Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Front vs Rear Stabilizer

My brother-in-law has a 04 Brave on a workhorse. He is debating on front or rear stabilizer. Or does he need one? He had a 94 Adventerer than had a front one and is not sure if he need one on this unit. He had not taken a trip over 100 miles with today and we are going from St. Louis to Utah in late May and wants to know before finding out the hard way.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #2

That depends on how much you feel the MH roll when you go into corners or curves beacuse that is where the stabilizers realy come into play. They also help some with crosswinds or when the #$%%$# big trucks sneak up alongside you when you are taking a nap with one eye at a time. If it didn't come with one from the factory then they must feel fairly confindent on how it is set up stock so it will not be dangerous how it is right now on the road. There is no doubt that adding stabilizers to a MH that does not have one will improve the handling. Stabilzers also change the feel when you go into corners as far as oversteer on understeer.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:06 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Stabilzers also change the feel when you go into corners as far as oversteer on understeer.
Stabilizer (anti-roll) bars will increase the roll resistance of the vehicle. In terms of handling, it certainly does matter (as Mike says) where the roll resistance is increased. Adding a front bar (or a larger front bar to a vehicle that already has one) will promote understeer, while doing the same to the rear will promote oversteer. Therefore, if a coach has no stabilizer bars, adding an appropriate amount of roll resistance to both ends will reduce the tendency to roll while maintaining handling balance.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:22 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL-R36 View Post
My brother-in-law has a 04 Brave on a workhorse. He is debating on front or rear stabilizer. Or does he need one? He had a 94 Adventerer than had a front one and is not sure if he need one on this unit. He had not taken a trip over 100 miles with today and we are going from St. Louis to Utah in late May and wants to know before finding out the hard way.
consider a track bar such as ultra track on the rear also.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:03 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL-R36 View Post
My brother-in-law has a 04 Brave on a workhorse. He is debating on front or rear stabilizer. Or does he need one?
SRL-R36, Many times the word stabilizer is used to describe several different components of a suspension.

What we need to know is what is the motorhome doing that needs resolution. Is it yawing, pitching or rolling? Each of these vectors can be addresses by a specific component.

In a yaw situation or tail wagging the dog, we are looking to install track or panhard bars.

In a pitch situation or porpoise the best devices to address this issue are shock absorbers.

In the case of a roll or side to side wobble the best device to resolve this would be anti-sway bars.

A good approach would be to apply a limited effort and address as many issues as possible with the least cost. If I were trying to improve the stability of a 2004 motorhome, I would be looking at a new set of shock absorbers and most likely a rear track bar.

Have your friend call Mike Bronzini at Brazels RV Performance Center and he will review the issues and suggest solutions. Brazels provides the UltraTrack line of products and they will also have a number of 3rd party solutions as well. Identify the exact problem, seek a solution.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an '05 Workhorse, I was told by assorted experts that a rear trac-bar would give me the most benefit.. Alas, much to my surprise when delivered the unit turned out to be a front trac-bar

Amazing difference

When I build up some cash Reserves I'm going to pay a call on Mike Bronzini at Brazel's and have a rear bar bolted on. But it appears that will take a while as I have bills to catch up on , Repairs to the towed, and then I can worry about the Trac Bar
Old 03-23-2009, 06:06 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks to all for the replies.

I am passing the information on and will what he decides. DriVer's note about shocks was timely since Motorhome mag. had an article on shocks in it, so I passed that along as well.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:46 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
You may want to check out the write ups on my Free Tech Tips site on this subject.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:01 AM   #9

Stan, I just read that article on MH shock absorber comparison. Great test and write up. I have the Bilsteins on my MH now and I was going to swap them for the Koni shocks to see what the difference is. Glad I didn't. I am going to stick with the Bilsteins.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:51 AM   #10

We had a 1996 Georgie Boy Cruise Master, 34" on the Ford F53 chassis found the most economical & effective solution to wind was a product called Rollgard by Amtech in Las Vegas, NV. 888-880-8949, ask for Sheli or Mary try promotion code rolling331.
geo91740 is offline   Reply With Quote