Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #1

Fuel Pump Problems

We just purchased a 1992 Winnebago Adventure 34Q, 454 P30 chassis Chevy . We made 2 trips(1400 mi & 600 mi). On the way home the engine started cutting out and loosing power and died. Let it set for awhile and it started again but did not want to idle without pumping the pedal. Finally got it running and up to speed 65 mph, it ran for about 30 miles and the same thing happened again. Finally made it home 4hrs later. Let it set over night tried to start it the next morning, still would not idle w/o pulsing. I was sure it is a fuel problem. I changed the fuel filter, it had alot of junk in it looked like choclate milk. Still did not help . I believe it is a weak fuel pump. I have heard about cutting a access door under the bed to reach the tank. My question is what is there to under the carpet that I would have to remove? Anyone tried this? Also I found fuel pumps & sending units for sale but none were for a 78 gal tank.
REDEYE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDEYE50 View Post
. I believe it is a weak fuel pump. I have heard about cutting a access door under the bed to reach the tank.
Before cutting, it might be an idea to verify this fuel pressure. Is this unit EFI or carb? Local autoparts stores will sometimes loan or rent for free diagnostic tools. Could be a fuel contamination problem possibly?
fast_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:42 PM   #3

Its quite possible the screen on the pump is plugged. Sounds like the tank has dirt or rust in it. It should be removed and cleaned out . Just replacing the pump may only work for a short time.
Soppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_st View Post
Before cutting, it might be an idea to verify this fuel pressure. Is this unit EFI or carb? Local autoparts stores will sometimes loan or rent for free diagnostic tools. Could be a fuel contamination problem possibly?
454 throttle body injection, thanks
Old 08-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
Its quite possible the screen on the pump is plugged. Sounds like the tank has dirt or rust in it. It should be removed and cleaned out . Just replacing the pump may only work for a short time.
I have to agree with Soppy, if you had chocolate milk coming out of the old fuel filter, something is in the tank, so cutting a hole in your RV is really not solving your problem.

I would drop the tank and clean it out, then install a new pump.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:31 PM   #6

454 Fuel Starved

Before dropping the tank (which you should do anyway based on your observation) check the rubber fuel lines from the tank. At 25 years they are probably deteriorating and may be the source of some of the material in the filter.
STLNLUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:19 PM   #7

Did everything I could so I finally took it to a mechanic!! will let you know. Thanks again
Old 09-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #8

Any update after the mech inspection?
fast_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:47 AM   #9

fixed

sorry for the delay in getting back, been camping LOL. I took it to my mechanic , who tested the fuel pumpand found it had only 2-3 psi. He dropped tank and installed new pump and filter. Checked tank and found it to be clean. Should have taken it to him sooner rather than trying DIY. Only cost me $300 plus a six pack! Thanks again

Tags
ems, fuel, fuel pump, problems