Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2019, 10:59 PM   #15

Most stations that are right off the freeway are usually set up for good access and exit. I usually fuel up about after 4 hours of driving. It's a good time to take a break.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2019, 05:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmann55 View Post
Does flying j have lanes for gas motorhomes?
Yes and a dump station and propane, here is the one closest to me I use quite often, pretty typical for Flying J with RV lanes:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flying J.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	242386
Old 04-18-2019, 11:09 PM   #17

You'll be fine with a 32ft. I have a 35 foot with a trailer and fit into most places. It's all about ability and how comfortable you are squeezing into small spaces.
Yamxer438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:55 AM   #18

I have been using Flying J rv pumps for 5 years. Three with my Tiffin gas and two with my Newmar Diesel. I have a POI set for it using RVTW and it shows them. I google them to make sure they have RV lanes, but most of them do.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:15 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
On very rare occasions, you may find that the Pilot station has RV lanes. (Pilot and Flying-J are owned by the same parent company)

ALSO - On very, very, very rare occasions, you may find that one of the truck lanes can also pump gas. The Flying-J in Yuma has one Truck lane that also has a gas pump.

Most of the RV lanes are dedicated and separated from the main car pumps. They are reasonably easy to get in and out, but can't deal with any kind of backup, two or more RVs waiting in a line to get to the pumps). Use caution when exiting, most require sharp swings through the normal gas station traffic.. Pay close attention to your tail swing when turning sharp.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:01 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
My problems with Flying J rv lanes are cars using the lanes or cars parking and blocking the exit.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:04 AM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill98116
Years ago I had a 36' gasser towing a trailer carrying my Harley. I adhere to the "don't go below half a tank" rule but late one night in Oklahoma we got into a situation where I had to find some gas pronto! I pulled into a small station and upon leaving I didn't allow enough for the "tail swing" ended up just barely catching the metal barrier next to the pump and tore a large chunk out of the rear cap! The only time to this day that I've put even a scratch on any of my rigs (knock on wood)! So just take it slow, don't worry about the guy behind you, he can wait and watch out for that "dragon tail" swing!
Bill
Old 04-19-2019, 08:09 AM   #22

I use Google maps and set to show gas stations. My coach is 27'. When look in Google maps you can zoom in on the gas station, also pilot as an app with flying J. The app will list if they offer RV gas lanes and or dump. I try to use outside pumps and facing towards exit this way I don't get blocked in. Which has happened when I was facing store.
takpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:16 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivykrewe View Post
My problems with Flying J rv lanes are cars using the lanes or cars parking and blocking the exit.

Saw this at a Flying J in Tucson last winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190310_121638.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	242660  
Old 04-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
^^ It takes all kinds... I've used that Flying J in Tuscan several times. There is no room for waiting without blocking the driveway.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #25

We just had a situation in SC where I pulled into one Pilot and after surveying the situation there was just no way we were going to be able to fill up. Went over the interstate to a Pilot on the other side of the hiway (same exit) and it had dedicated RV lanes/pump!

So this morning I re arranged the pilot gas station list (downloadable exel file) to show all the Pilot locations with rv lanes first. With this info these will be our preferred stops whenever possible.
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmso54 View Post
We just had a situation in SC where I pulled into one Pilot and after surveying the situation there was just no way we were going to be able to fill up. Went over the interstate to a Pilot on the other side of the hiway (same exit) and it had dedicated RV lanes/pump!

So this morning I re arranged the pilot gas station list (downloadable exel file) to show all the Pilot locations with rv lanes first. With this info these will be our preferred stops whenever possible.
Nice where did you get the spreadsheet? Or did you create it
takpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:15 AM   #27

If someone were to ever make an app to show gas stations that are RV friendly i would be their first customer to buy the app.

I don't tow currently so its just me and my rig having to get to a pump. my fill is in the dead center of the rear so on a lot of stations im having to block some traffic.

My girlfriend, bless her heart, thinks I can put this RV anywhere (mainly because i have). I usually tell her around 3/8's tank to start looking for fuel stations. she will use gas buddy to find lower prices and then start to verify where they are at. the problem is, she has zero ability to tell if i can get the rv in and out of a place.

Last night she has me pulling off to a TA which i always felt they were nicer and had RV lanes. This one did not. I pulled into the same gas station i would if i was pulling in with a car, took the outer most pump so when i turned i wasn't going to hit anything with my tail and had a way to get out of this place that was fairly easy. only problem. the gas station was on a hill. I didn't notice it as much when i pulled in but when i started pumping I realized why the pump was having issues. I ended up getting 7 gallons of gas in with the pump shutting off every few seconds before finally saying screw this. ill go elsewhere. I realized what was going on, as the motorhome was tilted towards the rear fairly decent, i was never going to get to fill the tank at this station.

Now it should be known i drove past this run down tiny gas station hoping for an RV lane. but decided to dry the tiny station. I wasn't certain id be able to even get to the outside pumps and i was right. that lane just wasn't wide enough to get into. so i had to pick a center lane. I basically took up 4 pumps while filling my tank. but the thing was level and i could fill up quickly and without issues. I then realized i had an easy straight forward exit that didn't require me to jockey the rv around and I was back on the highway.

If I had a toad, i never would go into some of the stations and would strictly stick with RV lanes, with just my coach, I can get into just about any gas station, its going to be white knuckle sometimes but its possible. if you look at it and it looks small and suspect, just drive past it to the next one. there are gas stations all over and you are bound to find one that you like
Old 04-19-2019, 01:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by takpay View Post
Nice where did you get the spreadsheet? Or did you create it
From the Pilot website: I think this link will take you straight there? https://pilotflyingj.com/store-locations/

From there it's downloadable and can be edited
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, gas, motorhome, motorhomes