Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 11:58 AM   #1

Fuel filters after 1 year and 8000 miles

I have a fuel pressure gauge right at the inlet to my injection pump VP44. At idle i have my raptor lift pump set at 20 psig. With fresh filters and engine pulling grades pressure drops to around 16psi.

After a year the pressure was dropping to 12psi under load. Even tho this is still ok, i decided to change and inspect the old filters.

The 10 micron filter is the cardboard colored filter thats only dirty near the bottom. The 2 micron filter On the motor just before the injection pump is the other one with the hole cut in it.

The 2 micron filter was the culprit, the outer media supposed to be white was working its way to black.
I cleaned a portion of it to make sure and laid it next to a dirty piece that can be seen in pic.

So my takeaway is the 2 micron will need service possibly twice as often as the 10 But i may just change both yearly unless i get a bad batch of fuel.

And i pressurized my fuel tank with air thru the vent hose to force fuel and bleed all air out thru a hose fitting I connect to the downstream side of the 2 micron filter. I cycled the lift pump probably 50 times first and never got it to pickup fuel.

Next time im thinking ill just fill each new filter with ATF from a new bottle that should be easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1F819C21-2419-47A4-A81F-A682B12D3D4F.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	391.3 KB
ID:	260121  
Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #2

Automatic Transmission Fluid/ATF, or motor oil are NOT designed to be burned in an engine, in fact it is formulated to withstand high temperatures; then there is the issue of unknown additives which may damage the pump and/or injector seals.

Simply carry a bottle of diesel fuel for this purpose.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #3

Ok thanks Ray i know a fella who ran atf and even used motor oil in his truck mixed with fuel but I didn’t know it would cause damage.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Guess I’m confused??? Cycling the key 50 times is 25 minutes...lift pump runs aprox 30 seconds assuming you leave the key on that long?
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #5

I would check the engine fuel system specs.

Are you sure you need a 5 micron filter ?

Also, change one filter at a time and run the engine in between to get the air out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_C View Post
I have a fuel pressure gauge right at the inlet to my injection pump VP44. At idle i have my raptor lift pump set at 20 psig. With fresh filters and engine pulling grades pressure drops to around 16psi.

After a year the pressure was dropping to 12psi under load. Even tho this is still ok, i decided to change and inspect the old filters.

The 10 micron filter is the cardboard colored filter thats only dirty near the bottom. The 2 micron filter On the motor just before the injection pump is the other one with the hole cut in it.

The 2 micron filter was the culprit, the outer media supposed to be white was working its way to black.
I cleaned a portion of it to make sure and laid it next to a dirty piece that can be seen in pic.

So my takeaway is the 2 micron will need service possibly twice as often as the 10 But i may just change both yearly unless i get a bad batch of fuel.

And i pressurized my fuel tank with air thru the vent hose to force fuel and bleed all air out thru a hose fitting I connect to the downstream side of the 2 micron filter. I cycled the lift pump probably 50 times first and never got it to pickup fuel.

Next time im thinking ill just fill each new filter with ATF from a new bottle that should be easier.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:18 PM   #6

Mixed 200to 400 to one is different from filling a filter. Many truckers swear aft would clean certain injectors and such on some years of motors at one time or another.
I'd stick to formulated cleaners at specified dilution.
Fill filters with deisal follow directions for post filter change starting.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Guess I’m confused??? Cycling the key 50 times is 25 minutes...lift pump runs aprox 30 seconds assuming you leave the key on that long?
My pump only runs for a few seconds with key on unless ecm senses engine crank then it runs longer (30 sec i think) and if engine runs pump stays on.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I would check the engine fuel system specs.

Are you sure you need a 5 micron filter ?

Also, change one filter at a time and run the engine in between to get the air out.
Ill check again but im almost certain the manual calls for 10 micron/ 2 micron filter setup.

And even with fully purging the system, she took a bit to fire, and i changed them 1 at a time a few days apart. normally 2 seconds and shes running took about a minute and i was starting to have flashbacks of purging injectors which is a real pain.

My concern is pour filling the 2 micron filter without getting any contaminants as what gets poured in goes straight to the injection pump. Thanks for all the replies!
Old 09-14-2019, 05:46 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
A lot of bad info in this thread.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:51 AM   #10

I have all of the filters changed once a year by the same trusted shop. Usually it's the same tech that services it. In six years and 64,000 miles no issues with fuel or oil. I've been buying fuel from FJ most of the time, but will be switching to Loves with the TSD discount. It's just my opinion, but have always felt that the high volume truck stops should have the freshest, cleanest fuel.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
A lot of bad info in this thread.
Kindly let us know what your referring to so we all can learn. Thank you.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_C View Post
Kindly let us know what your referring to so we all can learn. Thank you.
Fair enough although it’s been a while since I’ve worked on the VP44 system ...sounds like you have been proactive on protecting your injection pump with a Raptor pump and pressure gauge. Yes, not enough fuel pressure is harmful to the VP44 injection pump but it’s in the less than 5 psi range. The EVM should de rate the engine if it’s not getting enough pressure. Cummins wants the 2 micron first and the 10 second. It’s hard to suck fuel through a 10 micron (lift pump between the filters).

Just because a filter has a little black on some of it does not mean it needs changing. Guess it gets down to are you a change every year person (regardless) or based on miles. Not going to hurt changing annually other than your wallet. Granted I have a % power readout so I only change my fuel filters when I cannot maintain 100% power (while on a trip) starting with the 2 micron first because it’s easier on my rig. Would have been easier last week if I had not forgotten my strap filter wrench...had to go 15 miles and buy a $8 one. I usually get 30,000 miles out of fuel filters buying at the cheapest places only. Love GasBuddy, not Love’s or FlyJ.

Usually the lift pump will run 5-6 seconds when turning the key on and closer to 30 seconds if you just bump the start position. 2 minutes of lift pump operation (4 bumps of start) should fill a dry filter, especially if you moved the lift pump closer to the tank.

Tags
fuel