Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2014, 07:04 AM   #1

Fueling at Pilot and FJ

When we started south a couple of weeks ago, I stopped for diesel fuel at a Pilot in Missouri. When I began fueling, a pump tender and clean up guy came to me and said I would need to relocate to the RV lane ASAP. I said I did not know there was an RV lane and he pointed it out to me and I immediately saw that I would have a lot of trouble negotiating all the tight turns. I have a 43 ft. With toad. His response was that I really should relocate. By that time I had already pumped 50 gallons and was not going to move. Nothing was said inside about this "rule" and I was in a hurry and did not pursue it.

Again, in Arkansas, I was told the same thing at FJ. I did not move and it was raining, so I did not pursue questions. In Mississippi, I just went straight to the RV pump and found that that is where they park to go eat breakfast. Took a couple of trips to the cashier to get the cars moved. I can't back without disconnecting the toad. Guess i will go straight to the truck pumps from now and let them run me off. Also the RV pump took forever to pump 130 gallons with that small nozzle.

Is this a new policy at truck stops or they just trying to justify the investment in the new RV pumps? I pay cash and don't need the credit card function at the RV pumps. I also don't want to go hunting another station when I exit the interstate as many are jut too difficult to maneuver around in when I do find them.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #2

I've never had this happen and fuel almost exclusively at Pilot and Flying J. IF there is an RV lane, I usually use that. However, the old Pilots don't have RV lanes, so I use the truck lanes. I have the Pilot RV Card and follow proper protocol. I wait in line, pump my fuel, then leave so I don't block the truckers. Never had a problem and never had anyone tell me I had to leave.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I have not encountered that. I fuel at FJ at least 90% of the time. When I was new to this mode of travel, I sat in the RV lanes once for nearly 45 min. That was my one and only time in that hell.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:43 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
On the Pilot/Flying J website for RVs it tells you, "If you are to big or just want to you can feel free to use the truck or auto pumps". I only use the truck pumps at Flying J.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:48 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by budwilson View Post
On the Pilot/Flying J website for RVs it tells you, "If you are to big or just want to you can feel free to use the truck or auto pumps". I only use the truck pumps at Flying J.
Good to know, as I usually use the truck pumps. The RV lanes are sometimes very tight to get in and out of, especially with a toad!!
Mjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:24 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I have always used the truck lanes without a problem. However since the merger, I don't care to do business with FL anymore. I loaded "truck stops" in my GPS and now stop at many others instead of FJ and normally 6 cents a gallon less. They all have the same maneuverability as FJ and never had anyone to tell me to move to RV lanes that they don't have
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #7

Please let's not turn every thread with 'Flying J' in the title into a bitch fest.

Anyway, to the OP, you just ran into a couple of very uninformed employees. Use the truck pumps whenever you think it best and don't give it another thought.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Never had a problem with any FJ! We use their card allowing an 8 cent per gallon discount. This puts their price usually below neighboring truck stops. When the RV lanes are suitable we use them. Generally they are not adequate as we are 44 ft. With a toad.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #9

Those RV lanes were not designed for 40+' motorhomes pulling a trailer or toad. I too use the truck lanes with no problems. Next time that happens, ask to see the manager. If he confirms that policy, thank him for the info so you can post it on the internet that RVs are not welcome in the truck lanes of Pilot/Flying J Stations. That will get someones attention.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Never had that problem! I would just continue to use the truck pumps and ignore anybody that tells you differently! JMHO!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We use Flying J and Pilot exclusively, have their "My Rewards" card that turns the pump on and provides a discount. We live in Missouri and have never had any issues using the truck lanes in either FJ or Pilot. Think there was a misinformed employee...
Old 01-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #12

I only go to the rv lane when I need propane. For the same reason you said ... the people in the cars make it difficult to maneuver and they park everywhere. And it is much easier to navigate in the bigger space. I have never been asked to move from the truck lane.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never have used the RV lane. Never have been admonished for using the truck lanes.

If i were told to move I would just ignore it.

As stated, the PFJ web site states that any lane can be used, auto, RV or truck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Remember this is a minimum wage employee that probably needs direction

The ONLY times I've used Pilot, I used the truck lanes and usually the truckers are glad to get in line behind me cuz they know I will be faster than the trucks !

but on the rare times we do need to go in, I always pull up so the next guy in line can start filling...

oh, and I do have their rv card, so it's swipe and fill... and def @ $2.79 out the pump is EASY