Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2019, 07:00 AM   #1

Fuel option locations pulling a toad

We are about to join the list of folks pulling a toad with our RV. I am curious about options stopping for fuel for a gasser pulling a toad. We are always careful looking for a good space for our 32 foot motor home. Concerned about the extra length of a toad and finding a gas station large enough for us to get in and out.
I know were small in comparison to larger rigs, but wanted to know what apps might be available or advice from others to help planning stops to get in and out safely.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2019, 07:20 AM   #2

Fueling up can often be a bit of a problem. We left Lake Havasu 3 days ago and are now in Big Bend National Park Texas. My plan was to use the big truck stops along I 10 figuring if they were big enough for trucks they were big enough for me. I used Google Earth and Google street view to confirm that I could easily get into and out of the refueling stations. Everything was all planned out and set and I was confident I would have no problems refuelling our almost 40’ gasser pulling the Jeep Wrangler.

As I pulled off I 10 and prepared to enter the first Loves I was dumfounded at how packed the place was. Cars were backed up at every pump. The truck stop side of things was packed too. There was absolutely no possible way to get into that place to refuel. Across the street was a Shell, it was almost empty. I pulled right in and fueled up no problem. Entry and exit was easy peasy.

500 miles later the exact same thing happened at the Pilot I was planning to use. The places was packed to the gills and absolutely impossible to get into. Across the street was a Chevron that was empty. Into the Chevron I pulled and refuelling went well without a hiccup.

I guess time of day could have been a factor but I think the fact that gasoline was $.20 cheaper at the Pilot and Loves make them much more attractive for the average traveler.

We have one more refueling before we reach San Antonio. I plan to use a Chevron or Shell, whichever one is across the street from the Pilot/Loves. The extra $10-12 I spend will be well worth it.

My suggestion is to plan your fuel stops and use Google Maps/Earth/Streetview to make sure you can get in and out easily.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:25 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I can fuel my 42 ft plus toad at almost any station. I use gas buddy to check price then do a visual check. i stop or go on depending on what i see. sams, Costcos, Buc-ees and Race Trac are usually good. I avoid truck stops but they should be ok for gas. Most have biodiesel and i don't care for that. Just look at location and decide if you are comfortable with it.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:27 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I don't use any type of app for access, I do use Gasbuddy for pricing as there can be large price swings from town to town.

From my experience when you are driving the main highways the fueling options normally have sufficient room for larger rigs.

I normally will take an exit that has multiple fuel stations. If possible I'll select a station on the side of the street so I don't have to cross lanes when exiting, this makes it easier to get back on the highway.

While approaching I'll do a quick look and confirm access. If it is questionable I just keep going, I'd rather do that then get in a situation that I'd get stuck. As I enter the fuel stop I'll take a pump that provides me access to fuel and not block others with my toad.

Driving the off roads and through towns I'll look for Walmarts/Sams or other stores of this type as there is usually better access and they have enough space to enter exit.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:34 AM   #5

We try and use any place , not truck stops ever, that has a diesel pump on either end. Normally these locations, Wawa, Race trac, Walmart, Marathon, etc, have plenty of turning radius doe our 40' pusher with small Toad. Normally these locations also a much better price.
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:37 AM   #6

It seems a bit over whelming at first, but you will soon learn it not that hard. Plan ahead so as to leave yourself options. Your generator wont run on less than a quarter tank. It is a good idea to keep plenty in the tank in the event of an emergency, and you need the generator. For this reason, you should start looking once you get below half a tank. This way, you wont be forced to have to use a gas station that has a poor approach. Lots of them are really only designed for cars. Don't choose ones that require sharp turns to enter or exit. A straight on entry, and exit to the pumps and parking area are best. Good luck. Stations that cater to large trucks are also a good choice if you are near interstates etc.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:48 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
.20 cents more across the street is much better than hooking and unhooking the toad or especially damaging something. I have experienced this several times pulling my 38' 5'er and always go for the empty station.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:19 AM   #8

Most fuel trucks are larger then me. If they can get in I hope I can. Only one time I had a problem. Little tight.
fairway2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:11 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
My Garmin GPS has a option to search for stations along my active route - it is easy because it list how far they are "have listed out over 150 miles away & which side of the road. So you can figure with much fuel is in the tank how far you have to drive where to stop. After awhile - you will figure out which stations groups will have easy access.

Normally when we had the 38 foot gas with Toad - I would start planning on a gas stop at 1/2 a tank - If i got to a place & did not like it, just go to the next one "getting off and on the highway is a lot cheaper that hitting something" - I would know how far to the next several stations before i would risk getting in and out of it.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
In my 40’ diesel towing, I only use truck stops.... never had an issue..... have had to wait in line occasionally but that’s just part of the trip....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
In my 40’ diesel towing, I only use truck stops.... never had an issue..... have had to wait in line occasionally but that’s just part of the trip....
I have a 40' gasser and pull a toad. Most Flying J (and some Pilot) have RV lanes in front that allow for entry and exit without backing up. Flying J is owned by Pilot. There is a 'My Pilot' app and web site. You can enter a route and display all locations along the way. I filter on those with RV gas lanes. If you belong to Good Sam you can get a Pilot credit card that is good for 5 cents a gallon off and no likit at pump.

My experience with Loves is no dedicated RV lanes but often the outside pumps have good turning radius.

In general, try to find a gas station where the pump islands are parelel with the road, not at a right angle.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:00 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Diesel coaches have the option of using the truck side of the station, where there's plenty of room. Gas coaches don't have that option, cause there's no gasoline pumps over there.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:05 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivykrewe View Post
I can fuel my 42 ft plus toad at almost any station. I use gas buddy to check price then do a visual check. i stop or go on depending on what i see. sams, Costcos, Buc-ees and Race Trac are usually good. I avoid truck stops but they should be ok for gas. Most have biodiesel and i don't care for that. Just look at location and decide if you are comfortable with it.
X2, and have not used FlyJ or P in 8 years now that they are owned by the same company and I can go a half mile further and save 30+ cents.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:17 PM   #14

Use Google Maps with Satellite view to see entrance and exits from the gas station BEFORE you turn off the main road... Works for us 80% of the time - no problems.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, fuel, toad