Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2015, 08:20 PM   #1

fuel algae

I have algae clogging up my filters on a cummins isc 350. any suggestions on solving the problem
dogbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bio Clean

Amazon different cleaners

All are made to kill the algae

Buy several filters to take with you until tank gets cleaned out

Also many stations have now been sell a blend of Bio up to 20% and that will clean you tank of a lot of junk.
So it may not all be algae you are getting in the filters.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:42 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
http://www.amazon.com/Hammonds-Biobo.../dp/B0014434DG

Highly recommended
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:35 AM   #4

Here is what I use.

I am also replacing the small Racor filter

with a

JumboJet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:36 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Many times, this is caused by water in the fuel tank. The fuel pick up is often not at the bottom of the tank, so it can be really hard to remove the water. If the fuel tank has a drain on it, see if you get any water out. You could snake a tube through the filler port and try to get to the bottom.

By the way, it is bacteria, not algae. The snake oils will kill the bacteria, but do little with the sludge and probably not much with the remaining water. There are fuel tank cleaning services around. I used one for my boat that was seriously infected. I was amazed at what came out of the tank. These places will use filters that allow you to reuse much of the fuel in the tank. I had no further fuel issues after cleaining.

+1 on carrying buku filters.
tbbg II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:44 AM   #6

I found this web site interesting as it explains what diesel algae is.

Critical Fuel technology is a distributor for Algae-x products. Call us if your fuel tanks are clogged!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Biobor JF is a good product, but too late if you already have algae. Use it to kill off the live stuff, but you still have the clogged filter(s). Buy at least 2-3 more filters and plan on changing every few hundred miles as they filter out the crud. For severe cases, you may have to have the tank dropped and cleaned. If you have a lot of fuel, it may be worthwhile to have it "polished", which means running it through an external filtering machine and pumped back into the tank. If not so much fuel, just discard it (in an Eco-friendly manner, of course).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #8

All good advice above. Biobor will kill it but carry lots of filters for a while. Also StarTron enzyme treatment will help dissolve what you kill with the Biobor. You can get it at West Marine or any boat place that deals with diesel boats. It's not cheap but it works. Boaters have much more trouble with water and bacteria in their tanks than we do and they swear by it. Good luck, this too will pass.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 08-22-2015, 05:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on the BioBor & Startron enzyme treatment. The Biobor will kill the algae but it will still be in the tank. The Startron will break it down.

I had Algae soon after I bought the coach. When I changed the fuel filters it had almost completely clogged the top of the primary. I started to used the Biobor and eventually got rid of the algae, used the shock treatment to start with and then a maintenance dosage on a regular basis.

I then made a habit of always making sure the tank was full if it was going to be parked for more then 1 month, this helps reduce condensation. I recently started using startron in combination with biobor when the rig will be parked for extended periods.

Your only option now are
  1. Continue changing the fuel filters in combination with biobor until you get rid of algae
  2. Drain all the fuel out of the tank and try to clean, start with new fuel + biobor
  3. Fuel polishing, plus biobor in the future.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel