back into the front tire as it spun. The one in a million; the cone hit the tire pressure monitor and broke off the valve stem. The air released from the tire quickly and the tire blew between the sidewall and tread. Fear set in instantly but, I was able to drive to the side of the road and maneuver in the gravel area while decreasing speed safely. The only reason that I knew it was a blowout was the vibration, smell and noise. If I would have veered more than three feet right I would have hit the drainage ditch. The Tyron unit kept the sidewalls erect and saved us. Needless to say I have ordered a replacement and will gladly pay for it. Damage was minimized to the tire monitor and tire.
JimO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #2

I have these on my newly purchased used coach. I need new tires next year. Do you know if they are reusable?
JerryKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lightbulb Reusable

Yes they are reusable. I had to replace mine because the gravel caused the end to twist and the yellow plastic spacers also were abused from the gravel driving. If you have questions the manufacturer is pretty helpful. He thought I would be able to reuse it until I sent the photo of it.

Tyron USA
Old 08-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Tyron

Where did you buy your Tyon?

Are they expensive?

I tried to get a dealer list from their website but it would not come up.

Thanks.

Becker
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
had them installed on the coach when we bought it two years ago, IIRC it was around $900-probably over paid for it but made that up on other parts of the deal...
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:14 AM   #6

They are costly but worth it, for sure. I have moved mine from a 11 Phaeton to the 12 Revolution.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
flat tire protection system called, Tyron
What is this, never heard of it before,,,a monitoring system?
Glad to hear you were able to keep things under control and get it off the road safely.
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #8

Confused

Wow! I am glad that you are safe.
I am a little confused about what happened. I have used a similar "run-flat" insert for many years. It will support the rim if the tire has limited or no air. How much time and distance elapsed between the cone strike and the tire coming apart? When the cone knocked the monitor off of the valve stem, why didn't the system alert you of loss of pressure or the monitor no longer transmitting or in range?
Thanks.
freebirdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The TPMS, does not alarm when the unit is removed, because people complained of nuisance alarms when they did not have the toad, or the toad was sent ahead for a site etc. The TPMS after about an hour will show No Signal. What they found out is if their are alarms like that people quit paying attention when the real thing happens. We had just turned on the generator, and I thought the smell was the wind blowing exhaust back at us and the vibration was the generator throttling because the house AC was cycling. It was about 95 deg. Unfortunately with all the mitigation issues and the Tyron holding the tire up we did not know we had a flat. I looked at the TPMS and it showed the last pressure recorded which was OK. TPMS=Tire Pressure Monitor System, Tire Minder Brand
Old 08-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
By the way the Tyron web site is Tyron USA

I am not sure why they don't show the dealers any more. Probably some sales issue.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #11

flat tire

Ok, So the tire monitor never gave an indication of a loss of pressure, when it went from tire psi to ambient air pressure? How long did you drive on it flat?
Old 08-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #12

My experience has been that when a tire looses air pressure and is riding on the insert, the ride becomes extremely rough. Is that what you meant be the vibration?
Old 08-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When the tread separated from the sidewall it was very apparent it was a tire issue. The time was about a minute or less. I asume the tire monitor transmitter was ejected like a bullet because the stem was sheered off like it was hit very sharply. The stem was metal. The Tyron device did not have much abuse and in fact was twisted a little at the place where it is tightened. I think the rough ride in the last few seconds was the side wall. I am not sure but the tire guy they sent out had never seen one before and he held the Tyron out with a big tire iron to get his air drill to remove the bolt. He may have twisted the end. The rest of the unit was OK except the plastic spacers would have needed to be replaced.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #14

TPM

Thank you Jim. Was the tire pressure monitor internal to the tire, or one of the external types? Is your composite ring yellow? With big holes in it?