Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #29

Just improvise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
In most NY gas stations and a few other places, including marine fueling docks, there is no latch. You must hold the nozzle and the lever. Try that for 500 gallons.
I have found that on pump nozzles with no latch, the gas cap fits under the handle and works marvelously!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #30
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"TonyDi"....Not a bad idea about the crocs. They're easy to slip on and would be easy to clean later on.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:15 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Interesting topic. I was at a Sams Club station just last week. A older Southwind rolled in to fuel. He carried a pole door stop (the type that goes from the floor to the door knob). He used it to hold the nozzle in the tank. Necessity the mother of invention.
norcal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"TonyDi"....Not a bad idea about the crocs. They're easy to slip on and would be easy to clean later on.
Yeah, but someone might see you wearing them!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:37 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
On my 96 Monaco, my problem is not getting the fuel into the tank, Semi Truck, type tank, 100 gal., big opening, But, keeping the nozzle in the tank, the door opening, does not allow the the nozzle to go into the tank neck far enough, so, it won't catch on the spring, if the nozzle has one!
My fix was drill a hole inside the door opening lip, stick a small bungee in the hole, squeeze the bungee closed, so it hangs there all the time inside the door, and when filling, pull it out, wrap it around the nozzle handle, and attach it to it self!
One other thing, my door opening is not attached to the tank neck at all, it is just a hole in the side of the coach, that you stick your hand into, to get to the cap on the tank neck! And the nozzle handle is too big to fit through the door opening! If it had a rectangle shaped door opening, i would be golden, but nooooooooooo!!

I was looking at your rig's door, why couldn't you take a bungee, and stick the nozzle in the neck, and wrap the bungee around the door and the handle, making them tight together, wouldn't that work? Just a thought?

Rail!
Old 06-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #34

Guardrail53, I don't thing my little plastic fuel door is very sturdy but I think I will experiment with your bungee trick!
Old 06-12-2017, 09:09 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonVBT View Post
Guardrail53, I don't thing my little plastic fuel door is very sturdy but I think I will experiment with your bungee trick!
Yeah, i thought about that too, and i would keep the bungee as close to the hinge as possible. Rail!
Old 06-12-2017, 10:19 PM   #36

My dw holds the fuel dispenser if I need to wash windshield. Don't trust either the upside down method or falling out.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #37

Talking

AWOL50, If I could bungee your DW to my fuel door....I think that would work!!
Old 06-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #38

I discovered I have this problem. But my solution is a 14-year old son!
Old 06-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #39

I have the same problem with the nozzle not staying put. I am a hunter, too,and I use a hunting monopod that I already had. Adjustable length and has a nice anti-slip "V" barrel holder that snubs right up against the handle/hose connection.

http:// http://www.cabelas.com/produ...arch%3Dmonopod

Nice and compact and I store it in the compartment next to the filler. I never leave the fuelling area, but, I have arthritis (RA) and holding the nozzle for a long time is painful...
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:49 AM   #40

While I have never had mine fall out, it seems like it is right on the edge of slipping and maybe then falling out. I fixed this by running the pump at the lowest setting possible for two reasons. First, it does not agitate the nozzle like the full speed setting does and second, I can usually put an additional 3 to 5 gallons in if I am patient as the fuel does not foam up nearly as much on the lowest settings. I have an 80 gallon tank so that's quite a bit.

I read that trick on this forum somewhere and it does work as described.

I am usually cleaning the windshield or some other chore so the slower speed does not hold up anyone behind me. The slower pumping speed takes no more time then the full speed of the trucks pumping 2 or 3 hundred gallons.
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:04 AM   #41

I made a modification to my filler which might make this problem go away.

1) First, I installed two Eye hooks above the filler so I can try the bungee trick if need be but most exciting...

2) I installed two spacers at the bottom of the filler which tilts the filler about 15 degrees downward. It actually aligns the hose going from the filler to the tank better now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Filler 1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	165315  
Old 07-04-2017, 06:07 PM   #42

I followed Guardrail53's advice and it worked! I went to the restroom while fueling and I came back in time to monitor an additional 20 gallons being dispensed before the nozzle automatically shut off!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1611.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	167557   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1613.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	167558  

Tags
fuel