Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2017, 06:22 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fueling

Does anyone else find it a pain to get fuel, gasser? When on interstate not too bad but else where it can be an ordeal figuring out which pumps that head in the right direction when towing the Jeep . Any tips out there? Thanks
bevo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2017, 06:32 PM   #2

WaWa, Speedway (Hess), and Thortons usually have good turn areas. We have a 39' Class and tow a KIA Soul and can get in and out with no problem. There are probably others out there but in Florida those are the main ones we use.
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:07 PM   #3

We don't have a gasser, but a diesel coach towing a Honda CR-V and we usually fill up at smaller stations all along our beautiful country's back roads. After a while you get the hang of figuring out which stations are set up the best for you. As we approach Sharon gives the station a once over and makes a decision on thumbs up or down. If thumbs up then she plots a good exit strategy. With diesel coaches there is an added complexity of finding which pumps have the green diesel pump handles. She only has a few seconds to get me into a station correctly. We find stations that have angled pump islands usually give us the best of possibilities. The stations with perpendicular islands the worse.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:15 PM   #4

Sometimes it can totally be a real pain for sure, but I've found that even when we're off the beaten path in anytown USA you can usually get a pretty good feel for if it's going to work out or not pulling into a station within just a few seconds of eyeballing it. My biggest gauge is seeing how much pavement/space is between the pumps and the gas stations main building, and also how much room is on the side of the pump that's on the end of the line. The thought process is if I can pull in I want to have space on the other side of the pumps where I'd exit after filling up to pull out and have room to turn left or right to get back out to the entrance/exit. The ideal situation is having room to enter and then circle around the outside of the pumps and then go between the pumps and the building and stop for your fill up on the end row of pumps with your RV now facing the exit. When we first started rv'ing many years ago with a travel trailer we were always very self conscious about trying not to get in anyone else's way, or blocking anything, but now as I've gotten older I've learned you really just have to have some thick skin because as you're waiting for a pump to open up people will honk, and sometimes give me the middle finger telling me I'm number one, or the worst is when someone will try to cut right in front of me after I've been waiting several minutes for a pump to open. Oh well, I just smile and wave, and it is what it is - we need the gas, and sometimes have limited options. I guess planning ahead and making sure we have several options is the best way to minimize the pain, but sometimes it's just going to be a painful ordeal because of where you are.
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny1 View Post
Sometimes it can totally be a real pain for sure, but I've found that even when we're off the beaten path in anytown USA you can usually get a pretty good feel for if it's going to work out or not pulling into a station within just a few seconds of eyeballing it. My biggest gauge is seeing how much pavement/space is between the pumps and the gas stations main building, and also how much room is on the side of the pump that's on the end of the line. The thought process is if I can pull in I want to have space on the other side of the pumps where I'd exit after filling up to pull out and have room to turn left or right to get back out to the entrance/exit. The ideal situation is having room to enter and then circle around the outside of the pumps and then go between the pumps and the building and stop for your fill up on the end row of pumps with your RV now facing the exit. When we first started rv'ing many years ago with a travel trailer we were always very self conscious about trying not to get in anyone else's way, or blocking anything, but now as I've gotten older I've learned you really just have to have some thick skin because as you're waiting for a pump to open up people will honk, and sometimes give me the middle finger telling me I'm number one, or the worst is when someone will try to cut right in front of me after I've been waiting several minutes for a pump to open. Oh well, I just smile and wave, and it is what it is - we need the gas, and sometimes have limited options. I guess planning ahead and making sure we have several options is the best way to minimize the pain, but sometimes it's just going to be a painful ordeal because of where you are.
I'll have to remember that one!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:16 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Oh and the one I loved when we had our gas rig was getting into a long island and filling up just fine. Just as I was finishing up, a car pulls in front of us to a spot that was occupied when we pulled in, fills up with me sitting in the driver's seat and engine running ready to get out of the way. After he fills up the whole family gets out of the car and goes in the store for fifteen minutes, leaving the car in the way.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:23 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Google Earth with Street View can be a great planning tool.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #8

Gas coaches generally have a tougher time, especially when towing, since the fuel fill is either right near the rear driver side, or even on the rear of the coach itself... putting the coach 'out' into the lanes at many stations - and it's harder to gauge whether your fuel fill is near 'enough' to the pump itself as you maneuver in...

Our Diesel has the fuel fills(one on both sides) at the front, right behind the driver side window... making it much easier to maneuver in at the right place next to the pump...

it's interesting, though, that front end Gas coaches have the fuel fill in/near the REAR,
and the rear end Diesel coaches have the fuel fill near the FRONT : ) go figure
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
Google Earth with Street View can be a great planning tool.
I use Google Street View when planning trips. I know I can get around 300 miles on a half tank of gas and will plan fuel stops ahead of time. Street view let's me know exactly how the pumps are arranged at the station where I plan to stop.

Coming back from Florida a couple weeks ago, we had to detour because of a wreck on I-75. I had planned on stopping in about 50 more miles, so I had my navigator look ahead on the new route on her phone to find a suitable station.

And, Gas Buddy lets you know what station has the best fuel prices.

AL
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:10 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Costco is my first choice, always the lowest price and I can always get in and out with little problem.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:16 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
Gas coaches generally have a tougher time, especially when towing, since the fuel fill is either right near the rear driver side, or even on the rear of the coach itself... putting the coach 'out' into the lanes at many stations - and it's harder to gauge whether your fuel fill is near 'enough' to the pump itself as you maneuver in...

Our Diesel has the fuel fills(one on both sides) at the front, right behind the driver side window... making it much easier to maneuver in at the right place next to the pump...

it's interesting, though, that front end Gas coaches have the fuel fill in/near the REAR,
Think it might have something to do with weight and space>>>Richard
Old 03-28-2017, 09:17 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use Google maps with find along route feature filtered to display truck stops. It usually shows small and medium stations with good access other than truck lanes.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:46 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
That's so the fill is closest to where the fuel tank is located, rear for gas rigs and front for diesels.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel