Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #15
P38

Sounds like he wants the saw blade to hold the handle in place while fueling hands free.
P38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #16

Ivy, I see your in a 45 footer, how are you finding these other stations to fit in? Are you pulling a toad? I've tried to go elsewhere but, geez either the overhead canopy is too low, tight lanes with cars around, or just can't bend my 45'r in their driveway and lanes. Love saving money also
Old 12-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I don't hold the nozzle when fueling, and would REVOLT if the abysmal design made such activity necessary. Really?? Hold the nozzle to fuel 100 gallons because some inbred troglodyte couldn't figure out how to design and test a fuel filler? That's acceptable? wow..
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnSue View Post
Ivy, I see your in a 45 footer, how are you finding these other stations to fit in? Are you pulling a toad?
I'll admit I like a challenge but it helps that I can backup without unhooking...on occasion I've had to back out of a station. This also lets me make 2 and 3 point turns where you back up a little with the front wheels turned the opposite direction partway through the turn. This lets me make turns that are impossible in just one swing...you go past where you would normally start the turn and then back up several times if necessary.

I have not found the canopy height to be a problem even in my "new" rig which is taller than my previous Dynasty. Usually the diesel is on the end islands so that makes it easier. If I ever hit something, all the savings will be wiped out, but that's what those mirrors are for.

I can make a 180 when the B.. in the box leads me astray by going past a side road with no traffic coming and then backing into it...this is much easier than you might think. The extra 3' has taken some getting used to compared to my previous 42', but well worth it.

Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #19

Ivy, well that's different way to tow, nice!
Old 12-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
It sounds like you are not holding on to the nozzle handle while fueling. If so, it's no wonder you're spraying fuel all over the place.
That saw blade is not going to play well with a flexible fuel hose.
I think you should reevaluate the way you fuel your coach. Everyone around you while you are fueling will appreciate some improvements in your procedures as will the station employees and the local fire department.
Really? You stand there and hold the handle until you've pumped up to 100 gallons or more into your RV? What is the latch on the handle that keeps the pump running when you let go for- if not for being able to let go and take care of other things like your windshield and checking the oil?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
I go to Walmart's, Kroger, RaceTrac etc for cheaper fuel as long as I think it looks like a high volume outlet, would never buy from Joe's Fuel Stop. It is a super PIA with some of the slow pumps but find the Walmart Super Centers' on the interstate install high capacity fuel dispensers so makes fueling quick. The higher capacity pumps will spillover a lot more for me than the slower ones. I find checking the oil right after a run to be inaccurate since the oil takes time to drain to the oil pan, but it maybe just me thinking that. I do feel its safer to stand by the pump when refueling for those accidents that can happen and if a shutoff fails can pump lot of fuel on the ground quickly. Different strokes for different folks
Old 12-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #22

Before you guys go wandering off from the fuel nozzle to wash your windshield, check your oil or some other very, very important task you feel you have to do for the next few minutes take a look at the signs, notices, etc. affixed to most fuel pumps. You know, the ones that say things like No Smoking and Do Not Leave Nozzles Unattended.

I grant you it's not very easy for a properly inserted gasoline nozzle to fall out of the filler pipe on a gasoline car because the nozzle diameter is very slightly smaller than the filler pipe diameter. The nozzle assembly is lighter in weight and the filler pipe is slanted more steeply into a low mounted tank. We get used to not worrying about anything happening while it is filling and we don't even think about the automatic shutoff failing to do its job.

Now, a 100 gallon diesel tank design is a whole 'nother matter. The fill pipe diameter is considerably larger than the diameter of the nozzle. Even the high volume nozzles. Not much opportunity to wedge the nozzle in there to stay. The neck of the fill pipe is very short and is mounted at the very top of a flat topped steel tank. If the ground isn't level and you haven't gone to the trouble to make sure you are fueling from the high side instead of the low side that's a recipe for a small spill if no one is there to stop it. The angle of the fill pipe is very shallow compared to the angle of the fill pipe of a gasoline car. The shallow angle of nozzle insertion, the smaller diameter of the nozzle compared to the fill pipe and the weight of the hose pulling down on the nozzle can be a recipe for a disaster.

I know we all get complacent when it comes to diesel because it is much harder to ignite than gasoline. I know I do. It's a remote possibility that a spark from static electricity could provide an ignition source as the nozzle slips out of the tank or a spark caused by the nozzle striking the concrete could do the same. I think those possibilities have been considered in the design of the materials used in the nozzles but I'm not sure.

However, I still stand there, sometimes in a bitter cold wind, with one hand or the other supporting the weight of the nozzle until my 100 gallon tank is full and none of it is on my paint, on the ground or on my shoes. I will continue to do so and hope others will do the same.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Twice recently when filling up with diesel I’ve had the nozzle come out and spray diesel until the nozzle hits the ground, making a heck of a mess. In 14 years I never had this happen with my previous Dynasty and I cannot tell any difference between the fuel door on it and my “new” Navigator.

Decided to add a blade for a reciprocating saw to the bottom of the fuel door to give it more traction. Getting the second hole in the hardened blade took starting with a small drill bit first. Could not find my pop rivet set so used two screws. While I have not tried it out yet, its got to be better than the plastic I removed from the bottom of the opening...time will tell.

I have a similar shape fuel inlet and door to yours. I cannot get it to stay in there unattended. I stay and hold it because of that mostly and also because of the other potential problems noted on here.
iluvuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:00 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Seriously, in 14 years and 88K miles I never had this problem with a setup that looks to be identical but now twice in a couple months. Bungee cords are probably the best solution...Thanks
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:09 PM   #25

Be careful, let's not get the EPA, or the Hazmat team involved. Don't need no spills.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:13 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Go to the auto lane and you will have more time to wash the windshield- or maybe smoke a cigarette?
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Heck I go in the store half the time.
Stand there holding the nozzle?
Now that’s funny!
Old 12-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #28

I've never had the nozzle slip out. Sometimes I hold the handle in place with it set on fast-flow. The truck diesel pumps 'pump' a gallon about every 3-4 seconds. Usually the most I'll pump is about 150 gallons into our 230 gallon tank.

Once, when I had the handle selector on low, it did not turn off and a little fuel over-spilled. So now, I always set it on high so that it will click off from the foam. Then, I'll manually pump in another 10 gallons or so to fill'r up.

It's the DEF tank handle that is the headache. It is SO sensitive that you have to hold your tongue just right for the handle not to click off. I'm glad that I usually never need more than 10 gallons in our 16 gallon tank.

Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel