Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #57

I am only at 1420 rpm at 62 mph on my Detroit motor. An update on my MPG. I drove from Atlanta to Tampa and back at 60-62 mph with following winds and no hills other than overpasses in Florida. Whole trip average was 6.9 MPG and that was pulling the Jeep Wrangler. It sure makes a difference not having headwinds or hills/mountains.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2011, 05:01 AM   #58

The last few posts illustrate intelligent, honest and accurate mileage reports; but more importantly they show why diesel must be the choice for really any motorhome; there is a direct correlation to low fuel consumption (relatively speaking) and low engine revs.
Each of the recent posts show a rate of consumption on par to what I know most C gassers are acheiving while doing at least three times the amount of work.

Mr.D, no chip on my shoulder at all, I stated that I like the A coach and that I like the A people we have met, heck I even like the A people we haven't met and I have even said that I like rich people because rich people give people like me, jobs. I cannot afford a speeding ticket nor can I afford to drive at any speed higher than one which gets us the most gas mileage.

People in big rigs generally have attitudes to match, MOST people in an A coach can afford to be in these magnificent rolling homes and as such speeding tickets are not a concern, and good for them on this account also.

This bugs you and my intent was not to upset.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #59

I see where your going with that Rough Road but my experience is a little different here in the midwest. I run into mostly older couples that drive very slow in many cases and are a real treat to meet at the pumps, campgrounds or what ever.
I certainly can't really afford my class A but since I love it and use it so much I find a way to make it happen. I have seen the more caustic folks out there but they are there in any facet of the world and not limited to class A motorhomes... I get your point though.

Regarding the lower RPM, well I guess that is a shot at getting better MPG from Monaco. The upshifting early thing is annoying though, I wish it upshifted a little later for better acceleration onto the highway.

Also, my comments earlier about MPG need further input. I am a tightwad when it comes to fuel so I really try to plan things for best MPG/arrival time I can. I try not to run the Aqua hot on burner unless I have to and running the generator is when needed only, not a 24-7 thing like other dry camper folks do. That Gen really cuts into the MPG cause it is just too big IMO. Ive only put about 1400 hours on it in 4 years with almost all dry camping...
Windecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
People in big rigs generally have attitudes to match, MOST people in an A coach can afford to be in these magnificent rolling homes and as such speeding tickets are not a concern, and good for them on this account also.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #60

Tiffin Owners Club
Slightly off topic, from the already off topic...
I drive the snot out of my MBE926 motor. I'm the guy you're talking about driving fast. My coach runs up and down 'Parley's Canyon' two round trips every time I take it out. You can't really call that pedal on the right an 'accelerator.' I guess 'throttle' works.

I take the RV to go race cars and karts with my son every other weekend, and tow a trailer. Vacations see a Jeep toad back there. It will hum along at 75 pretty easily...yes, for me it's a race, but I know the limits of the coach. The highest RPM is with engine braking, not cruising down the road. Running synthetics in all the right places, change hub oil, diff, lots of filters.

To and from a race track, 7.3mpg, most of that is caused by the long uphill from Salt Lake. Family trips 8.3mpg, even better if we head north instead of south. Fuel mileage is very trip and driver dependent, sometimes caffine and time of day dependent. I'm not retired, I'm in a hurry, a hurry to get somewhere to do 'nothing.' Where nothing is camping, hiking, racing, meeting people, drinking, swimming, taking photos, shopping, cooking, or fixing something. On another forum, there are guys getting nearly 10mpg in the MBE motor (more torque than the c7) if they do that 62 mph thing. There are sections of road in Utah with 80mph speed limits. I don't feel like driving that speed with my hazard lights on...it's bad enough having to do it uphill.

Ditto what someone said about getting an earlier engine without DEF, you have to figure that expense in if the cost is a concern. For me, it's the ability to burn Mexican diesel...not everyone has ULSD.
FineProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #61

Anybody here ever get a speeding ticket in an RV? I've thought about that, but will anybody admit it? I figure, if you can afford a diesel, you can afford a Radar detector.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #62

Diesel MPG

10 year, 98 k miles clocked on our pre-owned, 125k (new to us @27k), '96 35 ft Safari Sahara, 250 hp Cat towing 3,000 lb Saturn.
8.5 overall average!
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #63

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Only go diesel and only go with a pre emmissions diesel '07 and earlier with no exhaust treatment; but good luck in finding one;we rushed to look at a Barth with a Cummins-we were number six and it sold to the first couple who looked at it for full asking price.

Used diesel A's/super C's seem to be selling at a premium, at least in our area.
I agree on the geting a older unit. let others take that big value drop.
I really like my 94 cummins powered Ford.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #64

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Anybody here ever get a speeding ticket in an RV? I've thought about that, but will anybody admit it? I figure, if you can afford a diesel, you can afford a Radar detector.
No one that I know of. But I stay out of California. I would think it would be most likely to happen there if it's going to happen.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
A good friend was driving a Class C up the Oregon coast in a CruiseAmerica. First time driving a motorhome. Yep. Busted while passing traffic.
FineProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #66

windecker, it I could con some lender I would get something now, smaller than yours but with some hp so I could stay ahead of the repo guy-hope you get to enjoy yours for a million more miles...
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #67

I have two friends that have. One lives in Chicago and got busted for 85 in Texas. He said the Cop was NOT amused (and I understand). Another buddy lives in Memphis and got hit in Texas for 73 in a 70, once again the Cop was not amused. Said the Cop said "what don't you understand about the word Limit" LOL.
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Old 12-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #68

Thanks! I am younger than most with a Class A DP, (46) but use the heck out of it and appreciate it very much
Windecker

Quote:
windecker, it I could con some lender I would get something now, smaller than yours but with some hp so I could stay ahead of the repo guy-hope you get to enjoy yours for a million more miles...
Old 12-11-2011, 04:04 PM   #69

MPG?

Preparation, driving location, and driving style all contribute to fuel usage.
10.4 mpg from our 8.3c DP for 2011.
Reasonable driving in clear calm conditions to driving into a tropical storm.
Mountains to the shore and everything in between..

I am considering upgrading the injectors if it would improve our fuel efficiency, anyone tried some of the injector rebuild services that claim large percentage improvements in power and mileage?
thanks
freebirdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #70

Like to hear more on the fuel mileage on the maxxforce in the Serrano
KLR John is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel