Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2016, 07:39 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Many non-slide Hi end coaches such as Newell and Prevost had side entry doors back in the day. Not so with today's 3 or 4 slides models. Frt entry door with the auto floor step cover are better use areas for PS seat occupant. Especially with slide back computer draw.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
2 Doors for me!

Not sure why people seem to think a front door is good? We love the side door on our '08 38J Adventurer, and it has a driver's door! Great for a quick hop out to gas up, do the dump thing, or just say hi to a park operator. We have 2 slides up front, and also a bedroom slide, so lots of floor space. One of the best parts of having the mid door, is that the fridge is right there when I need a coldy! I don't have to hike the whole way to front and back to kitchen to get something, then do it again to mix a G&T for MDW! We spend as much time outside as possible, and that means cooking, so the kitchen is right handy also. I see so many DP's that pull in, level, hook up and then never see anyone outside until it's pull-out time! Get some fresh air and enjoy the place!!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:52 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Our gasser was a mid entry, we liked it just fine. But there was no definition of space. You walked in facing the table the kitchen/living room was to the left.Our new DP with the front entry makes for so much more usable space. We love our front living floor plan. My wife just made the comment this past weekend while we are out. She really likes the fact that we have "separation" in the coach. We have a living room, then our kitchen and our bedroom.
I don't get the hermits either. We may pull up in a big, fancy diesel pusher, but our goal is to be outside as much as possible.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
I really like the fold out workstation with usb/12v/120v power on my gasser. In fact I am typing on it going down the road right now in nowhere Kansas. Even when parked I usually don't swing the front seat around and leave it forward because it like a little den/office.

The front entry diesels don't seem to have good solution for that, I have seen a few with a tiny fold out table of the co-pilot.

I also like the mid door for awning position over it, rather than a second tiny awing over the front door that many time sticks out over the front cap, yuck. Also the overhead bunk as was mentioned.

Every time I look at diesel I wish more did mid entry, it's either a low end Palazzo/Excursion or ultra high end Newell.

Guess I would get used to it but the mid entry seem like more logical use of space if you have the workstation area.
I pretty much agree with everything you said.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:36 PM   #19

Well as a lot of know and have been reading that we bought our MH about 5 - 6 wks. ago and we immediately started tackling all the things that needed tending to + the things that we wanted to upgrade and still working on those things as we speak. I can't imagine bringing all those things through a front door entry. On a side note, I'm 6'3", 195lbs.....If I was a bigger this would be a real hassle I'd think. Also, I've read several posts about owners upgrading things like their refrig. to a residential frig., which with a front door, you have have to pull the passenger seat & power electrics etc. IMHO with all the things some have listed here, we agree & love the mid door entry on ours for many reasons. Mainly, it's covered by the main awning and it's so naturaL to enter into the kitchen/main living area. Our 2 cents.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #20

They both have Pro's and Con's. One Pro to a mid entry I don't believe I've seen mentioned in this thread, is the better visibility out the passenger side window.

My DW quite often misses great scenery out the passenger side, due to the screen door, and less window space. (I've learned to not say 'WOW! Did you see that!!!).

And many front entry doors, have wind noise associated to them. No doubt mid entry do too, but not as noticeable from the cockpit when running down the road!

We looked real close at the Alpines with mid entry, when we were considering 36' coaches.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:44 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Both have plus and minus I'm sure. It's what you are happy with that will work the best for you. Personally, I spent 2 years looking for a good deal on a 38J Winnebago. As far as I am concerned, it has the best of both worlds- lots of living room space(had 9 adults in it the other night for a movie) . It also has side and drivers doors. It would be nice to have diesel power, but I'm retired and never in a big hurry to get anywhere. Life is too short to rush around and miss the sites as we travel. Also, I always tell the people that brag about the fuel milage they get with the diesels, "If you have to worry about fuel cost, you can't afford it!!"
We also spend a lot of time outside, so if it's raining, we are under the awning with the door right under cover and a dry area to kick off the shoes.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
My 2006 Safari Cheetah 40PMT dp has the mid entry door and it was a desired, almost required, option for us. When one comes in the door, one never has to walk the full length of the coach, everything is half a coach away at most. And most trips are to the kitchen, and most specifically the fridge, and that is right inside the door. The door is under the main awning. The wife's spot is not in the way of the door so she can leave all her important knitting and wifey magazines right where she is when we stop. We can't imagine a front door being preferable.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great Floorplan TonyMac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
My 2006 Safari Cheetah 40PMT dp has the mid entry door and it was a desired, almost required, option for us. When one comes in the door, one never has to walk the full length of the coach, everything is half a coach away at most. And most trips are to the kitchen, and most specifically the fridge, and that is right inside the door. The door is under the main awning. The wife's spot is not in the way of the door so she can leave all her important knitting and wifey magazines right where she is when we stop. We can't imagine a front door being preferable.
Have to agree with you, that looks like a great floorplan, much the same as our '08 38J Adventurer! Love the fridge and kitchen location! Why do so many have the kitchen on pass side? Ends up with more windows on driver side. Why, when if you go to an RV park, the table and fire pit, etc. is always on pass side, so if you are inside getting meals ready or whatever, most windows are looking towards the neighbours on driver side!
Old 11-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I think a side door would really mess up the living area! I can't imagine our coach with a side door! Either the couch or the reclining loveseat would have to go!

Also, many, as ours, have slide-outs on both sides that would not be possible with a side door!
MSHappyCampers
When using our coach we spend the majority of our time outdoors.
We prefer a side entry because the both the galley and the bathroom accessible without traipsing through the living room.

BTW we have a couch and a swivel/rocker/recliner in that carpeted living room, (but no reclining loveseat).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #25

I think it's all in what you get used to. We never gave the front door a thought. It seemed like a natural entrance. We thought it was great for fueling at the diesel pumps.... we didn't have to walk through the living room with diesel on our shoes or the driver didn't have the need to take the shoes off to walk through.

Groceries? We just set the bags on the passenger seat and when all were in then we came in to unload them. We always take our shoes off while in the RV anyway so there was no issue with walking through the living room.

You do give up some room with a side entrance... another chair and end table would fit in the space.

You also give up some patio space with a side entrance. With the front entrance you have the whole patio space to use without keeping an area open for the door traffic.

The front entrance easily worked for us.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:49 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We have a mid door on our 08 Discovery, and I love it. It took me 2 years to find the used model I wanted. The front entry door just seemed to be a pain getting out for quick stops with the DW sitting there. I also didn't care for the floor that slides out for the DW feet. As far as space goes I have plenty of room and the Mid entry just seems more handy for us.
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
AND, with the mid entry, the copilot seat is more forward giving a better view out the big front glass, and the side window is much larger, the same size as the pilot's side window. There is no door frame and door pillar to look around. Ours has a slide to cover the steps while enroute.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #28

After owning a mid-entry door, I would be very hard pressed to move to a front entry unit. While there are reasons, good and bad, for both, each has it's own benefits.

I believe the mid entry door provides more 'home like' atmosphere to the floor plan since you don't have to come in and around the passenger seat, which can seem to get in the way.
Also, a front drop-down bunk option would be hard to come by with front entry, though Thor has it as an option now on their Venetian and Aria line.

With our mid-entry door, we can latch the door against the coach, and keep it out of the way if we just want the screen door closed. We also don't have to have an additional door awning since it is under the main awning.

As mentioned, the front door entry provides more usable room within the floor plan, but the mid-entry provides the ability for a workstation in front of the passenger seat, rather than having to fit it in somewhere else. Maybe it's an even trade.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door