Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2022, 10:33 AM   #1

Fuel cards for Diesel

Hello, we recently bought a 43' Newmar Ventana, we love everything but filling it up, whoo, $300 is a lot to spend on diesel.
I've seen various fuel purchasing programs, but I can't find any good information comparing them. The Love's card seems reasonable, but is that the best? Anyone have experience with different programs?
One issue I have is the programs I've looked into all link to a checking account, which isn't great. Are there programs that link to a credit card instead?
Greg in Arizona.
GreginAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2022, 10:37 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
First off, Welcome to IRV2!

In the Powered by Google search box above, just type in TSD and you'll have a full day's worth of reading on the TSD fuel card comparing it to others.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:53 AM   #3

What ^^^^^^^ said. $.40 to $.70 per gallon discount at select stations.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:03 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
^^^^^ Try State Delivery TSD. there are several as you noted that sound the same but aren't. I have saved using them but be aware the 40 cents up cents off are off inflated truck stop prices. Many times there could be cheaper or equal places using a cents off fuel card etc . Its only one tool several in the wallet. Fuel stops should be planned in advance with research esp with a big rig.
I prefer truckstops for easy access high speed pump truck lanes ( being a past Trucker I'm in my comfort zone) and using the TSD card I get some equalization on prices vs the mom and pop's .Increasingly I fear this isn't a cheap way to travel.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:49 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We got the "TSD Logistics / Open Roads" fuel card for the convenience. I can pay at the pump, take as much as I need and save the multiple trips inside.
If I get a discount, great. At out of network stations it actually costs couple dollars in fees but I don't care. I don't chase the cheapest fuel / best discounts unless it happens to be close to when I need to fill up.

We opened up a separate bank account just for fuel. There are differing opinions on that but makes wife feel better. To open another account is actually easy to do, just call your bank.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:00 PM   #6

I also use the TSD fuel card. Have had it since it started. last trip used 274 gallon of diesel, subtotal was $991.00 cost was $857.00. saved $134.00.

I prefer to use TA, PETRO and loves. With the Open Roads app it allows you to see what you would pay. I prefer the truck lanes at 65 feet long.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:14 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I had both TSD & Loves & used them both often, depending on which fuel stop. Good discounts.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:52 AM   #8

to GREGINAZ: it looks like you are in arizona. are you aware of the AZ diesel fuel tax rebate for rv's? it depends on whether you fuel at a commercial or non-commercial diesel pump. if you fuel at a commercial pump the AZ state tax is higher. since the rv is a non-commercial vehicle you can go inside and have the attendant give you an $.08/gal tax rebate.

there is a silver ADOT sticker on each diesel pump that shows the tax rate for that pump and how to obtain the non-commercial tax rebate, if applicable. this has nothing to do with how you pay for the fuel (credit card, cash, fleet card). it is used to refund the excess state tax you paid when fueling at a commercial pump.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
to GREGINAZ: it looks like you are in arizona. are you aware of the AZ diesel fuel tax rebate for rv's? it depends on whether you fuel at a commercial or non-commercial diesel pump. if you fuel at a commercial pump the AZ state tax is higher. since the rv is a non-commercial vehicle you can go inside and have the attendant give you an $.08/gal tax rebate.

there is a silver ADOT sticker on each diesel pump that shows the tax rate for that pump and how to obtain the non-commercial tax rebate, if applicable. this has nothing to do with how you pay for the fuel (credit card, cash, fleet card). it is used to refund the excess state tax you paid when fueling at a commercial pump.
I used to go in and get the discount. It required two trips in. One to leave your CC with the cashier who turns the pump on and a return to sign the slip. Has anyone tried using their TSD card to do this? Getting the tax refund plus the cash discount with the card??
Old 01-15-2022, 03:44 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreginAZ View Post
Hello, we recently bought a 43' Newmar Ventana, we love everything but filling it up, whoo, $300 is a lot to spend on diesel.
I've seen various fuel purchasing programs, but I can't find any good information comparing them. The Love's card seems reasonable, but is that the best? Anyone have experience with different programs?
One issue I have is the programs I've looked into all link to a checking account, which isn't great. Are there programs that link to a credit card instead?
Greg in Arizona.
One answer for that is to open another checking account just for that purpose and link the card to it. That way you only have to keep just enough cash in it to cover the fuel.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I used to go in and get the discount. It required two trips in. One to leave your CC with the cashier who turns the pump on and a return to sign the slip. Has anyone tried using their TSD card to do this? Getting the tax refund plus the cash discount with the card??

yes we have used the TSD card at the pump. and then gone in after to get the tax rebate. since we fuel at the large truck lanes we start the pump with the TSD card and fuel. then we pull forward, get out, and go in, just like many of the big rigs. we use the same process at truck stops that do not take the TSD card, like Maverick, except in this case since we are using a regular credit card we have to go in first to activate the pump.

we normally go in to use the restrooms and get a drink or snack so the trip in to get the rebate isn't an additional task.

to be honest most truck stops in arizona are aware of the tax rebate but i have found a couple that refused to honor it. but that has been the exception and i let ADOT know about their noncompliance with state law. according to an ADOT follow up call the station received a call from DOT reminding them of their need to comply.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:14 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
We have use the TSD card for over 3 years now and are very happy with it. Just last week we saved $40 a gal on a 75 gal fill up. The savings add up quickly.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:23 AM   #13

TSD EFS card (now Open Roads). Pull up to pump, swipe card, pump, drive away. I plan my fuel stops using the App and most times within minutes I see my purchase and discount on the App.

https://myopenroads.com/
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
yes we have used the TSD card at the pump. and then gone in after to get the tax rebate. since we fuel at the large truck lanes we start the pump with the TSD card and fuel. then we pull forward, get out, and go in, just like many of the big rigs. we use the same process at truck stops that do not take the TSD card, like Maverick, except in this case since we are using a regular credit card we have to go in first to activate the pump.

we normally go in to use the restrooms and get a drink or snack so the trip in to get the rebate isn't an additional task.

to be honest most truck stops in arizona are aware of the tax rebate but i have found a couple that refused to honor it. but that has been the exception and i let ADOT know about their noncompliance with state law. according to an ADOT follow up call the station received a call from DOT reminding them of their need to comply.
Do you get a printout at the pump before you go in or just tell the cashier what pump you were on? Do they refund in cash or credit your TSD card? Thanks

Tags
diesel, fuel