Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #1

Fuel pump issue 98 Pace Arrow

Hi guys.

I have a 98 pacearrow 34 foot that I bought last year and the last camping trip I made last year I backed it into my driveway and parked it. I went out and winterized it and went to run the generator and it didn't seem to want to start. I started the motorhome and ran it for a little while and then shut it off.

fast forward about a month later and I went out to run the engine and generator. the generator popped right off but the engine was no dice. After checking and testing it appears the fuel pump isn't working.

There is 3/8 of a tank of gas in it, it is sitting on a slight angle to the passenger side. I was just curious if anyone has had to change one of these or might have any advice? I plan on doing the work myself. I have even thought I might get lucky and find the pump to be under the rear bed and i can cut a small hole in the floor and not have to drop the tank.
bobbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Given the suggested angle it's sitting at and the low level of fuel I'd try putting 5 or 10 gallons of additional fuel in first it's the easiest thing to try.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Given the suggested angle it's sitting at and the low level of fuel I'd try putting 5 or 10 gallons of additional fuel in first it's the easiest thing to try.
I thought about that i just didn't want to add more weight to a tank that i may have to drop.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:30 PM   #4

try putting some fuel in the throttle body or starting fluid and see if it fires then atleast you will know its fuel related then go from there
Old 12-14-2016, 10:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCarillon View Post
try putting some fuel in the throttle body or starting fluid and see if it fires then atleast you will know its fuel related then go from there
Thanks I have done that. I've got it to start on starting fluid but it dies when that burns off. I've swapped the horn relay for the fuel pump relay and also tested the posts for voltage. And I have voltage coming into the relay and out of the relay. So there is power going to the pump but I'm not getting fuel to the engine. It's got to be a froze pump, a faulty pump, or a faulty connector at the pump.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:46 AM   #6

I had a 93 pace arrow that the fuel pump quit on when driving and I couldn't find a fuel pump fuse so after some checking the fuse for the fuel pump was actually ECM B and it had blown it was a P30 chassis 454
PCarillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:18 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Have someone turn on the key while you are back at the fuel tank. You should be able to hear the fuel pump running. If it isn't running it could be the fuse or the pump. There should be a wiring harness going to the top of the tank for the fuel pump, use a multimeter to see if voltage is going to the pump, if you have voltage your pump is probably bad.

Most of the tank fuel pumps function the same way and install is about the same. Do some research and I'm sure there will be more information on how to change.

I started having trouble with my 89 Suburban so decided to change. Did some searches on Youtube. Bought a replacement pump. Ran the fuel down to an 1/8 of a tank. Backed the vehicle onto a ramp to get clearance. Dropped the tank, disconnected the fill hose, pressure and return hose, and wiring harness. Pulled the tank, finished emptying the tank. Removed the fuel pump from the top, installed new one. Reversed procedure to get it back in vehicle. Total cost was ~$40 for the pump plus my time which is free.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:29 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How about cracking the inlet line at the fuel filter so it's real loose then turn the key on to see if it leaks fuel, it'll only leak for a second or two. Doing something like this would not let you know if you have proper fuel pressure but would let you know if the pump is dead.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pace arrow, fuel, ace