Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2021, 10:59 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryancasey View Post
Where is Speedco?
You will find Speedco shops at some Love's truck stops. I've heard some won't work on motorhomes but our local Speedco did. I would recommend supplying your own filters because they may not have them. They got me in and out in a day.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #72
JVH

Send a message via ICQ to JVH Send a message via AIM to JVH Send a message via Yahoo to JVH Send a message via Skype™ to JVH
Hmm.
I bought my 1995 American Eagle from the original owner in 2006 with 100k miles on it.
In the first year I repaired or replaced:
Fuel shutoff solenoid.
Genset v-belt.
Dash A/C compressor and converted to 134a freon.
Warped and leaking exhaust manifold.
Stand alone built in ice maker.

Total costs about $7000.00

Year 2 was house batteries.

Year 3 was all six tires.

Year 4 the fridge went bad.

The joy I got from using it with friends and family: Priceless!

FYI: It is still going strong at 170k miles.

Here are pictures from Aug 2021 in Eureka Springs, AR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210806_194315.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	520.2 KB
ID:	345465   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210806_194339.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	561.5 KB
ID:	345466  

JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:58 AM   #73

I'm on my 4th Class A now and except for the 2nd one which was 6 years old when I bought it the rest have been 10+ years old and my current one is 23 years old. I can honestly say up until now they haven't cost me much at all in repairs and 2 of the first three were gassers pulling a 24' enclosed trailer through the rockies so I would say they were hard miles. Now I have a DP and only pull my Jeep or a small trailer with my side by side on it, go figure. lol
My biggest costs have been tires, next to that brakes. I do a lot of my own maintenance and try to anticipate what might cause me issues in the future so that I can either fix it now or be ready for it when does break. I have had things break on the road but so far have been able to fix it myself.
All of them nickel and dime me but so does everything else I own or have owned in one way or another. Lots of the time I'm the reason for the nickel and dimes since I add things I don't really need or change things that probably didn't need to be changed anytime soon, just the way I am and my time is free.
The previous owner spent a fair bit on repairs not long before I bought the DP so as long as my engine or trans doesn't blow up I can deal with the rest weather I fix it or take it to a shop. If the engine bites the bullet in the next year or two I will still fix it because I know that the chances of any other major repair will be unlikely and I should have a solid m/h for as long as I will be needing it.
If I was getting a fair size repair bill almost every time I used it I think I would get frustrated too and start wondering if this was for me. I hope things turn around for the OP and you can start enjoying your travels without worrying about the big repair bills.
Old 10-08-2021, 04:18 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenB View Post
I must say this purchase is the same as a condo or mountain cabin! Stuff has to be cared for updated and replaced. For some reason people think a RV should never need anything… I remember a guy answered my question one time of what is the cost to keep this thing on the road…he said if you have to know you can’t afford it!!!
Yes, mountain cabin. Bought a 40 year old one for $160,000. The inspector's list was 43 pages. We knew the water heater was original. We replaced the stove, fridge/freezer, dishwasher, modified the foyer to install W/D, repaired several exterior rotten places, replaced sagging floor upstairs, reinforced decks, had it repainted inside and out (paid others to do that because ceilings were 18' high and the house was perched on a precipice.) We enjoyed doing or getting things done - and the final product. Put about $35,000 into it, including selling costs. Sold after two years for $225,000.

Real estate is an appreciating asset.

If we put the same money into $160,000 MH, we would be lucky if we got any more money than we paid for it after two years. At 75 years of age (me, not the MH) if/when I buy one it will be my forever home so I will enjoy what I fix or upgrade without concern for resale and depreciation.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 04:42 PM   #75

Forest River Owners Club
Just getting ready to purchase a MH. You folks are scaring the bageebeeies out of me.
Gildabarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 04:53 PM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildabarker View Post
Just getting ready to purchase a MH. You folks are scaring the bageebeeies out of me.

Any time you buy something it needs maintenance and repairs. Or we could sit in the home and watch the world go by - safe in the knowledge that we didn’t take the opportunity to do something we wanted to do.

