Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #57

The PFJ card can do either, depending upon how you set it up. At the beginning and unless you contact them directly you'll get a lower limit (typically $1,000) for a charge card than the auto-pay (usually $2,500). After a while (because when we lived in Wyoming our closest and cheapest gas station was the Pilot so we used it for cars and the RV) I asked if they would raise the charge limit (without adding auto-pay) and they did so in about 24 hours (all via email).

Whether trucks stops are more or less expensive depends on the region, I've found. In Cheyenne they were always within pennies (sometimes higher, sometimes lower) or the cheapest stations "in town", and living back in the SF Bay Area, "town" is always more expensive than getting out on the road (not to mention there are plenty of fuel stations that would be a nightmare to get a 40' DP into).

Sadly, though my tank venting is such that I can't refuel much faster than a standard pump, so I try and use the RV lanes so I don't have to hand-hold the pump. The good news is that since I've got just a little ISC and a 150 gallon tank I don't have to fuel TOO often.

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #58

Country Coach Owners Club
Pacific Pride eliminates all the hub hub of truck stops. They are usually within cents of the local prices. A simple phone call to them gets the current price.

And no, you do not need to buy 2500 gallons a month or a year.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
gas budy

Hi All, just a short note to give ya'all a heads up to Gasbudy.com for fuel/gas prices anywhere you are.

My sweetheart will get this site on her phone when we are in need of a fill up. It's on the computer as well.
They give the prices of fuel and gas in the area your in and or for most of the areas your headed.

The trick is to Enter the prices of 'gas' stations as you travel around. That way we all get to see the Fuel Prices. You get some sort of 'points' (were not doing this for a payback) as you enter information, but it helps us all..
The site works as people enter the current fuel prices and it's passed on to others to view..

Finally made it to retirement, now to really live.... Bruce.
norcalbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #60

I use GasBuddy too on my smartphone. Unless it comes up with an obvious truck stop as having the cheapest fuel (and it seldom does) it's best to call ahead to see about access for your rig. $0.10 a gallon may not be worth the hassle of backing out of station.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
sorry I had it wrong, it is GasBuddy.com....... thanks.
norcalbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:06 PM   #62

You folks worry to much what other people think... Just be considerate and go about your business.
Hazey Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:58 AM   #63

plus 1 on using the truck islands vs. car islands and on the RV Plus card. On a recent trip we had to fill up twice using the regular car service islands (Exxon & Shell) and both times the pumps were so slow it was unbelievable! Not slow compared to truck nozzles but slow as in molasses. In fact, I had to pull the nozzle out part way just to make sure fuel was flowing . . . PIA! Never had a problem at a truck island but having to go inside to pay is a pain. CP goes in and handles business while I refuel & always pull forward when done at the pump even if CP isn't back yet. Common courtesy is so rare these days.
Safetysteve5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Usually DW goes in and I pump the fuel. Then pull up out of the way.

The biggest problem I have is on my Scepter the fill is on the passenger side. So I have to remove the main pump hose to get the satellite to work. Then I can't see the amount of fuel etc.
Any suggestions about this to make it easier?

Richard
RCG604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetysteve5 View Post
plus 1 on using the truck islands vs. car islands and on the RV Plus card...but having to go inside to pay is a pain.

Why do you go inside to pay with an RV Plus card? I pay at the pump with mine every time.

Rich
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:09 AM   #66

I don't where I can use the RVPlus card. But Pilot/Flying J's aren't always available.
Locally we have had a new Stripes/Sunoco outlet open up. You can use any major credit card at the pump and pay for DEF & fuel with a single transaction. Then pump one, move you rig & pump the other & retrieve your receipt!! Best set-up yet.
Safetysteve5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #67

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is something to think about. SOME States tax truckers more than they do other drivers. So if you fill up at the "Commercial" pumps you pay more tax.

Some stations will adjust the bill if you pay indoors or use an RV card at the pump.. Some will not and to get your excess tax back you'd have to file a tax return for that state.

Your choice.. I use either RV pumps or Auto pumps.. I will use an out of service truck pump if I need to wash the windshield. and such exists.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:33 PM   #68

At the typical 3 gal/min fuel delivery rate at the auto pump it will take 30 minutes to pump 90 gallons. That same 90 gallons takes about 7 minutes at a truck pump. My time is worth more than the few cents I might pay in extra taxes at the truck pumps.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:38 AM   #69

According to what I found:

Quote:
Flow rate is typically 10 gallons per minute and is higher for highspeed pumps serving trucks and other large vehicles. In the United States flow rate is limited to 10 US gallons (37.9 litres) per minute except "Any dispensing pump that is dedicated exclusively to heavy-duty vehicles, boats, or airplanes is exempt from this requirement.
Every once in awhile I run into a fueling station where it seems to take forever, but that would be the exception. Normally I can clean the coach and toad windshield and put my squeegee away at the same time it takes to pump 60 gallons of diesel. I normally go where I save the most money.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:48 AM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
At the typical 3 gal/min fuel delivery rate at the auto pump it will take 30 minutes to pump 90 gallons. That same 90 gallons takes about 7 minutes at a truck pump. My time is worth more than the few cents I might pay in extra taxes at the truck pumps.
the same thing said last month. I charge $175 per hr but still like to save 20-30 bucks per fill by looking for fuel up to 30 cents differential often at large easy to enter stations. I use mapquest for fuel pricing and look for best price on my route. A little planning works well.
besides, my DW is Welch and she pinches pennies. If I don't save money she pinches me. we use a cash back credit card and get 3% back.

Tags
fuel