Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2015, 10:07 AM   #1

Frustration with manuals

I will try not to be to negative, but....
Took a four day trip over a long weekend. After a 1 week effort to figure out how to add an outdoor TV and having to call Tiffin to figure out where the video switchers are, (Rick is the shinning light, but had to guess where the video stuff was), took off on the journey.

Everything was great until I started breaking it down to leave.
FWD RH slide would not retract. Looked underneath, all looked ok. Broke out the owners manual, said circuit breakers/fuses were under hood. NOT!!!!! circuit breakers/fuses under refrig (BTW, every fuse holder filled, little location chart said about 7 were "not used").
Nothing blown. Also, I had been in the wiring diagram book, before and knew better than to waste my time there. All basic schematics for everything from the smallest coach to the Phaeton, useless!
Owners manual also said DO NOT run the engine to operate slides, make sure the battery is charged. Yea, right. One battery to move 4 slides and then hope to start the coach. Former owner told me to make sure the engine is running to operate the slides and levelers.
figured since I heard a click when I pushed extend, and nothing when I hit retract, and the slide switches were in the panel I had to remove to find the video routers, maybe I knocked a wire off. Pulled the panel down, and a wire had come out of the spade connector, never crimped!!!
Long and the short, Owners manual is terrible all the way around, and the wiring manual is terrible.
Absolutely no wiring or what button to push to make it do ... information other than the component users manuals for any option installed at the factory. No Home theater/King Dome/HDTV beyond one TV wire routing or anything.
Coach is well made, but really!!
The down side for those of you who take these in for the service, it is a by gosh and by golly tribal knowledge effort I am sure resulting in higher man hour charge for service to hunt and peck through the problem.

Ready to go again, smarter and more well prepared for the road.
Note, my bad, lost a safety pin for the TOAD hitch, had to scratch around to come up with a safety, going to Tractor supply to buy an assortment of pins and stuff.

Milton
2009 (on 2008 chassis) 35QBA
Steeler34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2015, 10:33 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My Safari slides and jacks won't move unless the ignition is in the off position. Jacks will squawk like a Dumbocrat at a Benghazi hearing if the key is placed to the run or start position and the jacks are not full up.

And the coach, while well designed, was assembled by orangatans. Lots of simple things done incredibly wrong (2.5" screw where a 1/2" screw would have worked), tons of wires running to open connectors (some hot, some not), alot of "what the hell is that" questions when you look inside some of the compartments. You just need some time, and booze, and a website like the one you're on now to figure all this mess out, especially if you want to work on this money pit yourself.

Best of luck...
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Every coach is different. With my coach the engine MUST BE running to level it and to extend or retract all 3 slides and to raise the levelers.

Jerry
Old 10-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Manuals are like documentation in the a computer program...

Its SAYS the program does this and that, but usually the description is outdated, incorrect, and misleading, so manuals and code remarks are the last resort

but since they are, I always download the soft copies to my tablet or phone so I can have it with me when I want to spend time reading !
Old 10-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As another poster stated, you are much better off getting the individual manuals from each system manufacturer.

You should have HWH levelers. You do not have you coach into in your signature, that is a big help to us.

My Phaeton has a hydraulic slide on the PS (kitchen). Electric slides for other three slides. HWH uses the same pump for the slides AND levelers.
So it is important to know if your levelers work correctly (this rules out the pump and most electrical).

Yes, these things are complicated, and if your anal (I am), you will find a lot of assembly techniques that could have been better.

Regards,

Dan
Old 10-12-2015, 11:46 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our rig came with a huge box of manuals and pretty detailed wiring diagrams, but it still took me days to find the correct one and it looked like a third generation copy. The diagram showed what was in each box, but not where the box was actually located in the rig. I had a burned out fuse for the passenger map light. There was a control box right beside the passenger seat, behind the magazine rack. Naturally the fuse wasn't there! It was in the closet at the very back of the rig, some 40' away!!
But I sure know a lot more about the rig after going over the diagrams!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #7

I have the "box full of manuals" but what I do not have is how they all tie together and where they tie together at.

for instance, the rig came from the factory with the King Dome installed. Could not identify where for sure the coax was to connect the Direct TV box. it had the little "satellite/Tripod" switch in the LH over driver compartment, but really no idea where the coax went when it left the switch. had a pig tail of a coax hanging in the RH AV locker (above the aforementioned slide switch area) and a real finished out coax wall outlet. Only after going on the roof and having wife ground the two coaxes did I discover the pigtail was the Satellite wire, BUT it was the "AUX" receiver out from the King Dome. I still have no clue where the primary coax connection is for the Dome.
I did figure out the wall mount coax is the cable connection for the hookup in the rear locker where the water is.
AHHHHH!
Milton
Steeler34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:47 PM   #8

This forum will be your best source of information. I have given up on the manuals, mostly. The different systems manufacturers are usually not much help. You will just have to learn about your coach like the rest of us.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, rust