6 saddest words in the English language:

Should’ve
Could’ve
Would’ve
Old 10-08-2021, 06:01 PM   #77

Location: Mostly traveling. Several months spent on the Oregon Coast.
Repairs

The first strike against you is buying an old Winnebago. The second strike is buying any 13 year old RV, especially a Winnebago which in my experience has a very short “shelf life”.
Clint11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint11 View Post
The first strike against you is buying an old Winnebago. The second strike is buying any 13 year old RV, especially a Winnebago which in my experience has a very short “shelf life”.
I see a lot more older Winnies on the road than Tiffin, Newmar, Fleetwood.
Let’s see, the oldest Entegra is how old?
I must add, older Fleetwoods are in a close Second place.

Many 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s era Winnies are going strong, with the best part department of any manufacturer by far.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:00 PM   #79

We found a 2005 ALPINE 36' FDDS(Front Door Double Slide), found it January 2 2020, have put about $7000 into it since, Inverter, Fridge, etc, since its a 2005 no DEF, 400 HP Cummins, 1200 FLBS torque, look at the Alpine brand, great owner support, they went out of business in 2008 like a lot of others

Rod
Old 10-09-2021, 05:37 AM   #80

Budget for repairs...

With any older unit budgeting for repairs is part of the plan. Our 06 Wanderlodge, purchased in 10/19, had only 2 pervious owners. The last one spent north of 70K in upgrades and repairs prior to our purchase. In the two years we have had it we have spent about 2500 in minor repairs and major upgrades, etc. In a couple of years the front tires will need replacing. 265's are only Michelin's. The 6 rears are good to go until 2025. The 10-4D agm batteries are good for another 4 years. This is our plan going forward. This is not counting on repairs that might be needed or chassis maintenance.

They call it a lifestyle for a reason. It's a rolling house that is far more complicated than a house. Electronics, computer controls, obsoleted parts, finding competent folk to work on it, doing repairs and maintenance yourself, etc. Right now we are in it for the long haul or at least until health deems it necessary to give up.

Good luck going forward. Lots of good folk on here that are willing to help.
Prof_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:27 AM   #81

13 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint11 View Post
Your right 13 years olds.

That's way to new, still has to many of the original bugs from the manufacturer, I would wait until 15 - 18 years.

Its my opinion as I drive my 2000 model quality built motorhome. When I grow weary of the interior - gut it and start over.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:46 AM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
For those of you who don’t remember, or didn’t experience it - 13 year olds require a lot. There’s the occasional high pitched whining sounds, sudden slams, constant upkeep to the latest fashion, and occasional irritating behavior. Good news is with a little preventative care and a plan, the 13 year old after a few years of maturity settles down and begins to operate properly with just a little help here and there.

We are talking RVs, right?
Old 10-09-2021, 08:59 AM   #83

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Raising Teenagers

Hilarious! Our 2008 RV and teenage children do have a lot in common now that I think about it.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:50 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildabarker View Post
I know the feeling!!! We were scared of the horror stories as well. In our case, so far, so good. We purchased a 1999 Fleetwood Discovery DP a year ago. No inspection other than my own. It needed tires which were $2180. Everything works with the exception of the leveling jacks. They work, but the PO disabled them due to an alarm he could not figure out. I'm not going to worry about them. Aside from the tires, the only big ticket items were replacing all the batteries for around $700 and a new toilet for $210. Yes, there are little things to attend to all the time and it really pays to be handy. We took a 600 mile 4 night shakedown trip, then a 1,500 mile week-long vacation. I had never driven anything but a class C years ago and it took about 300 miles to get totally comfortable driving the DP. It runs and drives exceptionally well, especially for a 21 year old coach. And it gets just over 10 mpg with the Cummins 5.9 and Allison 6 speed.

We do fear the catastrophic repair and if it happens, we'll reevaluate it. But for now it's everything we had hoped for and more.

Tags
rust