Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #1

Fuel Cost and Mileage

I have a 1990 Pace Arrow 34' its gas has a 90 gallon tank if I was planing a trip 800 miles how do I fiqure my milage and how much My coach is using per mile? Also is diesel better on milage than gas and can I go farther on diesel? I never have been able to fiqure how many miles I get to the gallon in my highlander? So if anyone can show me the chart on how to do it please help Thanks.
grits58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #2

hi I too have a 1990 pace arrow 34' 454 and had the same? on what kind of milage she gets any how just glad to see another arrow on here ..cheers
swat455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fill up your gas tank and record the odometer reading. Drive until the next fill-up. Record the odometer reading and the number of gallons that you take on. Subtract the first odometer reading from the current odometer reading to get the number of miles you drove. Divide the number of miles driven by the number of gallons bought and you have the miles per gallon.

Your Pace Arrow will probably get around 6 - 7 mpg. Some diesel rigs will get around 10 - 11 mpg but most will get about 7 - 8 mpg. Diesel runs from $0.40 to $0.80 per gallon more than gasoline so that offsets much or the increased mileage that you can get. I would not buy a new rig just to get better mileage if you are happy with your current rig. You would be spending a bunch more money to save a bit more money. Consider this: 800 miles with a gas rig at 6 mpg and gas at $3.50 per gallon is $466 while the same mileage in a diesel at 8 mpg and diesel at $4.00 per gallon is $466. I don't think you need to worry about a difference of $66 for the entire trip.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

To calculate MPG, you need to fill your tank and make a note of the mileage on the odometer. On the next fillup, make a note of how many gallons it takes to refill, then again note the mileage on the odometer. Calculate the total miles driven between fillups. Divide the total miles driven by the number of gallons required to refill.

That said, typical mileage for a gasser is between 6 - 8 MPG. Generally speaking, some diesels do get better mileage than gassers...but not always.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #5

The method I use is to fill the tank each time, if at all possible. I'd say I fill it 95% of the time. Record mileage (mileage 1). Next fill...and this can be at 3/4 tank, 1/2 tank, whatever, record the gallons used (gallons 1) and the mileage (mileage 2).

Then the formula is (mileage 2 - mileage 1)/(gallons 1). This is your AVERAGE usage. This one snapshot only applies to that route, wind speed, average travel speed, temp and humidity for that run.

The next fill up, same recordings. Over time you'll build up an average mileage for your rig over varying terrain and weather conditions. Over thousands of miles, you'll get your average mileage.

My RV, over 58,000 miles, averages 10MPG. You gasser will probably average 8.5MPG.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #6

We just did a trip down to Country Coach in Junction City to have some work done 2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft with a 400 Cat running 60-62mph on I-5 when I got back filled up and I use Pacific Pride so I fill my own rig and I got 7.85mpg about 1 mile less than my 06 Ford pulling my Alpenlite. Hope after it gets a few more miles on it the mpg will come up some it only has 17k on it now.Start with a full tank write down your miles then when you fill up write down the miles then the difference in the two divide the gallons into it that is your mpg.2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grits58 View Post
I have a 1990 Pace Arrow 34' its gas has a 90 gallon tank if I was planing a trip 800 miles how do I fiqure my milage and how much My coach is using per mile? Also is diesel better on milage than gas and can I go farther on diesel? I never have been able to fiqure how many miles I get to the gallon in my highlander? So if anyone can show me the chart on how to do it please help Thanks.
Look at it this way. Mileage is Miles Per Gallon or MPG. Per means divided by. Therfore, MPG = Miles divided by Gallons. Easy peasy. Some advice. Get a copy of a good Office type program. MS Office or equivalent. You can get a beginners manual fore office to get you started.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Also is diesel better on milage than gas and can I go farther on diesel?
In VERY simple terms, an engine does not burn "gallons" but rather burns pounds of fuel.
A gallon of diesel weighs 7.15 lbs, a gallon of regular gas weighs 6 to 6.3 lbs per gallon... All things being equal, you get more miles per gallon from diesel
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Also is diesel better on milage than gas and can I go farther on diesel?
If you have a gas engine, no you can't!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You'll want to do the math above more than once to get a true feel for your coach's MPG. Terrain comes into play as well as lots of units do much better in Florida where it's flat as opposed to the Appalachians where it's not. Diesel normally gets better MPG, but often times the cost of diesel fuel can offset that. MPG is only one factor in the list of reasons people choose diesel engines over gas models. #1 for me is longevity as diesel motors are designed in a way to travel many more miles in their lifetime than the average gas equivalant.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #11

Having a rig and a toad, my basic mass is set, and my only fuel mileage regulator is my right foot.
Once I found the sweet spot, I quit checking mileage, as it simply will be what it will be.
I enjoy the journey.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
In VERY simple terms, an engine does not burn "gallons" but rather burns pounds of fuel.
A gallon of diesel weighs 7.15 lbs, a gallon of regular gas weighs 6 to 6.3 lbs per gallon... All things being equal, you get more miles per gallon from diesel
Miller, you are correct and i may add that diesel fuel has 113% more energy than gasoline..... 1 gallon of diesel has 128,000 btu and 1 gallon of gasoline has 116,000 btu (btu= heat)
btw biodiesel has 119,550 btu which means less mpg than straight #2 diesel..

peter d
elainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #13

We bought a 2002 fleetwood revolution and very good condition. It is a 40c with the cummins 330 ISO upgraded to 350 with a allison 6 speed. Loaded with a dollied 2008 Honda Accord to Little Rock Ar and back to Tulsa running 65 we got 10.2 MPG. Very happy with the power and ride of the diesel. Wife and myself and 5 ankle biters we had a great trip. There has been some small leaks here and there and getting to scrape and reseal roof with Enterlbond tape and dicor the spring. Have found leaking around the front and rear marker lights and seam at end caps.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #14

With my little 5.9L Cummins 300 hp, I regularly get between 10.5 and 12+ mpg depending on terrain and weather. I NEVER exceed 60 mph, when you are pushing a brick down the highway every mile per hour above 58 reduces your MPG by I believe a 10th of a gallon.
One of the math guys can chime in on that, I may not have it accurate, could be even more. Wind resistance is a big enemy of your fuel tank.
Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel