Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2021, 03:24 PM   #43

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
I was juggling gas or DP when we got tired of all the 'chucking' with our beautiful 5th wheel. Many told us it is very hard to get a good diesel mechanic who will work on MHs and you can get the Ford V10 serviced at any Ford dealer. Well, not quite. We found a great shop for both diesel and gas and NO Ford dealer in our area will touch the MH V10. First was an alignment then two new Michelin front tires. New house battery. Both large slide outs are in getting new slide toppers. The LED lights under the awning are also being replaced. The control module for the steps went out. And so on, and so on. And this is a 2018 model Precept. Wish we had the 5th wheel back but too late. We will just enjoy what we have. Happy camping.
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2021, 03:27 PM   #44

I'll admit, I've struggled to find the "sweet spot" with motorized units. With new ones, you spend the first year or more fixing up all the things that were not done right at the factory! My Tiffin had the shortest punch list, but there were still things, including one bad slide controller and one bad jack valve, along with a number of small things. But with a used one any more than 3 years old, it seems like there is a long list of 'maintenance' items that wear out - batteries, tires, shocks, fixtures, lights, rubber belts & seals.

A 2008 is now almost 14 years old! It seems like yesterday, but that's a LONG time to be out on the road. The beauty of the big diesels is that mileage seems to almost not matter. But age? That's a while different story on both the house and the chassis.
Old 10-07-2021, 04:10 PM   #45

My to do list was 54 items long ranging from minor trim items to some major items like full body repaint. Before we left last month I had completed 43 items leaving only the most expensive except tires for later. A person would have to be nuts to own an RV and not expect plenty of maintenance items. We love our Class A gas motorhome and Full time lifestyle.
Old 10-07-2021, 04:11 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blularry View Post
My wife and I are full timers. We are traveling and never stay more than 2 or 3 weeks at one campground. 6 months ago we went from a fifth wheel to an 08 Winnebago Vectra 40TD. We knew we would have to do some upgrading and put some money into it. But come on man! New tires, new shocks, new oil pan, new slide toppers, slide lock needs replacing, leaking ( it's not the drain, the rubber boot is torn and the lock doesn't come up), HWH control board had to be replaced. Repaired ceiling liner that was coming apart. It seems to be always something.
I know the benefits of having a DP but I can get a gasser that's only two or three years old for what I have in this Vectra. I've read all the posts about the ride and noise of a gasser and I know that any class a is going to have issues. I also am aware of the many post regarding the Diesel/Gas debate. I guess I'm just venting but looking for support from the full timers with gas coaches.

2008 Winnebago Vectra 40TD
2008 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Im new to DPs. 7 months in, full time. We purchased an 07 Hoiday Rambler. 40k miles/$88,000. Researched RVs for 2 yrs. Wanted to purchase a "Mercedes" quality on a "VW" budget.
The "quality" of the build/product was the key for us. Besides maintenance work and new tires we have had 0 problems. When I talk to other RVrs all the complaints I hear about build quality, things coming loose etc. We sure are glad we bought a High Quality unit.
Winibegos, we stayed away from.
DLB JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:52 PM   #47

I havent read thru all the replies but have to wonder...
Not many of the items mentioned are unique to DPs so a gasser of similar age in similar condition would need tires, shocks, slide blag blah etc. If you aren't capable of assessing condition of a MH hire someone that is or buy new (and deal w mfg issues under warranty) your choice. This wasn't a re V ent model year and stuff neglected needs attention. Did the PO provide maint records that reflected TLC or nothing?
Was this a dealer or private sale of a used / maybe abused MH.
Not fun to learn lessons the hard way but hopefully others can benefit.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:32 PM   #48

If you are paying that kind of money you better find a different repair shop. That's way over priced
JHowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:33 PM   #49

All have issues

We bought a great looking 5th wheel and before taking on a test run locally, my sister died so from NV we went to San Antonio. Wow! Water pump didn't work, shower leaked, a/c went out in Houston, front jacks started going out so we had to leave 5th wheel attached until we got home. I feel like there was more. Not an Rv but I bought a 2016 Subaru Forester PZEV with 75k miles from a friend who did his own maint. Turns out he never changed tranny fluid $260, front & rear differentials $240, brake fluid $160, and when I picked it up, the dealer asked if spark plugs were done. Nope, now gotta do them for $260. Yikes! No matter what, bad crap happens. Since you fixed so much already, might as well enjoy it. I would love a DP but small one. We bought 5 yrs ago an '03 Diesel Chevy runs great but we had to put in new fuel injectors, get new tires, fix misc fans, etc. Would lose too much$$ if sold now so will keep using it, too. 🤑 Enjoy your travels!!
Nanster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:03 PM   #50

A naive buyer can pay a big price, even though he thought he got a great deal.
"Oh but the cabinetry looks wonderful" but not a peek underneath or a professional inspection done.

What a lot of us do NOT understand, and I was one of them, is that you can park a car in your driveway for 5 years, uncovered, and a good wash job and a few minor checks it should be good to go.

