Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2021, 01:52 PM   #1

Fuel pressure guage sending unit location

Im sorry because i know this subject has been beat to death already. I want to but a pressure guage for lift pump pressure on a 06 cummins 5.9 in a 07 monaco.I have searched the posts and there a lot of talk on the subject but I could not find the answer to my questions. The people at glow shift and genos garage are dealing with 5.9 cummins in dodge pickups with the lift pump in the fuel tank so you can tap in just about anywere after the pump. They will sell me just about any thing I want but say they don't know if it will work on a rv because there are to many different rv out there.The monaco I have has two fuel filters the last filter has aline out to the lift pump that is behind the ecm.Then it comes out of lift pump and on to injection pump.Well now here is the question.Has anyone put a pressure guage on a setup similar to this and where did you tap in and where did you get the parts to do it?
jimmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2021, 02:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a pressure gauge after installing a FASS transfer pump. For the time being I've left both the primary and secondary filters in place besides the two filters the FASS system has.

I installed the sending unit on top of the secondary filter, which in my case is mounted rear of the engine, passenger side. It is the filter with the water in fuel sensor at the bottom.

If you have not installed a different transfer pump (FASS or Air Dog) the guage may not work as it will only show pressure when the original lift pump is running for ~30 seconds. It will then drop below 0 psi since there will be a vacuum.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:56 PM   #3

Most if not all the posts I've seen about installing a fuel pressure Gauge on Cummins engines have been on engines with the VP-44 injection pump (5.9l)
or CAPS , (8.3L ) .
So your 2006, 5.9l with HPCR , I believe will be different than anything you've come across .

I've only been able to find pictures of a 2007 ISB with HPCR and believe the injection pump has been moved , from the timing gear cover to the bellhousing on the motorhome version of the engine .

Any chance you could post pictures of the ECM and fuel lines leading to the injection high pressure pump.
We'll see if we can pinpoint a likely spot .
Old 09-03-2021, 11:48 AM   #4

I have got out of town visitors the weekend but as soon as they leave i will open up the hatch in bedroom and get down in there and take a look.Plus I have what I hope is going to be a accurate shop manual coming tomorrow and maybe it will show some of the fuel lines.But what I have seen is the lift pump is behind the ecm on the side of the engine. the fuel line comes out of what I think is the second fuel filter goes to the lift pump behind computer out of the lift pump and I believe on to the injection pump. The confusing thing is what I thought was the #1 fuel filter with the water separator bowl on the bottom hase plastic yellow fuel lines coming in and out seem to go to the cooling plate for the ecm and I don't were after that. So maybe when I get the manual or when I crawl down in there next week I can tell you more. there are all kinds of places to hook on but there all before the lift pump and I'm sure I have to hook in after the pump.Well thank you for the come back I will get back when i know more.
Old 09-03-2021, 12:35 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I installed mine in one of the two 1/8 NPT plugs on the filter after the lift pump. One of the plugs is at the filter input and the other is at the output. The transducer from my gauge is 1/8 NPT that I got from Genos years ago.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:08 PM   #6

Looking for pictures of your application of the, HPCR , high pressure pump , turns up two different styles , one style appears to have a mechanical lift pump on the back of the main high pressure pump , so an electric pump mounted to the ECM cooling plate would only be a primer pump and have a short duty cycle ; probably 30 sec. after key on .
So when taking pictures please get one of the high pressure pump , so we can confirm the electric pump cycle . As mentioned by the member with a CAPS system on his ISC , after the electric pump duty cycle ( if only 30 secs)the gauge would only show vacuum when the mechanical lift pump takes over.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:05 AM   #7

Sorry that I got lost for a week but I own A motorcycle Dyno tuning center and we have been swamped all week. Yesterday I got my cummins manual and today I opened up the full hatch to the engine compartment witch means taking the rear closet apart.Now that I have the manual I can see the fuel travels a completely differant route than I thought.The fuel leave the tank to the filter water seperator travels though the cooling plate to the lift pump out of the lift pump to the second fuel filter and on to the injection pump. The second filter is easy to access so it will be fairly easy to hook the gauge sending unit up at the fuel filter.thank you for the come back and maybe if anyone else wants to put a guage on there commom rail system this wiil help.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:10 AM   #8

By the way skip426 according to this cummins manual the I bought the lift pump runs for 60 seconds when key is turned on and then the pump runs continuously when engine is running.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:44 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mine run continuously while running and 25 seconds on bump start.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
By the way skip426 according to this cummins manual the I bought the lift pump runs for 60 seconds when key is turned on and then the pump runs continuously when engine is running.
Thanks for that info , I'll keep it in mind when questions about the HPCR 5.9l come up.
My Dodge/ Cummins experience with HPCR 03/07 is that those engines didn't have the ECM cooling plate , and used the lift pump in two different locations depending on the year , and like you mentioned cycled at key on then they run continually with the engine running .
So it should be easy for me to remember .

Is your high pressure pump located on the timing gear cover , or at the rear of the engine ( bellhousing )?
Like the photos ,of the motorhome version of the 6.7 l I have.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:18 AM   #11

my injection pump is on the bell housing.I got a guage and banjo fitting with a dampner built into it to stop the pulsing on the guage. I hooked it in at the second fuel filter witch is after my electric lift pump and all is working fine. I have about 9 to 10 psi after the filter so I think I will be fine with that.The only job now is to run forty feet of harness up to the front.Just so I could see how it worked I ran the cable in the engine hatch and along the floor to the front but I don't think I can get mama to go for that.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
my injection pump is on the bell housing.I got a guage and banjo fitting with a dampner built into it to stop the pulsing on the guage. I hooked it in at the second fuel filter witch is after my electric lift pump and all is working fine. I have about 9 to 10 psi after the filter so I think I will be fine with that.The only job now is to run forty feet of harness up to the front.Just so I could see how it worked I ran the cable in the engine hatch and along the floor to the front but I don't think I can get mama to go for that.
I'd like to see pictures when you get this all done .

BTW. Coach interior is the DW's domain , don't mess with it without prior written approval .

Tags
cat, fuel