Leave most if not All RV's in your driveway, for 5 years, you will be shocked at water intrusion, mold, mildew, rot, rust, leaking wheel and drive train seals.

Lesson: RV's are not made to any standard of longevity except for the drivetrain. And some are better made than others. Most have minimal rust proofing and were built by cheap uneducated labor.

JMO
Boomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:16 PM   #51

When did you ever buy something 13-14 yrs old that didn*t need more than just a cleaning. Now I sincerely hope for your sake that that*s all for now......but it would be my guess you haven*t seen nothing yet. Maybe it would have been better to get on here before you purchased not after. Safe travels to you and yours
BOSTONBERNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:20 PM   #52

Happy to listen… one other point you didn’t mention however is the towing power and the ability to handle the mountains with ease… hang in there! It’ll be beautiful when you’re done
Mle75749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:44 PM   #53

Gas, diesel or tent?

Quote:
My wife and I are full timers. We are traveling and never stay more than 2 or 3 weeks at one campground. 6 months ago we went from a fifth wheel to an 08 Winnebago.

2008 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Well you are not going to like my rely post. Wife and I finally made the decision to go from tents/vans/popups etc to a well used very mature neglected class A Ford F53 chassic. I surveyed the repairs required to make it safe and drivable, add to that the things to make the coach liveable. When added together, is it a deal or no and is it a gamble - yes it is. Never looked back, never regretted purchased. We came out about 50% of our original estimate.

A careless distracted (cellphone) driver T-boned us doing minor damage, but lack of skilled fiberglass workers forced the insurance company to total the motorhome.

Again I repeated my original purchase, this time a 1999 Fleetwood Pace Arrow on Chevrolet Workhorse chassic. It was in much better condition, but had been in storage for ten years. It was to be our last RV. It was all we needed and fun. No need to change.

Then my brother-in-law tells me about a 40' DP for sale near. We go look, the only down side or negative is it has two slides (always a maintenance nightmare), but wife wants it. I sell the Pace Arrow for exactly what the guy wants for the 2000 diesel.

NO REGRETS, stop thinking about "what if" and start living "what is".

Not only is it my opinion, it is my actual experience.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:26 PM   #54

What was the SLA on the inspection? Most items in your list aside from perhaps the control board should have been caught by the inspection. A 2008 coach is already 13 years old going on 14 so slide toppers, awnings, rubber parts, seals, fabrics along with any other items subject to wear from exposure to sunlight will be suspect. If the shock absorbers and airbags were marginal and near their failure point that should have been noted in the inspection too.

If the inspection was that inaccurate you may need to review the contract with the inspector since is doesn't appear they did their job very well.

Was the oil pan physically damaged and if so if you didn't do it driving over some debris or over an obstacle then how did the inspector miss that?
Old 10-07-2021, 08:30 PM   #55

It's really not that expensive of a hobby if you take the time and patience to educate yourself. Twenty one years on the road inexpensively.
buntina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:12 PM   #56

Gas, diesel or tent?

Quote:
My wife and I are full timers. We are traveling and never stay more than 2 or 3 weeks at one campground. 6 months ago we went from a fifth wheel to an 08 Winnebago Vectra 40TD. We knew we would have to do some upgrading and put some money into it. But come on man! New tires, new shocks, new oil pan, new slide toppers, slide lock needs replacing, leaking ( it's not the drain, the rubber boot is torn and the lock doesn't come up), HWH control board had to be replaced. Repaired ceiling liner that was coming apart. It seems to be always something.
I know the benefits of having a DP but I can get a gasser that's only two or three years old for what I have in this Vectra. I've read all the posts about the ride and noise of a gasser and I know that any class a is going to have issues. I also am aware of the many post regarding the Diesel/Gas debate. I guess I'm just venting but looking for support from the full timers with gas coaches.

2008 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Well you are not going to like my rely post. Wife and I finally made the decision to go from tents/vans/popups etc to a well used very mature neglected class A Ford F53 chassic. I surveyed the repairs required to make it safe and drivable, add to that the things to make the coach liveable. When added together, is it a deal or no and is it a gamble - yes it is. Never looked back, never regretted purchased. We came out about 50% of our original estimate.

A careless distracted (cellphone) driver T-boned us doing minor damage, but lack of skilled fiberglass workers forced the insurance company to total the motorhome.

Again I repeated my original purchase, this time a 1999 Fleetwood Pace Arrow on Chevrolet Workhorse chassic. It was in much better condition, but had been in storage for ten years. It was to be our last RV. It was all we needed and fun. No need to change.

Then my brother-in-law tells me about a 40' DP for sale. We go look, the only down side or negative is it has two slides (always a maintenance nightmare), but wife wants it. I sell the Pace Arrow for exactly what the guy wants for the 2000 diesel.

NO REGRETS, stop thinking about "what if" and start living "what is".

Not only is it my opinion, it is my actual experience.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust